Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 11:30 AM

735 posts, read 3,501,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
I want to point out that the only responses trevormead has gotten so far are from people whose forum names imply discontent with Massachuestts-- "...lost in Mass" and "leaving Mass" aren't really votes of confidence. Boston is a wonderful city for anyone to consider living in. It is expensive but lots of people figure out ways to make it work.
forums are mostly collectives of opinions. I gave responses based on my experience and what our young friend is looking for. You did not address his needs.

As far as the quote exclaiming Boston is a party every night? Not sure about that.

Boston is a nice small city. You have horrendous traffic and high living costs. I don't think these comments are any stretch of my imagination- it's just reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 01:21 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,509,244 times
Default Mass is in your blood or it isn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
I want to point out that the only responses trevormead has gotten so far are from people whose forum names imply discontent with Massachuestts-- "...lost in Mass" and "leaving Mass" aren't really votes of confidence. Boston is a wonderful city for anyone to consider living in. It is expensive but lots of people figure out ways to make it work. I'm surprised you didn't get any responses from some of our local enthusiasts but if you have time, read through some of the threads here, like "Do you miss Massachuestts?" for an idea of what people love about the city and the region. The very expensiveness tells you that, like New York, Chicago, San Francisco, and D.C., this is a place people want to be. Here's an example from the Rhode Island forum--in May a young woman named Megad00dle wrote to say that she'd visited Providence thinking of taking a job there. She went up to Boston on the same trip and immediately liked Boston so much more. She wondered if she'd be making a mistake to move to Providence--and Providence, by the way, is an up-and-coming city that lots of people say good things about. One of Megad00dle's responses was the following, from "my2kidsmom":
I agree, if you commute from Boston to Providence, the train is the way to go, but it will still take you at least an hour each way. I have lived in both Boston and Provodence. Boston from when I was aged 19-27 and Providence age 27-34. Boston is a million times more fun, has so much more to do, is filled with so many more people your age. Every night is a party in Boston, especially in the nicer weather! Plus, there are so many more options for where to work and live in Beantown. Providence IMO, is totally overrated, has NOTHING going on, the wages stink, and it is very hard to meet people. Can you get a job and live in Boston? I really think any 22 year old would prefer Boston over Providence any day!! I never got used to how lame Providence was, and I always missed living in Boston. Good luck!
Now, that's advice for a 22 year-old but it's coming from someone in her thirties who sounds like she'd still be in Boston if she could. Years ago I was driving a cab in Boston and some Californian got in who talked about how he'd been walking all over Boston and it had so much character in every nook and cranny that it reminded him of San Francisco in a way that no American city ever had. Now I don't know if S. F. is everyone's gold standard for what a city should be, and you'll always find people who'll put it down, but it's a great, unique, wonderful place--and so is Boston.

I understand you defending Boston. And I love the commonwealth and wish to come back to live sooner rather than later. But living in Massachusetts/Boston is for a the few that have the the baystate in their blood. Ny'er and leaving MA are telling the truth. Eastern Mass is extreme expensive as opposed to the rest of the country excluding the west coast. And the night life ends at 2am, well even earlier considering the T-stations shut down a 12:30am unless there's a sox game. Both Ny'er and leaving MA. are just giving trevormead a heads up.
With all that said. I would like to say THAT THERE IS NO BETTER PLACE ON THE PLANET TO CELEBRATE THE 3RD AND 4TH OF JULY ON THAN MASS! NOT NY., NOT SD, AND NOT DC. NOWHERE!!!!!!! I ready to rock out and enjoy the chaos that is the south shore on the 3RD and 4Th.
HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!

Old 07-02-2007, 04:37 PM

241 posts, read 755,879 times
Unless you're financially and vocationally secure, Boston is not the city to relocate to. I just moved back to NC and havent looked back. Boston has its strong points, but the negative are much heavier! Please, do yourself a favor and dont waste a minute of your life northeast, especially Boston. So many other places to explore and settle down. Personally, I find Boston dirty, overrated, crowded, and full of attitude. Life is too short to deal with them types of folk, or lifestyle..

Old 07-02-2007, 04:42 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
I want to point out that the only responses trevormead has gotten so far are from people whose forum names imply discontent with Massachuestts-- "...lost in Mass" and "leaving Mass" aren't really votes of confidence. Boston is a wonderful city for anyone to consider living in. It is expensive but lots of people figure out ways to make it work. I'm surprised you didn't get any responses from some of our local enthusiasts but if you have time, read through some of the threads here, like "Do you miss Massachuestts?" for an idea of what people love about the city and the region. The very expensiveness tells you that, like New York, Chicago, San Francisco, and D.C., this is a place people want to be. Here's an example from the Rhode Island forum--in May a young woman named Megad00dle wrote to say that she'd visited Providence thinking of taking a job there. She went up to Boston on the same trip and immediately liked Boston so much more. She wondered if she'd be making a mistake to move to Providence--and Providence, by the way, is an up-and-coming city that lots of people say good things about. One of Megad00dle's responses was the following, from "my2kidsmom":

I agree, if you commute from Boston to Providence, the train is the way to go, but it will still take you at least an hour each way. I have lived in both Boston and Provodence. Boston from when I was aged 19-27 and Providence age 27-34. Boston is a million times more fun, has so much more to do, is filled with so many more people your age. Every night is a party in Boston, especially in the nicer weather! Plus, there are so many more options for where to work and live in Beantown. Providence IMO, is totally overrated, has NOTHING going on, the wages stink, and it is very hard to meet people. Can you get a job and live in Boston? I really think any 22 year old would prefer Boston over Providence any day!! I never got used to how lame Providence was, and I always missed living in Boston. Good luck!
I was only giving my opinion to someone who is a similar age to me and similar situation. I never said I don't like MA or Boston, only the obvious and experiences I've had spending time there as a young professional. I was born and raised in MA, and I appreciate the positives but also realize the negatives of this commonwealth. I also don't think it would be fair for someone to sugarcoat Boston and hype the place up either. There is a place for everyone, not everyone was meant to live in Boston, Miami, LA, etc. My opinion is you can get just as good "quality of life" in other cities, depending on what a person is looking for.

I like to visit Boston, but living there is a different story. I spend quite a bit of time in Providence and think it is a fun city. It is a lot smaller than Boston so not quite a fair comparison. I've had a easier time meeting people in Providence than Boston though, but both places can be difficult. In Providence i find you met a lot of locals and every one already knows each other. I'm just finding more and more places in Boston and places like Brighton and Somerville are revolving more around the college students now.

My reasons for leaving MA have to do more with weather (i hate the cold), cost of living (ridiculous), people (i like the majority of people, but find people more accomodating in other parts of country), and just an overall quality of life. I've found a lot of areas are just as nice as MA without a lot of the issues i've listed above.

Quote:
With all that said. I would like to say THAT THERE IS NO BETTER PLACE ON THE PLANET TO CELEBRATE THE 3RD AND 4TH OF JULY ON THAN MASS! NOT NY., NOT SD, AND NOT DC. NOWHERE!!!!!!! I ready to rock out and enjoy the chaos that is the south shore on the 3RD and 4Th.
HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!
I'll have to comment and will find out soon. I'm heading down to D.C. this year for the 4th of July, which i've always wanted to do. I did 4th of July in Boston a few years ago, so i'm familar with that. This is my favorite holiday so we shall see.

Happy Independence Day also.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:51 PM

735 posts, read 3,501,796 times
I second that- Happy 4th to everyone. I like the area- don't get me wrong. Otherwise, I wouldn't be here. I just think in Trevor's case, there are far better choices as a recent grad.

And hey- Congrats Trevor!

The NY'er

Old 07-02-2007, 05:40 PM

1,396 posts, read 3,442,847 times
To Independence...

Old 07-02-2007, 06:22 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
That's cute! Happy 4th to everybody.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:59 PM

8 posts, read 22,370 times
Ha! Forums. Such a trip

I'm certain there's charm to any city on the map - travel bureaus and tourism departments stay afloat by pushing charm whenever they can. And of course there are going to be discontent people in each of those cities. But between this site, friends, family, and craigslist, I think I've settled on the Tacoma, Washington area. Nothing against Boston, it just seems like it'll be a bit too expensive for me right now, and I don't want to have to "get by" for the next year. Comfort is much preferred

You might even say the decision was my own little celebration of independence! Ha!

Old 07-02-2007, 09:23 PM

34 posts, read 166,954 times
[quote=trevormead;984807]I've spent my life in Colorado, and feel it's time to head east. Boston seems like a great area from all I've heard, but I'm a little worried about the cost of living. QUOTE]

From my experience, this forum seems to be a place for people who are in search of someplace better. Through that nature alone, one must be wary of the naysayers. Keep in mind that people who have information on a certain place are often here because they are researching a DIFFERENT place. While there is some legitimate information out there, such as house prices and nightlife available, a persons perception of their town will be clouded by the very reason they are here -- to dream of someplace else. Please keep that in mind, Trevor, when searching for a starting place in life. You are young, college-educated, adventurous (otherwise why would you be here?), and hopefully healthy, so the world is at your fingertips. My advise to you would be to not fret so much, close your eyes, and leap. At this point, you can't go wrong. You can be free, learn, and make mistakes at this point in your life. And rent... that is the best way to take a leap. Good luck!

Old 07-05-2007, 01:50 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,487,245 times
Boston is a great city. I think everyone is negative due to the cost of living. If you get over that housing hump, you'll find this is a great place to live. Lower your standard by finding a roommate; get rid of your car; ... etc.

Also, having a nice rich boy/girl friend helps!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts