Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2006, 10:28 AM

4 posts, read 18,682 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I have been offered a job down in Windsor locks CT, after doing some research, it seems it might be cheaper to live in southern Hampden county and commute. Anyone have any opinions on this?

Thanks
Wendell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2006, 09:01 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,483 times
Southern Hampden is cheaper than Windsor Locks area.

If you want that area, look for Agwam, Southwick, if you can tolerate a longer commute look at Hadley area.

Keep in mind what the property taxes are in the two areas - most towns in Western MA are pretty reasonable, MA has excise tax on the cars, CT does not, but I don't think that really is enough of a repellant to tell you to steer clear of MA.

I would recommend steering away from Springfield, Chicopee, Holyoke. Sometimes your car insurance actually triples when you live in those areas and the schools leave much to be desired. Higher crime too. I think you will find Southwick and Agawam have really low crime, the schools are good and they really do a good job of keeping the roads open in MA during the winter. There were times I WISHED I could use the snowy weather as an excuse not to go in to work, but those darn people had the roads clear and driveable in all but the worst blizzard.

BTW- many people live up in Southern Hampden ct and commute all the way to Hartford. Windsor Locks is not very far at all, just a hop, skip and a jump down 91. People speed like crazy, you have to keep your eye out for morons, but hey, that is New England for you!

If you want more info, ask away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts