Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 03:51 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
It's a choice for someone to become an American citizen.

Could it be worded differently? Sure. Do I have a problem with the entirety? No.

What is the big deal about saying The Pledge? This is The United States of America! Why do it's citizens have to be ruled by these people who don't appreciate the country they live in or believe in God? If you don't believe in God, then just stand there and be patient! The big, bad Pledge will be over in less than a minute! People should be thankful that this country has so far, "been under God" because if it weren't, I'd hate to think of where we would be now.

I, for one, am very sick of the Suprreme Court. THEY are the first major cause of the downfall of the USA, with their bleeding rules that became law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 03:54 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
I agree 100%. If I was going to school in another country and the nation's pledge was referencing a different deity, I honestly wouldn't care saying it in a pledge. People need to stop being so sensitive. They can worship their own deity in their own personal time, or simply don't say the pledge. Jesus.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:48 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
This is why I thank God I moved from there before I had kids. Still miss the fried clams, though.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:48 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Quote:
It's a choice for someone to become an American citizen.

Could it be worded differently? Sure. Do I have a problem with the entirety? No.
I suppose that different wording in the part about renouncing allegiance to any foreign power could resolve the issue you pointed out regarding dual citizenship, but I take that part of the oath to really mean that the person is not going to bear arms against the U.S., and that the person really means to become a fully participating American citizen, not just to be here to make money as long as possible. Dual citizenship is tricky because of mixed loyalties, but then, immigrants who drop their citizenship with their former countries are certainly still going to feel affection for the old country. For that reason, it might seem as if it would not work too well to build a nation with a large immigrant population, but this is why we have historically expected immigrants to really be sure about their loyalty to the U.S. before they become citizens. When we have done it that way, it has actually worked pretty well for a couple of centuries now.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:28 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,904 times
How can a person be a citizen of two different nations anyway? Doesn't this show some sort of a lack of conviction?
Personally I do not want to grant citizenship to people who need to have some sort of escape valve if they don't like it here. It's not like we are handing out lollipops.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:30 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,904 times
As far as the Pledge goes, It really always has been more of a way for the school to start the day than anything else. It is a way snap the kids to attention.
IMO it is a good idea.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
I suppose that different wording in the part about renouncing allegiance to any foreign power could resolve the issue you pointed out regarding dual citizenship, but I take that part of the oath to really mean that the person is not going to bear arms against the U.S., and that the person really means to become a fully participating American citizen, not just to be here to make money as long as possible. Dual citizenship is tricky because of mixed loyalties, but then, immigrants who drop their citizenship with their former countries are certainly still going to feel affection for the old country. For that reason, it might seem as if it would not work too well to build a nation with a large immigrant population, but this is why we have historically expected immigrants to really be sure about their loyalty to the U.S. before they become citizens. When we have done it that way, it has actually worked pretty well for a couple of centuries now.
Even after having taken that pledge, the NY City Bomber who failed in his attempt shows that even then there are those who are out to bring us down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
As far as the Pledge goes, It really always has been more of a way for the school to start the day than anything else. It is a way snap the kids to attention.
IMO it is a good idea.
It worked pretty well too, IMO.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:23 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverenuff View Post
yep, only in Massachusetts...

Or not...

Pledge of Allegiance flap divides Vt. town: Times Argus Online

Old 07-17-2010, 07:50 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
What is the big deal about saying The Pledge? This is The United States of America! Why do it's citizens have to be ruled by these people who don't appreciate the country they live in or believe in God? If you don't believe in God, then just stand there and be patient! The big, bad Pledge will be over in less than a minute! People should be thankful that this country has so far, "been under God" because if it weren't, I'd hate to think of where we would be now.

I, for one, am very sick of the Suprreme Court. THEY are the first major cause of the downfall of the USA, with their bleeding rules that became law.
I graduated from high school in 2003. Very few people, if any, said the Pledge with conviction. It was more just something of a ritual than actually taking pride in the country. It had become meaningless to us. Most of the time, I never did say it (or follow along when it was done over the pa system). Few if any my classmates did.

I don't think things have changed that drastically in seven years.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I graduated from high school in 2003. Very few people, if any, said the Pledge with conviction. It was more just something of a ritual than actually taking pride in the country. It had become meaningless to us. Most of the time, I never did say it (or follow along when it was done over the pa system). Few if any my classmates did.

I don't think things have changed that drastically in seven years.

Well I graduated HS in '70 when America was still America and just begining to go downhill ( I think basically because of "us" really). Kids in those days followed rules and obeyed authority for the most part. Even if we "just had to". I was brought up by parents who fought in WWII and were very happy and proud of this country Grandfather fought in WWI too. I may not have appreciated the Pledge when I was young either, most kids don't, but when you get older, those words are ingrained in your mind and heart and if you (not you imparticular just general you...people) are smart enough, they really mean what the words say.

On another note and why I dropped in and not saying that this could only happen in Mass. but I couldn't find an apppropriate thread and don't really want to go into the "real" political forum (cluck, cluck).......

Yesterday on the way to work, I saw a group of ladies out with signs of IMPEACH Obama and a table to get signatures. I stopped of course! Me thinks the groundswelling of voters is growing and growing. Before I even go out of the yard to work yesterday a neighbor came over to talk politics and was saying he thinks more and more people who are of that persuasion will take it upon themselves to try and get rid of Heir Obama.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-17-2010 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: let's not go there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts