Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 08:20 AM

1,395 posts, read 5,082,816 times

Advertisements

for the first time once it starts turning colder.

Right now i's 65 in the house and I'm cold!! I'm thinking it's waaaaay too early to turn on the heat tho. I would probably be fine if I put some socks and a sweatshirt on.

What temperture do you keep your heat on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 08:37 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,097,305 times
i keep mine off till maybe late october,but my mother turned hers on last night(but she is 77)

Old 10-03-2010, 10:15 AM

95 posts, read 201,538 times
Depends on how much money you want to pay for your heat. I usually try to not turn on my heat until the end of October/early November depending on how cold it gets. I may turn it on for a second if it's really cold and turn it off just to take the edge off from the cold and to heat up the house before the kids get up in the morning.

A lot of times, like today, I'm doing a lot of baking and cooking so that alone heats up the house. I also put on sweaters/sweatshirts and I invested in those fleece clog-type slippers from Lands End. Even in the winter when I'm home by myself during the day, I turn the heat down to about 60 and walk around with a blanket if I get cold. The thermostat gets turned down to 62 at night and I never put it above 68 during the day. It's just too darn expensive to keep the heat up all the time.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:00 PM

837 posts, read 1,224,821 times
I usually turn it on the end of October/beginning of November at the earliest. My heat is on budget billing, but since what I pay next year is based on how much fuel I use this year...y'know, economize

It's unseasonably cool here today and I think it took everyone by surprise. I'm in sweatpants, sweatshirt, and fuzzy socks. I'm still cold!

Old 10-03-2010, 12:01 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,646,316 times
I try to go until November, but usually end up putting it on by mid to late October. Once the house gets cold, the furniture, walls, and everything gets cold and makes it harder to heat everything up. The furnace then has to work twice as hard. I probably could save an oil tank a year if I wanted to, but would rather be comfortable and warm and just pay the $400 to fill up an extra time.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:15 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,363,275 times
I turn it on when I'm cold. To me, being cold at home is like camping or perching, not being home. However, I don't like the house too warm (and tend to like my environment a lot colder than most people, home and work).
I think it's safe to cover the compressor for the central air. On Oct. 1 here in eastern Mass., it was 77 degrees at midnight and 100 percent humidity. Gross.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:01 PM

45 posts, read 199,526 times
We have our thermostat set on auto for 56 overnight / daytime, 65 when we are home (5 am to 7 am; 3 PM to 10 PM). It hasn't come on yet, but I am thinking late October, early November

Old 10-04-2010, 10:09 AM

368 posts, read 1,387,962 times
I wanted it on yesterday! But my husband is from this area, and he told me to suck it up. So, I'm thinking late October?

Old 10-04-2010, 11:10 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,149,724 times
I've waited as long as February to turn my heat on. In the meantime, I insulate my windows a lot. And with a couple of my windows, I basically cover them completely up in the wintertime. Of course, in the house I wear thermal undershirts and leggings, and sweaters. I have many layers of comforters on my bed. My dogs are another source of warmth in my bed. And on the really cold days, I throw a roast in the oven.

I see no need to keep the house warm enough to run around in a t-shirt and shorts.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:46 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,097,305 times
i don't see the need to keep it warm enough for t-shirts and shorts either,but i do feel the need to keep it warm enough that my plumbing doesn't freeze and burst

leaving it off till febuary in some houses(or should i say most houses) would really cause some serious issues.that i am sure would cost a great deal more money than a couple hundred bucks in oil or natural gas or propane.

when my kids were little we kept the heat at 66 and now that they are grown we keep it at 62.and i feel like that is adequate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts