U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 07:39 AM

368 posts, read 1,326,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling357 View Post
If there's a job for a school counselor to be found, we'll get it. My husband is a minority male veteran.
The sense of entitlement in this post is really appalling, actually...

Please do keep in touch and let us know where you end up... I'd like to make sure my children are NOT in a school that hires their staff based on status, vice qualifications.

And, if your husband is a veteran and he does run into problems finding a job that hires by status rather than qualifications, perhaps he could check out federal job opportunities, where he will get a 5 or 10 point preference in hiring? Perhaps his career could transition well to the Veterans Hospital, in some social work PDs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 12:25 PM

137 posts, read 228,029 times
I hope nobody is interpreting what I said as me feeling entitled. I guess it's a response really born out of frustration. I have watched highly qualified women with experience been thrown over for jobs for a man, any man. Minority men especially. Some men have been hired for jobs without even being fully qualified, so they have to work for the rest of their credentials during the first year. When a guy applies, they are basically accepted sight unseen. A man who graduated from my masters program with a C- and a background in being a dumpster salesperson was hired over a woman with a 4.0 and a background in community social work with families in the area. It's just a fact...in Maryland.

If Massachusetts works on the "who you know" system, I don't think that's really much better, but I guess there's corruption everywhere.

So, any suggestions on school districts?

Old 10-22-2010, 12:27 AM

548 posts, read 2,026,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling357 View Post
I have watched highly qualified women with experience been thrown over for jobs for a man, any man. Minority men especially. Some men have been hired for jobs without even being fully qualified, so they have to work for the rest of their credentials during the first year. When a guy applies, they are basically accepted sight unseen.
There's a lot of race baiting in these forums and even more from right wing trolls as we approach the elections. No women are "thrown over" for teaching jobs in Massachusetts, whatever that phrase means. In fact, at least at the elementary school level, there is a huge shortage of male teachers to the extent that they are somewhat rare.

No minority men are given a preference because of their race that I am aware of. I recently retired from Springfield, MA, an urban system where the student population is 75% minorities and 25% white, but the teaching staff is the opposite - 75% white and 25% minority. No one gets a free ride in on race or gender.

I have never heard of an instance of a teacher being hired "sight unseen." All teachers first submit a system application form, their resume, copies of their college academic transcripts, photocopies of their undergraduate and graduate college degrees and any awards or publications, their MA teaching license(s) and certifications, a CORI check through their local police, a tuberculosis test, and letters of recommendation. First, they would likely be interviewed by human resources followed by interview(s) with the school Principal, or the head of the department for their subject, a lead teacher, and sometimes parents or the Superintendent if it's a smaller system.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:55 PM

3 posts, read 4,831 times
I would suggest that you move to MA and interview and see for yourself where you want to work or not. I do not think anyone can answer this question for you. Do you want a town or city? I think only you can answer for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts