Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 09:01 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times

Advertisements

I was just mapping out the trip to Blanford Ski Area and am slightly annoyed that it seems to be not far out from the Mass Pike yet you have to get off in Westfield and take Route 20 to get there........

I understand that these exits would not be heavily used but really, if you are paying to drive on a road, it would be nice if the exits were conveniently located and not 30 miles apart.

With the Fast Lane and Ezpass, could they not create FastLane-only exits?

Argh!

I know there is probably some rhyme or reason there are not more exits out there but it is annoying! People do live out there, drive on the Pike, and people do want to visit that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 05:01 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,099,314 times
Just the cost of making a new exit and building the toll booth and maintenance on the area not to mention the very low usage it would get is one of the reasons. And really there is not that many people in that area,outside of Hampden and Hampshire counties(well southern Hampshire county) the population is pretty sparse in Wmass. I for one really don't see the need to have any more exits between Westfield and Lee. RT 20 ,23 and 57 all serve the area well as well as Rt 8. And the blandford ski area is maybe 25 minutes from westfield on a road where the speed limit is 50. Not much of a big deal.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:17 PM

746 posts, read 3,499,662 times
In my part of Western Massachusetts I have to drive for an hour to get to the Mass Pike and that is north to south!

In fact our nearest interstates are all at least 50-60 minutes away. But that is what happens when there aren't a lot of people.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:23 AM

91 posts, read 330,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
In my part of Western Massachusetts I have to drive for an hour to get to the Mass Pike and that is north to south!

In fact our nearest interstates are all at least 50-60 minutes away. But that is what happens when there aren't a lot of people.
The nice thing is there are plenty of east-west alternatives from North to South; Route 2, Route 9, US Route 20.

Isn't living in Western Mass. and the lack of Interstate highway part of the appeal?

Old 11-18-2010, 04:05 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,099,314 times
it's not like there is a lack of interstate highway in Wmass,Just a lack of interstate highways in the berkshires. The Berkshires do have the pike it's just that there is a 33 mile stretch between exit 3 and exit 2 and really there isn't a need for one on that stretch.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:04 AM

819 posts, read 1,495,219 times
More Exits? Horrible idea……….more expenses, more tax burden.

The whole appeal of the western part of the state is that it doesn’t feel, look or act like the rest of the state. If you want Metrowest, stay in Metrowest……….

I don’t mean to come off as a hard-ass here but seriously, you think everyone in the state should kick in to get you to a ski slope more efficiently? If you want easy to get to, ski the speed bump at Blue Hills all day…….then sit in Rt 128 traffic………

Old 11-19-2010, 08:34 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,911 times
Where would you even put an Exit 2A anyway? Route 8? Think that's even worth the expense with potential average traffic use?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts