Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2010, 07:01 PM

13 posts, read 43,520 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of relocating to the Boston area, or possibly Amherst, and want to know which public schools are best for special needs kids. I have found lists of the best public schools but nothing recent that specifically discusses special needs kids. I would also like to communicate with some parents of special needs kids about their recommendations but am not sure where to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 08:58 PM

4 posts, read 26,272 times
I am a teacher in Boston Public Schools and I can say without a doubt that if I had a child with special needs, I would live in Boston. The truth is that Boston has SO many schools and so many options--you are bound to find the right one. People demonize BPS, but the truth is that as a bigger city with more money, they have more resources to put towards resources. What sort of needs are you specifically talking about? Boston has the McKinley schools, for example, that offer highly structured substantially separate education for all grade levels. Many other schools have full inclusion models. Nearly all offer resource rooms and special education support. As I said, there are so many different schools in Boston, you will be able to find the right one. I would suggest contacting the Boston SPED PAC (Spec. Ed. Parents Advisory Council) to talk with other parents and get more information. The only contact info I can find for them is a phone number (617-635-8600), but I've heard great things about this group and hopefully they can be helpful to you.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:06 AM

13 posts, read 43,520 times
GoldenLiz, this is very helpful. I don't want to list the needs on a public forum, but my child has an IEP and receives individual, out of classroom time as well as OT and speech each day. Sometimes there is also a need for an assistant to accompany my child at various points during the day. Are there any particular elementary schools in Boston that you would recommend? What about middle and high schools?

Old 11-23-2010, 08:03 AM

368 posts, read 1,388,382 times
I would actually disagree with putting my child with special needs in a huge public school system. The system is is so huge it can't really accomodate the needs of a specific child outside of it's school-wide programs. Large school systems just don't have the ability/resources (manpower) to properly educate a child that can't be educated in the normal environment.

Without knowing specifics, I don't want to suggest certain school systems. There are some schools with a strong autism program, some districts that place a huge emphasis on executive disorders, etc.. We moved to MA in 2009 specifically to access the special education system. I knew I wanted a smaller city that wasn't a 'destination city' for parents of children with autism. Their resources would be overtaxed as well. I chose a smaller town with a strong, STRONG emphasis on education - knowing that they would be able to provide more in the way of services for my child.

I would find the area you want, then start contacting the SPED directors. Find out what their philosophy is. Contact the SEPAC in the district. Find out how much work the parents have to do in order to get the services they need. I wouldn't discount them just because you don't see specifics listed on their website. My experience was that the really good systems don't advertise their services...

Best of luck. Finding a great school system for kids with special needs is very stressful.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:52 PM

53 posts, read 199,301 times
Lexington is considered one of the best schools system for special needs..

Old 11-23-2010, 03:58 PM

4 posts, read 26,272 times
A lot of towns end up "outsourcing" special needs students to larger towns/cities. Boston is really very great for students with special needs; I can't emphasize this enough. I can't give you specifics on Boston schools because I only know a few well enough, but please call the parents' organization.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:17 PM

6 posts, read 11,208 times
Hi guys. We live in Florida and my daughter has ADHD and a language disability. We can afford life here...but there isn't much in terms for resources for children with disabilities. I am following these postings because we have been considering moving for the schools, because we desperately want help for our daughter. What do you guys think? Florida education vs Mass. education for special needs? Anyone have a good idea on the differences?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts