Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2010, 12:13 PM

7 posts, read 36,115 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am a fifty something empty nester. Years ago I left "the Hamptons" because they became overrun with glitz and materialisim, almost just like Manhatten. I am not complaining as much as I am just about shot age wise, tired, and looking for something peaceful but still beautiful. I miss the house on the lake. I miss biking to a warm beach. Now I am in Maine, which is gorgeous, but a little too cold, too critical. Looking for a gentle town of fellow artists, more brains than cash is fine. My idea of heaven is lavender and roses, basil, swimming in the lake, lilacs, biking to the beach, gentle people to have conversations with from time to time. Sort of my image of the south of France, though I've never been there. Thank you for your help. I have zeroed in on Wellfleet (on a pond) Truro, Vineyard or Nantucket. Maybe I should look at Shelter Island? The pond would be for swimming, so no milfoil. Trees are important rather than just dunes. Spend too long in the desert out west to be treeless. Thank you!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 09:10 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,797,189 times
I live in Wellfleet. You’d be well advised to spend some time in any of the places you’re interested in before committing, particularly during the “off season.” Living on the islands requires a certain kind of mindset, so I’d urge you to first consider the outer Cape. Wellfleet, Truro and even Provincetown are unique places. The summers do get crazy with lots of people, which is a down side. Shoulder seasons are great. I think there are a fair number of rentals available in the off season at reasonable rates and that’s how I’d approach this matter.

Best of luck,

Rich

Old 09-21-2010, 05:29 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
Lots of cash and brains is the theme on the C & I. As the previous poster suggested, I would spend some time in the off season before buying anything. Truro is beautiful year round and known for its affluent writers, as is Wellfleet. Something about the environment there, particularly in the off season, brings out the creativity in people. The Islands are beautiful, too, but once you're there, you're there. You're at mercy to a ferry schedule if you want to leave the island. At least in the outer Cape, although somewhat isolated, you can get i n your car and go wherever. Personally, if I had the $$$, I'd go with Truro. Even in the summers, it's still so peaceful there.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:07 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,393,259 times
Wellfleet and Truro - just spend some extended time there before you actually commit to it permanently. This is the best time of year there.

Enjoy!

Old 09-21-2010, 03:08 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
A matter of money, without question. I cannot think of any of the places mentioned that have more brains than cash. In fact, a lot of places draw rich brains! The Vineyard, I think, has a lively writing/art scene, but it's hardly low-income artists.
I concur with the idea that the OP should actually see these places (and look at prices, unless very rich) and see the off season.
The only major thing I can see is that Truro/Wellfleet are on the mainland (although a lousy drive up the road) but the islands are only accessible by ferry (or tiny airplanes).
No lilacs in the off seasons, that's for sure.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:07 AM

Thank you, everyone, very much for your kind responses. The internet can be amazing. I actually went for last weekend and am now madly in love. (With gull pond and coast guard beach.) I liked Provincetown because it seemed very gentle and artistic.....everyone seems to get along. If anyone would ever like to sell a house on Gull pond in Wellfleet....?

Gratefully, Sheila

Old 10-05-2010, 07:26 AM

Default ps re Nantucket

ps

I notice no one said Nantucket would fit the bill?

Old 10-05-2010, 05:23 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,148 times
Nantucket has been Hamptonized by the summer folk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts