Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 02:30 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times

Advertisements

I've been reading this forum for awhile now and seen many positive post about Massachusetts. I personally love the state myself and wish to live there.
But I also have seen some very negative post as of late. I understand Massachusetts is not for everyone. And that at time the state seems to be taking advantage of it citizens. Alot of the time I get annoyed to at things (fine,fee,and taxes)the state and towns tries (and often do) get away with. But it not enough for me to be deterred from living there.
But maybe it enough for you. So I'd like to heard from all that don't want to be in mass.
1)Why do you want to leave mass?
2)What state are you going to?
3)And why is that state so much better than Mass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 10:48 AM

10 posts, read 33,810 times
I grew up here and love the area mainly because it is where family is. However, we are starting to investigate leaving the state due to the following:

taxes (wow they hurt)
social programs (in my opinion too many and many we do not agree with)
administration of government programs (MA is soooo corrupt)
laws, etc (new ones that we do not necessarily agree with)
employment opportunities (the loss of technical jobs in MA is increasing)
cost (wow it's high)
we do not feel that we are getting in return what we pay for in taxes

don't know; we've entertained Minnesota because the wife is from the northwest US area and it's similar in climate (probably colder but that's fine) and we hear there are technical jobs.

see #2

Old 07-10-2007, 11:41 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,019,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
I've been reading this forum for awhile now and seen many positive post about Massachusetts. I personally love the state myself and wish to live there.
But I also have seen some very negative post as of late. I understand Massachusetts is not for everyone. And that at time the state seems to be taking advantage of it citizens. Alot of the time I get annoyed to at things (fine,fee,and taxes)the state and towns tries (and often do) get away with. But it not enough for me to be deterred from living there.
But maybe it enough for you. So I'd like to heard from all that don't want to be in mass.

1) want warmer climate, reduce cost of living, live closer to the ocean
2) Eastern NC (along the coast)
3) I can actually afford property that is a stone's throw from the ocean unlike here, it's warmer in NC, the pace is slower, more laid back.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:50 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,646,838 times
Quote:
Where to start.

a) First climate, which isn't anything the state can do anything about. I don't like the cold and the winters are simply too long. I also don't like it when its June or July and its 50 degrees. I didn't wait all year for a cold summer.
b)Cost of living - for someone in their 20's (and single) and wanting to buy a house or live comfortably this state doesn't make it easy. I guess i could include taxes here also. I've heard some people say "you get what you pay for", but i haven't seen anything here that is better than a lot of other areas, but yet you pay more for almost everything.
c)People - this is quite general and i have family and many friends here, but these are people i've known for awhile. Most people in MA are great, but when i travel other places i have an easier time meeting people and overall they are less rude. I just seem to enjoy myself more in lots of places.
d)Quality - i've spent time in a lot of other states and life is a lot more laid back in most places. MA seems to always be in a rush and stressed out. I've found that you can have the same to better quality of life somewhere else.
e)Politics - i hate to bring this up and most politicians are pretty much the same. I don't like how in MA the people voted for a tax decrease which we were supposed to have anyways, but they ignored what we wanted. We also voted overwhelmingly for english immersion and were ignored. I really feel my vote means absolutely nothing here because even when i do vote, they ignore the citizen's majority. The MBTA is a mess, and so isn't the turnpike authority. I hate to be negative, but i just don't see anything getting better. It is pretty much the same politicians in office every year making more of a mess of everything. All i've seen so far is more money being thrown at problems which just get worse.

Quote:
Currently leaning toward North Carolina. Until i decided i definitely wanted to move i didn't realize how popular this state has become to move to, and just how many people were leaving MA. It is also nice i have relatives with a second home in NC.
I'm leaning towards Raleigh. Not too far from the coast or the mountains, nice area, more moderate weather, not too far from D.C. (one of my favorite cities), mediam city living with lower cost than almost anywhere here, nice people (from those i've met there), i really like college sports,
and not too far from MA by plane or driving if i needed to get back to MA.
I've also looked at Texas, specifically Austin and Dallas but decided it was a little too far and wanted to stay on the east coast. I looked at Georgia and the DC area, but DC has high cost of living and awful traffic.

Quote:
I don't know that any state is better than any other state, it just depends on what someone prefers. Another great thing about the United States is you really can move and find an area you really want to live in. MA will always be the state i was born and grew up in, i just don't like where the state is going and realize i can make the same amount of $ in another state with lower cost of living, a nicer climate (at least for me), and more laid back atmosphere.

Just to add: I try not be negative about MA on this board although it may seem that way. I try to give pros and cons, but in my opinion right now there are a lot of cons for many people in MA right now.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:43 PM

42 posts, read 146,710 times
It is just too expensive to live here. Trying to raise a family and own a half decent home that is not falling apart is just too hard. Housing and taxes are too high and salaries have not kept pace. Sure home prices are coming down but not enough to make it worth while. Plus lots of companies seem to be relocating employees to other states so it makes me wonder about job opportunities.

I am moving to North Carolina where the cost of living is cheaper, can afford to buy a nicer home and have a slower pace of life. It may not be utopia but it will be nice fresh start for us.

Lower cost of living, slower pace of life, other transplants,warmer climate etc.....

Old 07-11-2007, 08:35 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCaro View Post
It is just too expensive to live here. Trying to raise a family and own a half decent home that is not falling apart is just too hard. Housing and taxes are too high and salaries have not kept pace. Sure home prices are coming down but not enough to make it worth while. Plus lots of companies seem to be relocating employees to other states so it makes me wonder about job opportunities.

I am moving to North Carolina where the cost of living is cheaper, can afford to buy a nicer home and have a slower pace of life. It may not be utopia but it will be nice fresh start for us.

Lower cost of living, slower pace of life, other transplants,warmer climate etc.....
What about schools in NC? I am curious because I want to move to MA for the good schools, I figure it's worth the other things. Am I wrong? Stats say MA schools beat almost every other state. I have thought a moment about NC but hurricanes and lack of good education made it leave my mind quickly. Do you hear better things about the schools?

Old 07-11-2007, 10:13 PM

42 posts, read 146,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
What about schools in NC? I am curious because I want to move to MA for the good schools, I figure it's worth the other things. Am I wrong? Stats say MA schools beat almost every other state. I have thought a moment about NC but hurricanes and lack of good education made it leave my mind quickly. Do you hear better things about the schools?
I think the schools are better right now in MA. However, if people keep leaving MA because they find better opportunities elsewhere, then it makes me wonder what the schools will end up like here.

I think the issue right now with some schools in NC are overcrowding due to the large number of people moving in. I don't have stats comparing both MA and NC but I have heard that the schools are strong in Wake and Union county. I am not worried about hurricanes and my kids are young enough that I am not worried about the school situation quite yet. Worst case scenario, I will send them to private schools. It is not worth the education alone to stay here. If I have to works so hard that I can't spend time with my kids, that is not worth it too me.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:32 AM

484 posts, read 1,944,064 times
It's way too expensive to live here. Boston is becoming too much like New York.

I'm considering Minnesota or Washington.

Lower cost of living and friendlier people.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:52 AM

27 posts, read 112,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I taught in NC for 6 years, and am from there. NC is a great state with a great art/music program in their public schools. about 15 years ago, the schools were not so good, but they have really worked hard to bring schools up to date, and even though they might not be 'as good' overall as MA, I know they are getting close, of course it also depends on where in NC you are going. I would focus on RTP area if you are concerned about good schools. Cary- Chapel Hill area schools are some of the best, but it's also the most expensive place to live. There are a lot of private schools in NC too, because of the days when the public schools weren't so good. Cary Academy is one of the best schools in the state, most expensive too, but worth it in my opinion if you are really seeking an aggressive ivy league quality education for your child. With that said, I would most likely send my children to public schools in that area today, and I'm very picky. Greenville and Wilmington are both nicer areas close to the beach without so much tourism, but both have big college campuses too, and Boone/Ashville if you are a mountain person. NC is a great state with a lot to offer. The only negative I'd say about NC is that it really gets hot there in the summer. I mean muggy sticky hot in July and August. I don't miss that a bit, but the rest of the year it's really beautiful. Oddly enough, I'm moving to MA, but I'll be going to NC quite a bit too. Anyone know the average drive time from Boston to Raleigh? It's been 10 years since I made the trip, just wondering if it's changed.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:47 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,646,838 times
Quote:
Anyone know the average drive time from Boston to Raleigh? It's been 10 years since I made the trip, just wondering if it's changed.
About 12 hours without hitting much traffic, really closer to 13. I recently drove down during the night in December and made it in a little less than 12.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts