U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 10:22 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,272,950 times

Advertisements

What are some good grocery stores around here? So far not impressed with what we have seen (Shaws, Stop & Shop, Save-a-lot, ect) We live in Fall River, but drive to Dartmouth, Somerset, Swansea, Tiverton, parts of Providence, ect are doable for decent food at good prices

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 12:38 PM

199 posts, read 913,475 times
We try to buy local fresh fruit and vegetables from the farms and farmers' markets. The good news is that Bristol County still has a lot of farms so you should be able to buy some good produce.

See - Where to find pick your own farms and orchards in Massachusetts for fruit, vegetables, pumpkins and Christmas trees. - for a list of pick your own farms in MA, for Bristol County
See - Massachusetts Grown...and Fresher! - for a list of farmers' markets in Bristol County

Ocean State Job Lot is the best for non-perishables and other items (clothing, seasonal, household, school/office supplies, etc.); coupons offered online too. It's is a local, discount RI chain so you may not see a particular item on a return trip as they buy brand-name overstocked or discontinued products.

Still, I love, love, love Job Lot and it always amazes me what turns up at the store and for how much. Job Lot often sells the same products as Stop & Shop and often for half the cost of them too.

If you're in Fall River, Tony's Bakery has the best Portuguese muffins! You can buy them at most Job Lots too.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:09 PM

11,362 posts, read 19,932,453 times
You've hit on one of the biggest down sides of living in Massachusetts. Groceries are too expensive and quality isn't always there. Many people who move here from somewhere else never find groceries like they had at home. Hopefully, you can fill the void a little bit.

In Fall River, Daou Market (President Avenue, near the rotary behind Mcdonald's, Newport Creamery, etc) is a good bet right near you. The food is fresh (touch the bags the bread is in, usually fresh out of the oven) and prices are reasonable. Not cheap, but reasonable. I don't think it's the full grocery shop type of place, but they have most products (good meats, produce and bakery items) at reasonable cost. The People's Liquor Warehouse next door. It's a good option for reasonably priced liquors and an incredible selection.

It's certainly not cheap, but Lee's Market on Main Road in Westport has EXCELLENT food. When I want good steak, that's my stop. It's a smaller grocery store, but they have most things. A great wine selection too.

My mother swears by Price Rite (there's one on Pleasant in Fall River, but the Swansea location near the mall is a little less... seedy). I think they're OK. The prices are good, quality is mixed. Not terrible, but not great. This isn't a bad place for non-perishables or pre packaged products.

It's a little bit further from you, but Trucchi's is good and reasonably priced. They have great meat specials. I think the closest one to Fall River's North End is in Taunton, on 140 Just off of exit 12B (Route 24N). It's a little bit of a hike (no worse than some of Providence and with less traffic).

Of course, there are the old standbys. There's a Sam's Club in Seekonk and a BJ's in Dartmouth. If you're a member you can already get discounts. If you're not, you may want to consider it as it's a great way to buy in bulk the items you may need in bulk. May parents make a weekly BJ's trip in their old age on Sundays. There are Walmart Supercenters not too far away either. One in Rayhnam (exit 13 off of 24) and I THINK one in Seekonk. Their prices are always relatively low. There are a few Whole Foods in Providence and I THINK there's a Trader Joe's in Warwick RI (I LOVE Trader Joe's). I've heard Trader Joe's is looking to move into Dartmouth soon, but time will tell. That would be a big addition.

As a rule of thumb, Shaws is the worst of the big chains in terms of price/quality. Stop and Shop is a little better. People mostly shop there for convenience and little else.

Hope that helps a bit.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:21 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,272,950 times
Thanks- will check out Lees for sure and Daou as well

Old 08-10-2010, 10:08 AM

1,540 posts, read 2,860,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Thanks- will check out Lees for sure and Daou as well
They have a few Aldi's in the Providence area. One is on Smith Street in Providence. They are low priced, but mostly on their own brands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts