U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 01:32 PM

17 posts, read 39,846 times

Advertisements

Will be moving to that area next year for some school electives at UMass Memorial Hospital/St. Vincents.

Was thinking of living in a western suburb of Boston, like Newton area.

Driving into Worcester in the morning and back to Boston in the evening, how long is my commute each way.

Would 1 hour door to door be a reasonable estimate?

Is traffic quite bad on the mass turnpike? I assume I'm going the opposite flow...so it should be too bad?

How about MBTA? What would that be like one way? 1 hour from Newton?

Thx,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 08:58 PM

925 posts, read 2,628,448 times
You could probably get there in an hour or so driving since it's a reverse commute. Although there is a train between Boston and Worcester, there any trains that leave from Newton into Worcester in the morning. Here's the weekday "outbound" (i.e., Boston to Worcester) train schedule: MBTA Commuter Rail > Framingham / Worcester Lines Schedules and Maps

Old 11-29-2010, 10:55 PM

5,817 posts, read 15,244,478 times
Regarding commuter rail, unfortunately it's also the case that no trains headed in the direction of Newton from Worcester stop at any station in Newton during the usual afternoon commuting hours.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:19 AM

17,731 posts, read 31,136,057 times
You could do a reverse commute from Newton to Worcester in about an hour (depending on what side of towns you're coming and going from).
Newton isn't really fully a "western suburb." There are many suburban towns/areas further west and closer to Worcester, although I do think Newton is a terrific town and location if you can afford it.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:48 AM

17 posts, read 39,846 times
hey guys,

thanks for the responses. So Newton is considered more "inner Boston" then? What are the western suburbs then? Framingham? Natick?

I guess I want to stay in the Waltham/Newton/BC area because its on the subway line, so I can easily commute into Boston week nights/weekends, and of course head west to Worcester for work during the week. Or maybe I should be asking...whats a good place close to the I-95/I-90 that would be good for a 27 year old single guy? I just looked on the map and saw Waltham, Newton and Watertown....your thoughts?

Is it fairly normal for people to commute Worcester-boston? Or will I be doing something a bit "special"? If its 1 hour door to door, from Waltham area to Univ. of Mass hospital in Worcester, than I really don't mind.

Although, when is rush hour usually on the Mass Turnpike? 7-9am, 4-6pm?

Thanks again for the help!

Last edited by Blitz2011; 11-30-2010 at 09:04 AM..

Old 11-30-2010, 03:47 PM

9,141 posts, read 14,191,219 times
It is more common for people to commute FROM the Worcester area TO Boston, but I'm sure some do. You could probably do it in an hour, at least in good weather. Of course if there's a snowstorm...

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-02-2010 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 12-01-2010, 11:19 PM

5,817 posts, read 15,244,478 times
Between Waltham, Watertown, and Newton, Waltham, specifically in the vicinity of downtown, might be the best fit for someone your age. Waltham is not necessarily one of the top spots for young professionals in the entire Boston area, but the western suburbs in general are more family-oriented. There is a population of young professionals in and around downtown Waltham, and a bunch of restaurants downtown, so Waltham is probably about as good as it gets for a young professional west of Boston.

In recommending Waltham, I'm talking about what you'd find locally. Watertown and Newton are positioned a bit better for access to Boston, though Waltham does have commuter rail service which can have you in Cambridge in fifteen minutes or so and gets you to North Station in Boston in another ten or fifteen minutes beyond Cambridge.

Watertown might be beyond the limits of the one-hour commuting time you're looking for. From Waltham, I'd suggest experimenting with routes on local streets down through Newton or the southwestern corner of Waltham to reach the Mass. Pike. Rt. 128/I-95 can be gridlocked or close to it during morning rush hours as you head southbound approaching the Pike, so going west through Waltham and entering 128 at rt. 20 to head down 128 to the Pike might not be the best route.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:50 AM

160 posts, read 543,888 times
I think an hour is a reasonable estimate for a reverse commute from Newton to Worcester under most circumstances. It may take longer on Friday afternoons, or days where there is an event (i.e. red sox game). I would definitely take the pike, and if you hit snags with traffic (due to accidents etc.) you can always get off at various points on rte. 9 and take that west (I have done that in the past). You would need to find additional transportation from the commuter rail to the hospitals if you went that route. The train station is not really that close to the hopsitals and that would definitely make your commute longer than an hour.

I would not describe Newton as "inner Boston". It is the first suburb west of Boston which makes it ideal for many people. Western suburbs for people around here, typically includes the towns west of Boston from 128 through 495.

In addition, to the towns listed above, you can always look at Brookline. There may be a little traffic getting down Harvard St. to the Pike in the morning, but it is a fantastic place to live for a young single professional looking to meet other young single professionals - easy access to public transportation and a lot to do within walking distance.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:07 AM

88 posts, read 224,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sblumberg View Post
You would need to find additional transportation from the commuter rail to the hospitals if you went that route. The train station is not really that close to the hopsitals and that would definitely make your commute longer than an hour.
You know St V's isn't up on the hill anymore right?

If you are weighing the commuter rail, know that St V's is a block away from Union Station. UMASS Memorial definitely isn't walking distance but it is a very very very short cab ride and actually can be walked to if you feel like it. More like 9 or 10 blocks.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:20 PM

160 posts, read 543,888 times
True - St. V's is close - I think in my mind I was focusing on UMASS and I suppose it would also depend on which UMASS Memorial the classes were in too, right? (although, yes, taxi is always an option...).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts