Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 08:42 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,509,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
You can't measure nicer people, a more relaxed area, and better weather (if you don't care for winter).

Sure you can put a number on those things. Think of it like this. You to rate things on a scale of 1 to 10 of what's important to you. 1 being not important and 10 being very important. You can rate each thing and do the equation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 05:51 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Sure you can put a number on those things. Think of it like this. You to rate things on a scale of 1 to 10 of what's important to you. 1 being not important and 10 being very important. You can rate each thing and do the equation.
I was saying that more in the overall sense in comparing MA to other places. You can look things about online and do research, but in general their is no unit of measurement for those things. Those are things that make your life better but there are no hard figures for it.

I know what your saying you can certaintly include it in your decision by giving each priority a numerical value. You would just have to figure what that value is for yourself.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,354 times
I've lived here my whole life and I never thought I'd want to leave but now?

1) It isn't the same as it once was. Once upon a time, there were institutions that were unique to this area. From stores (Filene's, Jordan Marsh), to radio stations (WBCN), to other things too numerous to mention, it's all gone the way of good things. Inspite of the cost, the area's uniqueness made it desirable, but now, it's just another depressed former manufacturing region on the wrong side of the industrial revolution.

Jobs are scarce. Although I work as a fed, there is a chronic shortage of quality jobs for the average worker. I graduated law school in 2009, and I have firends who did extremely well that are still looking for work. I was lucky, as I went from one federal agency to to another, but many of my friends weren't.

2) As to what state I want to move to, I will probably go somewhere that's a little colder and a lot less crowded. I was thinking about VT. We have a field station up there that will have a vacancy in the next year or two. It will be a lot less crowded, and I love winter anyway, so the snow will be something to look forward to.

3) It isn't that Vermont is better then Mass. It's that Massachusetts isn't the place I remember. It has seen more than its share of tough times, and I don't think it will ever be the same.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:43 PM

12,868 posts, read 22,026,395 times
^In your first point, you mentioned the "uniqueness" of MA in terms of local brands and businesses. If nothing else, I think you'll find that Vermont places a MUCH heavier emphasis on all things local. You also mention that it's "a lot less crowded and that you love winter." Vermont is perfect in those areas as well (also beautiful in the summer and fall. Spring... eh... not so much).

Obviously a lot more goes into making a move and I don't know you but I'm guessing you'll probably find VT a lot more to your liking based on what you wrote. Good luck, I hope it works for you.

On a nationwide scale, I think MA has more of a sense of place (in terms of look, feel, and types of local businesses and culture) than most places. If you've ever spent time in Florida, much of Texas, Arizona, etc you will know that that's true. Still, Northern New England is incredible when it comes to all things local. Vermont is great in that aspect.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:50 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
I've been reading this forum for awhile now and seen many positive post about Massachusetts. I personally love the state myself and wish to live there.
But I also have seen some very negative post as of late. I understand Massachusetts is not for everyone. And that at time the state seems to be taking advantage of it citizens. Alot of the time I get annoyed to at things (fine,fee,and taxes)the state and towns tries (and often do) get away with. But it not enough for me to be deterred from living there.
But maybe it enough for you. So I'd like to heard from all that don't want to be in mass.
1)Why do you want to leave mass?
2)What state are you going to?
3)And why is that state so much better than Mass?
1)Why do you want to leave mass?

Generic reasons:
Very high COL for what it has to offer, overall.
Too many months of chilly, windy weather making people prone to hibernation.
The area has an overall chilly, uptight, stand-off-ish, rat-racy, Puritanical spirit that is fundamentally incompatible with my deep-seated Mediterranean/Eastern European sensibilities (no feeling of "Dolce Vita" here, no matter how you twist it, not even with a ton of money).

Personal reasons:
No family here, on either side.

2) Georgia (Atlanta).
At this point, I will live in no other place in the US. Not because Atlanta, GA is the best (it is obviously not) but because I am done trying anything else in this country. Atlanta is the "devil" we know, with some extended family in it, which is important to us. Our next move will be to Europe where I was born and raised. My husband got that, he's on board and we're good for now. Yey.

3) The state I am moving to is not BETTER than Mass.
It just doesn't have the problems mentioned under 1), which are weighing heavily on us here. It is lower COL, better weather, a more laid-back atmosphere (not "Dolce Vita" but ...eh!) and a support system for us.
But not inherently BETTER.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:19 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
If you want a place where people smile and say hello when passing you on the sidewalk or in an elevater, don't come to Massachusetts!
The above could not even begin to take the shape of a real "problem".

I hardly ever smile to people in the streets or in elevators except when my eyes somehow meet theirs and then I am not just going to sit there and stare at them like a cold, antagonistic B**ch.

HOWEVER, the trouble begins when neighbors themselves are so glacial that they feel a pressing need to hide themselves in the house pretty much at all times (or in their uber private back yards); to greet with a very fleeting and stand-off-ish hand gesture meaning "don't even think about dragging it beyond this brief acknowledgement"; and to keep their children somewhere "away" at all times, Lord Forbid should they play with other children in the neighborhood.

Smiles in streets and elevators aside, Mass cultivates a chilly, stand-off-ish atmosphere even among people who are suposed to know each other.
Let alone for outsiders trying to "break in".

But dang it! They do have some outstanding public libraries which I am going to miss severely. Give to Cesar what is Cesar's.

Last edited by syracusa; 04-09-2011 at 10:26 PM..

Old 04-10-2011, 05:56 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
Funny how some of these threads get dug up and revitalized. We're originally from MA but left 15 years ago. Our last stop was Florida for six years. Our six year jaunt in FL was what really made us miss Massachusetts. It's not just about warm winters, people. It's about the mentality, i.e., the daily news coverage of prayer meetings, FOX news playing in the doctor's waiting room, crime that joblessness creates, crappy medical care and a boat load of unhappy people who wish they could leave but can't sell their houses. I kiss the rocky soil of Massachusetts!

Old 04-13-2011, 09:25 AM

137 posts, read 239,517 times
Default Funny...

I am going to move TO Massachusetts. All the press about North Carolina, Georgia and Virginia made us consider each in turn. I just can't bring myself to do it! Every time we drive through the south to go anywhere, to visit family or just take a "check this out" trip, we can't stand it and we want to get out as fast as we can.

- the prevalence of *big tobacco*
- the "what church do you go to" conversations
- the creepy toothless guys at the gas station
- the overly friendly and familiar way strangers address you, trying to get in your business
- the *go home Yankee* mentality

And on a personal level, I have grandparents who live there who are nasty sons of *******, and an aunt and her family who are the most bigoted, hateful people I've ever met! I am ashamed to be related to them! That is probably what's really keeping me from ever wanting to live in North Carolina, specifically.

We are used to the taxes and housing expense in MA, since it is very comparable in Maryland (and New Jersey, where my husband is from, has a much higher tax burden). We are also used to having museums, good schools, good libraries, and nasty winters (with few resources to deal with them) and humid nasty summers. I think MA is just what we need!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts