Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 09:03 AM

41 posts, read 156,965 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't judge an entire state by one area. My work has taken me all over the country and throughout MA, and it has been my experience over and over again that MA over all is the worst state I've been in. It's not just because Boston is an old city, (the state of Virginia actually is where people first arrived and began to settle and you don't see the same things there), but a city being old has nothing to do with the way the people act and the fact that it is so dirty. History here is a definate point, but quality of life in MA is horrible. There is so much stress, (not that there isn't in most places), but the atmosphere from the way people live and act here has a very "dark" feeling to it. I grew up mainly in a very nice, clean, polite, quiet, well educated, relaxed area and as I've worked as an adult and traveled I have found some bad but a lot of good in just about every state but unfortunately here I can't say much good about at all. The south, for example, is extremely polite and the people there don't act like they are better than everyone else like they do here. In the south (like in most of the Western States) they care about their neighbors and don't push past others, drive insane and always want to get ahead of everyone else, talk on the top of their lungs, act rude, and refuse to admit that that there is life outside Massachusetts. As far as New England goes, I really like New Hampshire and visit there a lot so I am not trying to say that only where I come from has good points because I have been fortunate enough to visit most of the U.S. I know what I have experienced here and all over. I personally wouldn't advise anyone to move here especially if they are used to other places where the quality of life is so much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 09:19 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
Compared to other east coast cities, Boston is very clean. Take a walk through Philly, NY or DC and compare.

Our house is a gas fired hot water boiler and it's quite common around here--though what you are talking about is probably the steam radiators (which by the way, a flat I rented in SF was heated that way...). Anyway, the gas fired hot water boiler method is preferable around here as it doesn't dry out the air as much as forced hot air heat and it actually more even and thorough heating.

That said, the winters are long and cold, heating bills are ridiculous, there is no spring and summers are short, though can be hot and humid, interspersed with gorgeous humidity free days and the odd 58 degree rainy day like we had last Friday.

I've lived here for a total of 14 years, though not all at once (4 years college and then, 10 years ago, we came back). We're looking to leave but not for the all the reasons you mentioned.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:22 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1222 View Post
I wouldn't judge an entire state by one area. My work has taken me all over the country and throughout MA, and it has been my experience over and over again that MA over all is the worst state I've been in. It's not just because Boston is an old city, (the state of Virginia actually is where people first arrived and began to settle and you don't see the same things there), but a city being old has nothing to do with the way the people act and the fact that it is so dirty. History here is a definate point, but quality of life in MA is horrible. There is so much stress, (not that there isn't in most places), but the atmosphere from the way people live and act here has a very "dark" feeling to it. I grew up mainly in a very nice, clean, polite, quiet, well educated, relaxed area and as I've worked as an adult and traveled I have found some bad but a lot of good in just about every state but unfortunately here I can't say much good about at all. The south, for example, is extremely polite and the people there don't act like they are better than everyone else like they do here. In the south (like in most of the Western States) they care about their neighbors and don't push past others, drive insane and always want to get ahead of everyone else, talk on the top of their lungs, act rude, and refuse to admit that that there is life outside Massachusetts. As far as New England goes, I really like New Hampshire and visit there a lot so I am not trying to say that only where I come from has good points because I have been fortunate enough to visit most of the U.S. I know what I have experienced here and all over. I personally wouldn't advise anyone to move here especially if they are used to other places where the quality of life is so much better.
Actually quality of life in Massachusetts ranks in the top ten States of the nation.
I have no idea where you get your information from- but it is wrong.

If you care to challenge me on this I can surely provide objective data to prove you WRONG.
Well Utah? Yep sure-please- hardly the bastion for tolerance and progressivism.

You are a conservative -believe me New Hampshire is a blue state- and Virginia with Senator Webb questions the far right- Utah oh well- is 50 years behind the coasts. Great place if you want to deny life and live in the past.

Last edited by skytrekker; 08-12-2007 at 10:47 AM..

Old 08-12-2007, 06:26 PM

41 posts, read 156,965 times
I get my information from actually having lived and experienced almost all of the 50 States not just reading what someone writes as opinion or some survey taken from people who live in one place and don't have actual experice living in a lot of places. But you have your opinion just like I have mine and your rude response and putting down anywhere that is not Massachusetts only confirms what I said before: Closed minded and cannot see past the state that thinks they know it all which is why several people in other states surrounding it call people from here 'M*******s'.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:39 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
-believe me New Hampshire is a blue state
Used to be.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:45 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Used to be.
True. NH is about as conservative as it gets in New England.

LIVE FREE OR DIE!

Old 08-13-2007, 05:50 AM

702 posts, read 3,010,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1222 View Post
Your post are filled with the stereotypical drivel. I've visited 40 states and lived in several others and I have to say the Massachusetts have been one of the best in terms of balancing development and nature. The people have been quite nice to me. I've lived in the south and disagree about polite driving. You haven't lived in Atlanta and I've had people purposely bump my car after it has stalled because they were too impatient. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I would take it all with a grain of salt.

As for the cost of living in Mass to Cal. Without a doubt Coastal California has a much higher housing cost. It's hard to compare the entire state to Mass. as western Mass has very low housing and Calif. is a huge state.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:29 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,799,200 times
I lived in NY for around thirty years (NYC and Orange County) before coming to MA. I've been in MA for nearly 18 years, living on the Cape. The lower Cape (the "arm" of Cape Cod) is truly beautiful. Some of the most magnificant beaches in the country (but, the water is cold!) are here and, due to the protection offered by the lower Cape being largely owned by the federal government (National Park Service), underdeveloped.

Western MA, where I've visited, is also very beautiful. Spring and Fall are great out there! I don't care for densly populated urban areas, so don't find any city particularly attractive, Boston included.

And, as far as the residents of the state go, the vast majority seem perfectly polite to me. Go figure.

Rich

Old 08-16-2007, 03:43 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,278,203 times
"The south, for example, is extremely polite and the people there don't act like they are better than everyone else like they do here. In the south (like in most of the Western States) they care about their neighbors and don't push past others, drive insane and always want to get ahead of everyone else, talk on the top of their lungs, act rude, and refuse to admit that that there is life outside Massachusetts."

Sheer poppycock.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:28 PM

40 posts, read 158,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
"The south, for example, is extremely polite and the people there don't act like they are better than everyone else like they do here. In the south (like in most of the Western States) they care about their neighbors and don't push past others, drive insane and always want to get ahead of everyone else, talk on the top of their lungs, act rude, and refuse to admit that that there is life outside Massachusetts."

Sheer poppycock.
I love the Sheer poppcock. It gets right to the point.
I now reside in rural SC, have been called a yankee on several occasions and have had to reteach my 10 year old daughter that the civil war should not be referred to as the war of northern aggression. I hate it here. I have met some wonderful people but few and far between. As for the english language here.......... My little girl has been forced to say yes mam instead of yes please etc. The southerners are intolerant of northerners and might be polite to your face but quickly take a stab at you whenever they're at the southern baptist church picnic and word gets back to you sooner or later.
Anyhoos, I started looking in NC, thinking it would be better, better schools, better quality of life etc but when I checked the blogs re: NC, I felt that same unease of being hated because I am a northerner. Hence, my search for a new home has led me to the MA blog. I need to find out as much as I can online before I spend the 13 grand or so to relocate. I am on SSD and only work when I need to financially but schools and a kinder life for my daughter are of the utmost importance. I am looking for an ocean community, close enough to Salem for the activities but affordable. I've lived all over the country and have done well with my real estate transactions so I could afford to move back north right now. The south leaves something to be desired for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts