Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 11:23 AM

2 posts, read 4,711 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My boyfriend recently got offered a new job in South Boston. His territory will extend up to Boston all the way down to Providence and even covering all of Cape Cod. We are looking for an apartment somewhere in the middle of that area. Looking for a young neighborhood with some great shops and restaurants within walking distance. Any suggestions on different cities to live in if you're moving from Cleveland?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 11:30 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,303,804 times
There's not really much in the way of shops and restaurants within walking distance anywhere between Boston and Providence or Cape Cod. You have a lot of sleepy suburban/small town communities. It's kind of like having a territory that stretches from Cleveland to Sandusky and Mansfield. There's nothing in the middle of that area that's remotely urban.

The best options would be Boston itself or Providence, though Providence would be a hike if he had to go to the South Boston office frequently.

Within Boston, neighborhoods vary dramatically. What's your budget?

Old 07-06-2010, 02:13 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,777,178 times
I assume you mean within Boston. It all depends on Budget. Coming from cleveland, I'd say you are about to be shocked.

South End is a great neighborhood, that would work well for you. One bedroom without parking would be 1800+

Old 07-06-2010, 08:09 PM

385 posts, read 1,454,805 times
Like Holden said, there aren't many "young" cities/towns between Boston and Providence. There are some suburbs, like Norwood, that at least have walkable downtowns and some restaurants. But they wouldn't feel like being in a city.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:08 AM

2 posts, read 4,711 times
Thank you so much for your responses! I figured I would have some type of sticker shock with all of this. I think the budget is about $1500 tops for either a 1 bedroom or 2 (prefer a 2 bedroom with parking) we will both have cars.

What is Norwood like? Or have you heard of Brookline? Is there anything there that anyone would recommend?

Old 07-07-2010, 07:20 AM

613 posts, read 2,307,577 times
I live in Brookline! It's a great area, but it's essentially Boston, as in where I am, the Boston city line is about 1/2 mile. Norwood is a suburb of Boston. If you want to be in and around Boston, you'll have options, but you obviously won't be anywhere near Providence.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:58 AM

385 posts, read 1,454,805 times
Yeah, Brookline's great, but in addition to being practically in Boston, it's also one of the priciest towns around.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:28 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
Brookline doesn't allow overnight street parking, so you would have to pay for that, or find an apartment that has off-street parking (and I can't see that happening for $1500, not for two spaces, anyway).

Old 07-07-2010, 08:43 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,303,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB2527 View Post
Thank you so much for your responses! I figured I would have some type of sticker shock with all of this. I think the budget is about $1500 tops for either a 1 bedroom or 2 (prefer a 2 bedroom with parking) we will both have cars.

What is Norwood like? Or have you heard of Brookline? Is there anything there that anyone would recommend?
Norwood is pretty sleepy. It's a quiet suburban town with a small downtown. Route 1 passes through, with a lot of hotels, shopping and car dealerships, many of them owned by Ernie Boch.

Everyone here's heard of Brookline! It's right next to Boston and the birthplace of JFK. As people have told you, it's nice and quite urban (at least the northern half), but it's quite expensive.

You might look in Newton. It's a nice, largely upscale, suburb just west of Brookline, but it has a lot of decent rentals in your price range with parking and yard, in 2-family homes. Newtonville, Newton Centre and West Newton are some neighborhoods in Newton with small walkable downtown areas. The commuter rail stops in Newtonville and West Newton (at least at rush hours) and takes 20 mins or so to South Station, which is right next to South Boston. Quick access to South Boston via the Mass Pike (about 15 mins), access to other highways such as Route 128 to head south.

Another option, south of Boston, is Quincy. It's a small city with T access to Boston and a lot of affordable rentals. It's also heading in the right direction, near route 3 for Cape Cod and 93, which takes you to 95 south to Providence. Quincy Center, Wollaston and North Quincy T stops probably offer the most in terms of shops and restaurants. The Quincy Adams station has a large parking garage and is a pain to walk to because it's surrounded by highway-like roads.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:48 AM

2,723 posts, read 6,112,557 times
Whereas your BFs job will be based out of South Boston, South Boston sounds like a better option than Brookline. It's more reasonably priced, street parking is an option, and 93 South is right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts