Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2010, 03:38 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times

Advertisements

I would love to be in salem during oct. Is the city decorated with halloween stuff & what goes on during this time ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 11:25 AM

3,688 posts, read 7,426,863 times
Haunted Happenings Salem Massachusetts - The Official Website for Halloween

Old 10-04-2010, 01:01 PM

613 posts, read 2,307,346 times
Oh yes. Salem knows how to work its history and capitalize on Halloween. October weekends get out of control crowded and very touristy, but it is fun. Definitely check out the website provided by gf2020.

ETA: I just went to the website and noticed that Salem has an "app" for its October/Halloween festivities. There really is an app for everything!

Old 10-08-2010, 08:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,995 times
Yes.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:31 AM

91 posts, read 189,411 times
I went last year, and it is wonderful! Halloween is my favorite holiday anyway, and there was so much to see and do in the town. All kinds of exotic shops, interesting costumed people, the history and magic of the place is a palpable experience! We loved the live performance called, "Cry Innocent", which has you as the jury for a witch trial. There were street musicians, wandering ghouls, and hot apple cider for sale. Fall is spectacular in New England (I love it anywhere). You can take ghost walks with a kooky tour guide, go through haunted houses and horror museums, or just watch the boats floating by and smell that crisp air! Yeah, I was in love. They also have a large arts and crafts market going on called Biz Baz so on top of all the great shops, they have vendors in the street. IT ROCKS.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:25 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
Don't want to be a DebbieDowner, but Salem has had problems in recent years on Halloween night regarding gangs and thugs (or what most would consider such) converging on the city.

The police have had to curb some of the potential problems by meeting crowds as they get off the commuter rail! But overall, I'm sure it's still a great take.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:02 PM

91 posts, read 189,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Don't want to be a DebbieDowner, but Salem has had problems in recent years on Halloween night regarding gangs and thugs (or what most would consider such) converging on the city.

The police have had to curb some of the potential problems by meeting crowds as they get off the commuter rail! But overall, I'm sure it's still a great take.
You know, I was just musing about that to my husband. I wondered if there was any vandalism going on with so many people in one area. It figures there would be a few rotten apples. My girls were talking about all the decorations for Halloween they wanted to put up at that time, and I wondered if anyone had problems with people splatting pumpkins or things like that. Guess we'll have to read the papers and plan accordingly when we move there.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:56 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,161,761 times
I just came from Columbus Day Weekend in Salem. Biz Baz was great! And being Wiccan, I ran into a friend of mine who had a booth there! Very exciting.
Yes the city was packed to the gills with people. Everything super crowded and yet I came across absolutely NO vandalism or illegal activity. I was literally out all day long and didn't even hear sirens once. It looked to me like everything was extremely well organized and planned out.
Although, the Biz Baz is finished, I'd still recommend everyone going. It's definitely an experience to visit Salem in October. The only thing is that Hotels in the City are most likely booked. I stayed on the outskirts in Peabody. So you may want to check Peabody, Danvers, Beverly for hotels/motels.
Have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts