Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:45 PM

138 posts, read 463,791 times

Advertisements

My husband is checking out a job opportunity in Quincy. I am absolutely clueless about the Boston area. I need some major help with names of neighborhoods or other cities nearby to start researching. We're a family of 5 with one starting 1st grade this fall, 1 in his 3rd year of pre-school, and a baby turning 1 this month. We're looking for a family friendly neighborhood with a walkable playground and a house with at least 3 bedrooms but 4 would be better for our out of town grandparents. I'm under the impression that most schools in the area are relatively "good" but any to steer away from would be good to know. We have a rental budget of about $2250 and we're hoping for a commute of 15 minutes or less. I think the work location is close to the Quincy Center Station/Red Line.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 12:27 PM

10 posts, read 191,232 times
You might want to check out other South Shore towns.

Braintree, Weymouth, Milton, Hingham might be up your alley, especially with a large family. Weymouth might be the most affordable. All of them have the New England townish kind of feel to them, all with town centers and plenty of things going on.

I'd probably stay away from living in Randolph or Quincy, especially if you are going to be using the public schools. It's not that they are terrible, but they wouldn't be my first choice.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:14 PM

613 posts, read 2,307,577 times
Yes, Braintree and Weymouth are good choices for your needs.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:29 AM

779 posts, read 877,067 times
My husband and I lived in Quincy for 1.5 years, then lived in Weymouth for 1.5 years. Weymouth is much more family-friendly and our commute to Boston was actually shorter because we took the commuter rail (neither was 15 minutes). I've seen several 3 - 4 bedroom homes for rent for around $2K per month in Weymouth.

As for schools, I'm not sure which town is best...

Old 08-14-2010, 12:08 AM

Is it common to use a rental broker to help you find a place to rent? I have looked on Craigslist trying to get a handle on the rental situation and there are a ton of "fishing" posts by brokers. You know what I mean? The ones with titles in ALL CAPS with a lot of exclamation points and asterisks? I went hunting for the fine print on one of their websites and they charge half a month's rent to both the renter and the owner as their finder's fee.

Using google maps to search, I found two apartment complexes that offer 4 bedroom units. I'm not coming up with a whole lot of internet research. I have been concentrating on the Weymouth area. I did some checking online at the different school district websites and Weymouth seemed to be the one with the most information and a "together" online image. Hingham might be a little too far out west for us so I didn't really check into it. I was really impressed by the Boston SD information online. Seems like a great system in general. Would anybody recommend I look into Dorchester or Matapan as a neighborhood I'd want to live in?

Old 08-14-2010, 04:05 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsincredible View Post
Would anybody recommend I look into Dorchester or Matapan as a neighborhood I'd want to live in?
No.

Did you check Braintree?

Old 08-14-2010, 04:38 PM

613 posts, read 2,307,577 times
No to Dorchester and Mattapan.

Try Milton, but it's will likely be more expensive than Weymouth and Braintree.

A broker's fee is pretty common around here. Sometimes the person renting has to pay the full fee (one month's rent). The fee is how they earn their commission.

Craigslist is a pretty popular way to find rentals in this area. I'm sure it's not the only way; esp. for the suburbs. Try doing a search on Craigslist for no-fee/by owner rentals.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:19 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,092 times
Seconded. Avoid Dorchester / Mattapan. Boston city schools unless you get into Boston Latin are not very good.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:37 PM

Ok, I need some serious help. =( We are getting a fly out next week for my husband to have an on-site interview. I have been calling around to apartment complexes that say online that they have 4 bedroom units (usually townhouses) on the property. I think though that the units are very few and the people that are currently living in them, have been there a long time and have no intentions to leave anytime soon.

I am not sure what to do next. I have been looking on CL and not feeling like I'm finding anything suitable. Even when I look at the places that charge a fee. We have 3 children and we are used to having a home with a lot of space, not to mention our out of town grandparents who come to visit and help with the kids. We could squeeze into a 3br but I imagine that it would take a lot of compromise and adjustment to our lifestyle. I'm used to sending the two older boys down to the basement to play when I need quiet time to put the baby to bed or just concentrate on getting bills paid or housework done.

I'm thinking this move may not work out to the best advantage of our family. Do the Quincy and Weymouth areas have newspapers online that might list housing rentals? Also, if we end up renting a house or in a house, am I going to have to deal with the idea of all of us sharing 1 bathroom??

Old 08-18-2010, 02:44 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Check the Patriot Ledger:

The Patriot Ledger, MA News - Quincy, MA - The Patriot Ledger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts