U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 08:14 AM

2 posts, read 9,932 times

Advertisements

My husband and I (and our 7 month old) are looking to move from Somerville to the metrowest area... We are looking in Franklin, Medway, and Millis. We are hoping to spend around 300k and are hoping to find a nice neighborhood with a good amount of land (.5 acres).

We would love to hear how these towns rank from people who live in them or near by. Are there any other towns worth checking out? Any towns that we should stay away from?

I will be staying home, but my husband will be commuting into Boston. We also would like to find a house in a town with good schools.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 09:39 AM

925 posts, read 2,492,934 times
Franklin has the advantage of train access to Boston, although Medway & Millis are also quite nice quiet towns. Perhaps Holliston would be worth adding to the list - award-winning schools, nice town center, pretty neighborhoods & somewhat reasonable home prices compared with its neighboring communities. There aren't a ton of homes in that price range there but there are a few.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:00 AM

1,810 posts, read 9,959,891 times
Default Suburb is man's invention to jail woman

I think the definition of good school varies. Franklin is a bigger town than the other two. If you look at test results of different schools in town, you'll see a big variation. However, bigger town means more resources. Your taxes may not go up as fast.

I often suggest people go rent in the area before buying. There are many other criteria you find you want but have not thought about until you move out there. Suburb/Country living... very different than Somerville. Recent article in NYT says it cost more to live in the suburb.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:43 PM

8,401 posts, read 12,716,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
I think the definition of good school varies. Franklin is a bigger town than the other two. If you look at test results of different schools in town, you'll see a big variation. However, bigger town means more resources. Your taxes may not go up as fast.
True. There are more things to do in Franklin.

Medway has a shuttle bus that can take you to the train station in Norfolk if you need to commute to Boston.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:47 AM

2 posts, read 9,932 times
Thanks for the feedback. We do have Holliston on the list as well but thought we wouldn't be able to afford it. But we have found a few places in our price range that we are going to look at.

What about Ashland? Worth looking at?

Yes - Somerville is very different from Metrowest. We've have lived here for 5 years now and are ready to move... We are both very much looking forward to the suburban life and more than just a balcony for gardening.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:57 AM

925 posts, read 2,492,934 times
Ashland is home to one of the worst toxic waste sites in the country and there was a definitive study released several years ago connecting the site to a cancer cluster.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,305 times
Hi,

We are also in the situation, looking at Walpole, Foxboro, Natick, Holliston and Medway, trying to figure out what town would have the best school system, best value for a home and yet be a reasonable distance to Boston for commuting to work. It looks like the original post for this was posted awhile back, any additional information would be helpful.

Thanks,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts