Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 07:43 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times

Advertisements

I am talking about food, which is what I posted about. I figure my teenage girls can order anything off of the cape via internet shopping. I am sure we will take a few trips to New York City and Boston. I want little shops myself and my 4yr old son doesn't do the clothes thing.lol Thank goodness!
My husband is a plumber so he usually starts to gravitate to the the male sections of stores and starts talking about building something. Even though we don't rely on his plumbing anymore he still loves to do it on the side! I call him superplumber because if something breaks related to plumbing in the area they'll come knocking for him and he'll shoot out the door to save the day.lol If there is a hardware store he will find it. Barnstable and Orleans both look great in the pictures! Everything back there looks like a movie to me I am so use to dirt and cactus. I don't care about a big yard and I am not going to have any large animals (cats or dogs) just a gerbal. We bike ride a lot so thats how we get outside. With the beaches around I don't imagine you really need a large yard to get out in? It seems there are a lot of retired people on the Cape which would be good for my mother whom I will probably be bringing with us to stay. I also notice in the real estate section a lot of mother-in-law set ups. People keep saying it expensive there, do they mean the food and toiletries or just housing? I notice we will have to spend about 400, to 500,000 on a house with 4 bedrooms out there, does that sound about right? Our electric is what kills us out here in AZ but I wonder if heating is about the same or more? I pay about 400 to 500 dollars a month here for air conditioning and electrical needs. Is that what you pay in the winter months? I know a lot of questions but I do like to here what the locals say because real estate sites all say what you want to hear not what you should hear, you know. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 07:50 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
Oil heat can be really expensive. Many of the houses may be propane gas--less expensive and of course it all depends on how well the house is insulated and its age.

From my experience, I have preferred gas and oil over electricity, but others differ depending on their locale and experience.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:57 PM

414 posts, read 2,280,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I do, I want the seasons to match the holidays, I want the news to contain more than the amount of murders and such that have consumed my city. I want long boring winters to get school work and business done in and I want a crowded fun summer with the smell of salt and lobster in the air. I want corney out door festivals and concerts and most of all I want a fireplace that I can actually use! Does it sound like I want Cape Cod? I hope so. I know there will be things I don't enjoy, but I feel it's time to make a change. I don't want to get to old in AZ. How long have you been on the Cape? And from where did you come from? Thanks for the info!
The Cape is definately the place you want to be then!

Old 06-21-2007, 08:45 PM

I here that a lot on the post for MA, people tend to like oil and gas. It's the same here for ac. If you have a house thats a little older and it's not energy efficient than your bills will be high. Since I am not use to the cold I imagine mine will be high anyway.lol
I am glad you think I will like it there, I do to. Things are just to fast for me here, I don't ever feel like I can keep up. I don't even like to use the freeway out here anymore its so fast and people get so mad at you if you don't drive like a race car driver. I am sure its a little Boston as far a traffic goes. There are not many places to go a feel a town feeling out here except for Flaggstaff and it is so full of students you can't do anything that doesn't involve them somehow. I like students but they don't mix well with small ones. Well, once again thanks for all the post, I was a little afraid no one would reply from Cape Cod.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:32 PM

17 posts, read 122,654 times
I grew up in Orleans, and there are two grocery stores in that town. The closer you get towards P-town, there aren't really any grocery stores along the way, until P-town. (provincetown)
Kids learn to be creative on cape cod.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:25 AM

54 posts, read 227,803 times
ok twiggy, I have two kids i brought up here and there have been alot of changes. It has grown alot sinced youve been here i can be certain. I live in Mashpee and I think it would be a perfect fit. The schools here are very good! I taught an art class in the 1-6 schools and my kids loved it. There is alot to do and there are two very good supermarkets with in 5 minutes drive. the traffic is not bad and you are inbetween falmouth and hyannis (which are both very crowded now). There are houses that are quite reasonable and there are outragous ones too. you can find a decent home for a family here around 299,000. yea that is decent up here. they have a great fire dept. police dept and senior center and boys and girls club. Oh the beaches in Mashpee are the best. Sanwich is rocky. but after 4 you can go to any beach. the taxes are much lower in mashpee too. And one more thing...we are culturally diverse. So any other questions I can help you with just let me know. Cat from cape.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherine777 View Post
ok twiggy, I have two kids i brought up here and there have been alot of changes. It has grown alot sinced youve been here i can be certain. I live in Mashpee and I think it would be a perfect fit. The schools here are very good! I taught an art class in the 1-6 schools and my kids loved it. There is alot to do and there are two very good supermarkets with in 5 minutes drive. the traffic is not bad and you are inbetween falmouth and hyannis (which are both very crowded now). There are houses that are quite reasonable and there are outragous ones too. you can find a decent home for a family here around 299,000. yea that is decent up here. they have a great fire dept. police dept and senior center and boys and girls club. Oh the beaches in Mashpee are the best. Sanwich is rocky. but after 4 you can go to any beach. the taxes are much lower in mashpee too. And one more thing...we are culturally diverse. So any other questions I can help you with just let me know. Cat from cape.
Sounds perfect! Believe it or not the home prices in AZ have caught up with the Cape so 300,000 sounds great to me. I was expecting 500,000. I always think it's strange out here to pay 400,000 for a box in the desert with a strip mall and a walmart for scenery, but people do. I have seen the real estate page for Mashpee and it looks promising. The Cape might be boring to people in Mass, but coming from Phoenix is a different story. There really is nothing to do or see out here unless you drive 3 or 4 hours and adobe houses with a few cool rocks seems so ridiculous after that drive. You can get to a California beach in 7 hrs. but you might not get to swim in it because of pollution and the seafood sucks. Pardon my french.
Rock Lobster isn't the same no matter how much butter!

Old 07-02-2007, 02:05 PM

54 posts, read 227,803 times
oh i will also add that we have the cape cod childrens museam. you can pay 500,000 and up for a house but why? I have a 4 to 5 bedroom house in a lovely cul-d-sac (kid friendly) hood and it would sell for between 305.-330. if I'm lucky. the market is loaded in sales. Also we have the mashpee commons shopping area, its an outdoor mall with the best fireworks in aug. and christmas. look it up online. also the new seabury market place is grate for kids. the ele. school is great as well as the new highschool. but you can still get to boston very quickly as well as the rest of the cape. take care, im actually relocating to the north or south michigan, vt, ny or new orleans depending on my husbands job. I would like to hang on to this house though because i would like to have it to retire in. well see though. talk to you later. cat.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:44 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I am wondering for year round residents what town would be best for everyday stuff like grocery shopping, doctors, schools etc? What town would be terrible? Also, what is the best kind of car to have down there? Thanks
why not check out Plymouth near the cape and Boston. I dislike Hyannis
Sandwich is now big money, also try to get your home insured on Cape Cod, ask B4 you leap. Frankly all the Cape is way different. Chatham is the best of all.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
why not check out Plymouth near the cape and Boston. I dislike Hyannis
Sandwich is now big money, also try to get your home insured on Cape Cod, ask B4 you leap. Frankly all the Cape is way different. Chatham is the best of all.
I remember loving Plymouth. What about the nuclear plant? Is that worrying anybody out there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts