Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 02:39 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,393,259 times

Advertisements

Maybe if we legalize most drugs there will be fewer drug dealers. Its the only thing we haven't tried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 03:18 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,303,510 times
I never considered Ludlow to be a typical suburb. I've only been that way a couple times, but it seemed to have more character to it than some anonymous MetroWest suburb with nothing but subdivisions and strip malls.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:01 PM

436 posts, read 1,522,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachertype View Post
I don't think she's generalizing about the suburbs. You miss the point. The point she made is that people express very negative generalizations about cities like Springfield and more positive generalizations about suburbs that haven't been true or accurate, in her experience.

I happen to agree with her. I've only had very good experiences socializing with people in Springfield. The Springfield Public Schools have some excellent programs with very committed teachers and staff and a fantastic bunch of kids.

Her point is a valid one. Don't buy into all the positive hype about suburban life and don't knee-jerk dismiss the cities as offering nothing of value.

Thank you. This was my point. I was trying to say that people tend to look at suburbs as a safe haven for their families. Then tend to think that it is going to be better than the "big city" and it isn't always. They assume that it is safer and nicer. And I wasn't meaning specifically Ludlow or Springfield just the idea of small town vs. "big" city.

Yes, I know all cities/town have drugs. I just didn't expect to see more of it in a suburban neighborhood than in the city.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:46 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
Like it or not, people aren't moving to places like Springfield because statistically there is much more crime, and the schools overall do not measure up to a typical "suburb" like the Longmeadows or Wilbraham. Soleless or not, these are typically the places where anyone with a brain or the means wants to live, unless of course they want to send their kids to private schools. Most people aren't willing to let their own idealism put their families at risk. Sorry, that's just reality.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:19 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamom1 View Post
Yes, I know all cities/town have drugs. I just didn't expect to see more of it in a suburban neighborhood than in the city.
It may be that you just happened to live in one of the worst spots in Ludlow.

But a parent should never ever let their guard down and assume that it's enough that they live in a "safe haven" of a neighborhood. There are drugs and crimes going on even in the best of gated communities. No one can control what goes on in the privacy of peoples dwellings. No one can control who passes through their neighborhoods on the public streets.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:07 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,148 times
It's tough I've known people who have opted to send their kids to private or parochial school to avoid the problems that plague many public schools. All quickly find out alcohol , drugs and promiscuity can be found in even the toniest schools. Same for towns and cities in some places it's more blatant but rest assured even in the places it isn't those problems still exist. It just stinks when a first hand experience brings it to light n

Old 09-08-2010, 10:41 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
Private schools might seem ok but the teachers make less than those in public schools (due to lack of resources in the private school and larger unions in public) Parochial isn't bad as a concept but it depends as where they are going. A religious college teaches someone to be better within their religion it doesn't exactly apply to a degree. Public and Private colleges can only accept so many religious courses as free electives if they transfer. I've met one that was a whole year behind due to this (came in as a junior but was technically a sophomore)

suburbs differ just as cities have. The so called "white flight" has reversed though. Cities are now attracting those with higher educations and poor are headed to suburbs now.
‘White Flight’ in Reverse: Younger, Educated Whites Back Into Cities | Political News and Opinion for African-Americans on Politic365
Now this isn't to say that nightlife, culture and things to do can't be found in the suburbs but let's be honest here. It is easier to build in cities than suburbs. Why? Well in a city you have apartments. If someone doesn't like what's going on down the street they can move to a new one. In suburbs if someone doesn't like what's going on down the street they have to put their home up for sale and find another one...

Old 09-09-2010, 07:10 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Well in a city you have apartments. If someone doesn't like what's going on down the street they can move to a new one. In suburbs if someone doesn't like what's going on down the street they have to put their home up for sale and find another one...
There are many advantages to renting over buying. As I've said in other threads, there's no shame in being a lifetime renter. Owning a home isn't for everyone. And buying and selling a dwelling is not a fast and easy process for most.

However, the number of rental units in urban areas has diminished greatly in the last few decades because of the (evil IMO)condo making frenzy. Landlords were more than happy to cash out, make a huge profit on their investments, and make their apartment buildings into condos.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,888 times
Hello, I live in Ludlow and I have to disagree with the original statement. Yes, there is drug use in the schools and yes, there are drug dealers that live in Ludlow; but I would challenge you to name a single town that does not have either of those things. It isn't as if drugs are running rampant throughout the schools. What makes this a bit ridiculous is that Ludlow is being compared to Springfield, MA. As of 2006, there have been a total of 2260 violent crimes; including 15 murders, 115 rapes, 682 robberies, and 1448 aggrevated assaults. In Ludlow as of 2006, there were 0 murders, 0 rapes, 7 robberies, and 8 aggrevated assaults. Are you really going to attempt to say that Springfield is a better place to raise one's children overall in comparison to Ludlow?

Old 12-06-2010, 10:17 AM

102 posts, read 449,854 times
Default Gee Wally, how can you say such a thing about our neat suburbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Come think of it, how sad that cities have come to cause such knee-jerk dismissals while suburbs, an inherently soulless, anti-culture and dry-to-the-bone invention of modern times, continue to evoke so much over-rated hype. All because the very people who should have stayed in cities and developed them into the oasis of civilization and culture they are supposed to be...preferred to withdraw into the nothingness and ultimate misanthropy of the suburbs. Oh, well.
With all due respect, I live in a suburb. There's meaningful historical preservation, significant community involvement and participation with towns events, an active recreation department, a thriving arts and music scene, schools that enrich the student, and the nice feeling of knowing you'll always see someone you know at the local store. How is that soulless?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts