Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 08:57 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,052,827 times

Advertisements

I am looking into a position in Worcester and am trying to get a better feel for the area. My wife and I currently live in West Hartford, CT.
We are a professional Jewish couple and would like to continue living in a single family home with at least 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. We like to have easy access to ethnic restaurants, bookstores, etc (not big-box stores). We've got a dog, so would like safe areas to walk him. Does anyone have any suggestions for areas or towns that might suit us?

Thanks.

DandJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 09:35 PM

925 posts, read 2,744,433 times
Westborough is a very nice suburb that's close to Worcester. I grew up there & there are lots of nice neighborhoods where you could safely walk your dog. We have a reform and conservative temple & plenty of ethnic restaurants. I like the rabbi at the reform temple where my folks go. Re: bookstores, I have to say I wish there were more little gems of bookstores in the area. Westboro has some nice little mom and pop shops but has too many big box stores for my taste, although most of them are clustered along Rt 9. There's a nice Tatnuck bookstore in Westboro and a great little antique bookstore next door in Hopkinton and then there's Bearly Read Books in Sudbury, which I love, but it's a bit of a drive. Actually my husband has found homes for a few people who moved to Worcester for work & they chose to live in Sudbury. It's a bit of a hike if you ask me but a gorgeous town with very well rated schools.

Also, when you say easy access to shops, do you mean walkable or just a short driving distance? I will say that one issue we hear from people moving to the area is they're surprised by the lack of walkability to things in many of the burbs.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:19 AM

88 posts, read 233,720 times
The West Side of Worcester

Old 10-22-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmann-sherborn View Post
Westborough is a very nice suburb that's close to Worcester. I grew up there & there are lots of nice neighborhoods where you could safely walk your dog. We have a reform and conservative temple & plenty of ethnic restaurants. I like the rabbi at the reform temple where my folks go. Re: bookstores, I have to say I wish there were more little gems of bookstores in the area. Westboro has some nice little mom and pop shops but has too many big box stores for my taste, although most of them are clustered along Rt 9. There's a nice Tatnuck bookstore in Westboro and a great little antique bookstore next door in Hopkinton and then there's Bearly Read Books in Sudbury, which I love, but it's a bit of a drive. Actually my husband has found homes for a few people who moved to Worcester for work & they chose to live in Sudbury. It's a bit of a hike if you ask me but a gorgeous town with very well rated schools.

Also, when you say easy access to shops, do you mean walkable or just a short driving distance? I will say that one issue we hear from people moving to the area is they're surprised by the lack of walkability to things in many of the burbs.
Thank you for all of this information!

As far as walkability, it would be nice to be able to walk to a coffee shop or a restaurant but, because we don't want to be in a busy neighborhood, that may be very unlikely. A short drive is just as good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe1972 View Post
The West Side of Worcester
Hi Gabe,

What consitutes the west side? We saw a few houses online that appear to be on the west side, but it's hard to gauge on mapquest.

The streets are: Coolidge Road, Surrey Lane, and Lambert Circle.

Are these streets considered to be on the west side?

Thanks for your help!

Old 10-22-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post

The streets are: Coolidge Road, Surrey Lane, and Lambert Circle.
These are all West Side addresses.

Surrey Lane and Lambert Circle are very very very nice neighborhoods but leave nothing in the way of walkability or even bike riding ability as far as amenities go.

Coolidge Road however sounds absolutely perfect for what you guys are looking for. There is a good cafe right on the corner of Coolidge and Chandler. A natural food store and their sister restaurant at Chandler and Park, 2 Sushi places, Mexican, Italian, Vietnamese, Middle Eastern, African, Armenian (as I type this I am wondering why in the hell I don't live in this neighborhood) all up on Park Avenue. An incredible art festival every September. Live music all summer at Newton Square. Elm Park. Beaver Brook Park.

Yeah, that really is a great little neighborhood.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:52 AM

Thank you sooooo much!

Of course these houses will likely be sold by the time we're ready to house-hunt, but it's good to know that houses *do* exist, in our price range (ok, a wee bit higher than we'd *like* to spend, but anyway...), for when it is time to look.

Those restaurants all sound incredible, as do the art festival (I love!) and the live music (husband loves!) -- can't wait! Let's hope the hubby gets the job that he's interviewing for!

Hey, you *should* move into that neighborhood -- right off the bat we'd know someone!

Thank you again, so much, for your help. This is very encouraging.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:53 AM

914 posts, read 1,807,566 times
And there's Tequila Sams. Don't forget Tequila Sams!

If I worked in Worcester, Westborough is a great fit since I wouldn't want to live in Worcester. If you're looking for a jewish community, I would say Sharon or Newton.. (currently resides in Newton).

Old 10-22-2010, 11:31 AM

Tortilla Sam's

Old 10-22-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
And there's Tequila Sams. Don't forget Tequila Sams!

If I worked in Worcester, Westborough is a great fit since I wouldn't want to live in Worcester. If you're looking for a jewish community, I would say Sharon or Newton.. (currently resides in Newton).
Sharon and Newton are both about an hour from Worcester, which is where my husband would be working. That's a heck of a commute and not something that he'd be thrilled doing.

We thought that there must be a Jewish population in Worcestor because it has quite a large number of synagogues. Not that we're religious, by any stretch of the imagination, but it would be nice to know that we're not the *only* Jews in town.

Why woudn't you want to live in Worcester? Just curious...

We also heard about Westborough but, with a cursory glance at realtor.com, the houses don't seem quite as nice as the Worcester ones that we saw. Of course, that's not saying that Westborough isn't possibly nicer -- typically a home in a nicer area costs more, which makes sense -- but I'm curious why the west side of Worcester wouldn't be appealing to you.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Why woudn't you want to live in Worcester? Just curious...
Take whatever is said as answers to this question with a grain of salt. I love dense city living, so I am not the biggest fan of the city, but if you don't have kids, and don't mind a more suburban lifestyle, the West Side is one of the best inland areas in the entire state, and I stand by this as someone who is constantly looking to move out of the city.

The region can have a very uneducated and misinformed opinion of Worcester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts