Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2010, 09:09 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,084,365 times

Advertisements

I lived here for 8 years and moved away for 4 and now we're back again. I have always noticed people up here had a different style than what I am used to. I just thought it was early american type of yankee thrift... Recently, I discovered it's called Primitive Country or something like that. I even heard someone use the word "primitive" today at the Christmas Tree Shops.

It's so not for me. I prefer transitional style of decorating. But I am fascinated about this very New England style. I admire it and think it's quite homey.

Can anyone tell me what those old farm house doors are called? I'm trying to Google it so I can show a friend, but finding nothing. They look like a board with hinges. Obviously probably not as simple as that, but that's what it looks like to me. I see them a lot on old antique houses in rural areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 06:11 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,861 times
Gee, I don't know about any particular decor going on in MA. My son's house looks like a Pottery Barn catalog with all the latest colors and edgy furniture. A lot of the older people are still sporting wallpaper and colonial borders in their homes which gives them that *grandma's house* feel. What I don't get is the one-car garage. They're still building condos (where there's land to build) with one-car garages. Yankees don't ask for much, I guess.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:16 AM

10,014 posts, read 15,659,151 times
I've heard it referred to as Primative, Country Primative or maybe Rustic. Not really as popular now as it was at one time.

If you mean the real doors, this site seems to have some examples of styles of farmhouse doors.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:38 AM

Thanks Casey. I think those doors are close, but they are usually very old looking. Very shabby with no window. I need to just stop & take a picture.

Verobeach - I guess if you've come to MA and only been in your son's house you might not have seen this particular style of decorating. I've been in several homes here whether it be friends, family, or house hunting. Not only do I pick up on it in people's homes, but in the shops/stores where the stuff is sold.

This might help country primitive - Google Search

I was just happy to have a name for it so I could show some friends who have never been to New England. That style is very unique to this area.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:06 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,356,930 times
Hi Kelley- I used to own a 200+ year old house and had those doors. We had 2 on our barn and one on the side of our house that was not used but we kept to retain the look of the house. I don't know that they had a name per se, they were just barnboard doors.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:30 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,861 times
KellyCrash, I grew up in Massachusetts and I always considered this type of 'decor' as no decor at all, just homes needing updating.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:50 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Doors of Colonial New England pictures from new england photos on webshots

You probably mean plank or batten doors. C & P this link to see some examples. I used to hate the New England style too -- until I traveled around the country and came back.

There are imitations of it that do look trashy and kitschy (sp?) but the real thing is a work of craftsmanship and of art. I don't think primitive is the word. To me, primitive means something else. Country means something else. Genuine old New England is something unto itself.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:03 PM

This is exactly the style of door I was looking for a picture of. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts