Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 08:03 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,053,903 times

Advertisements

Woonsocket has done a study concerning commuter rail service to Providence, Boston and Worcester. All would be viable with different degrees of success. Providence-Worcester service will appear in the next 30 years.

Mt. Wachusetts should have service thru the old Central New England ROW. This would take it thru Clinton and Milford which presently have no commuter rail service. Although they are looking to extend the Forge Park line to Milford. Extend the Fitchburg line to Peterboro, N.H. This was one of the last B&M lines to lose passenger service in the 50's.

You did miss Amtrak service thru Providence to Cape Cod. They retried it in the 70's but the trackage had deteriated too much since the last NH service. I think this will soon be a priority line for Amtrak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 08:49 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Idk about Amtrak restoring service to Cape Cod that might be too short of a line to restore. Amtrak is more of an Intercity service then commuter / tourist service here in the Northeast. The MBTA might restore service to that line. I think Providence - Worcester line will have a decent amount of ridership 6,000-10,000. We had so much Rail and Transit and we ripped it all up and now were putting it back. The Good thing is its not that expensive to do , the bad thing is it takes decades to happen. Service on the Fitchburg line looks like it will be extended back to Gardner and Eventually Greenfield.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:12 PM

4 posts, read 10,907 times
After commuting in NYC, the most glaring problem with Boston inner city transit is no rail link between North & South Stations. NYC has the Penn Station <> Grand Central terminal shuttle so no matter how you get into the city (ie where you live) via commuter rail you are not really time penalized for not going the a station that has your subway line near it. And they are adding LIRR direct to GCT train lines as we speak.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:05 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,303,510 times
There isn't a Penn to GCT shuttle, as far as I know. The one from GCT goes to Times Square. From there, you walk through a passageway to get to the A/C/E line, then go south one stop. This will be a little more simplified once the 7 is extended a couple blocks west, but still it's not direct.

It's just as complicated as going between North and South in Boston (red to orange or green)

Old 09-09-2010, 12:47 AM

Here are the Amtrak plans for the Northeast Corridor in the Boston region. All those light grey lines will be future MBTA / RIDOT Rail lines.

You can see why your state is very important to New England.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:13 PM

I have upgraded my plan , and included proposals or what the system might look like for systems in Worcester and Springfield and expansions in Boston.

Planned Regional Rail / MBTA Transit by 2040

Greenfield / Fitchburg line
Worcester / Ayer / Lowell line
Northampton / Greenfield line
Manchester / Lawernece line
Portsmouth / Newburyport line
Concord / Salem line
Newport / Fall River line
Stoughton / New Bedford line
Cape Cop line
Woonsocket line
New London / Worcester line
New Haven - Springfield line

Blue line extension to Lynn
Boston Airport People Mover
Blue line extension to Charles / MGH

Proposals

Proposed Blue line extension to Malden
Proposed Green line extension to the Yards
Proposed Green line extension to North Cambridge
Proposed Green line extension to Malden
Proposed Green line Circulatory
Restoration of the Green line to Arboyway / Forest Hills

Proposed Extension of the Mattapan light Rail to Fairmount / Hyde Park
Proposed Park Ave streetcar - Worcester
Proposed Route 122 Streetcar - Worcester
Proposed Main Streetcar - Worcester
Proposed East Providence streetcar - Springfield
Proposed Northeastern streetcar - Springfield
Proposed Northern Streetcar - Springfield
Proposed Southern Streetcar - Springfield
Proposed Eastern Streetcar - Springfield
Proposed Downtown Loop Streetcar - Springfield

Massachusetts 2040 Regional / Urban Rail plan - Google Maps

Old 11-17-2010, 06:43 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,097,557 times
Just curious where these proposed street cars are being proposed,i have heard of no such thing. and what the hell is a proposed east providence streetcar in Springfield.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
Just curious where these proposed street cars are being proposed,i have heard of no such thing. and what the hell is a proposed east providence streetcar in Springfield.
That was an error , i mean't to say West Springfield Streetcar , i accidently mixed the Rhode Island plans into Mass. I get the Streetcar Proposals for bloggers and my own thoughts on how a starter system should start. They usually get built that way.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:40 AM

12,819 posts, read 21,993,461 times
It's cool to look at. Nice work.

Why do you have rail connecting from Attleboro to Taunton? That's not proposed anywhere. It was considered as an alternative to Fall River/New Bedford (which will go through Taunton and then Stoughton, but not Attleboro) but is since obsolete. The Fall River Line will not touch Attleboro even though old proposals considered it an alternative but will connect via Taunton and Stoughton. Attleboro currently continues into Providence (and down to TF Green Airport in Warwick as of next week and Kingston, RI as of next year).

Old 11-19-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
It's cool to look at. Nice work.

Why do you have rail connecting from Attleboro to Taunton? That's not proposed anywhere. It was considered as an alternative to Fall River/New Bedford (which will go through Taunton and then Stoughton, but not Attleboro) but is since obsolete. The Fall River Line will not touch Attleboro even though old proposals considered it an alternative but will connect via Taunton and Stoughton. Attleboro currently continues into Providence (and down to TF Green Airport in Warwick as of next week and Kingston, RI as of next year).
The line between Attleboro and Taunton will be used to move Equipment and not for regular service. The MBTA is starting to angry Amtrak as it moves its service down to Kingston , Amtrak wants the MBTA to use Electric Equipment on the Providence line. I think the Amtrak has ordered shore line east to change over to electric by a certain date aswell. In my opinion the MBTA will be forced to Electrify a decent chunk of there system by the end of the decade due to rising oil costs. I only see the Southern system being electrified , the Northern system isn't used by much. Also i think to run an effiencent system , the Northern NEC needs to be completely 4 tracked , 3 tracks in my opinion isn't enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts