Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 09:37 PM

22 posts, read 90,260 times

Advertisements

the towns:
Stoughton
Canton
Randolph
Sharon
Norwood
Dedham
and others in area

What "region"( i.e south shore, north shore, Metro-west,etc) would you classify them as?

They seem to have a different vibe/ way of life than the "South Shore" and "Metro-West" regions have, not to mention that these towns are at least 45 minutes away from any "shore", and some are certainly not "west".

When I hear the term "Greater Boston" i immediately think of the more urban,blue-collar north of Boston cities, but at the same time, most of these towns have a much bigger middle-class,urban-ish and diverse presence than you would find on the "south shore" or "metro-west".

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 03:21 AM

18,705 posts, read 33,372,489 times
Plain old south. South of Boston. Not on the shore, so not quite "South Shore." Rather suburban, although some have an original town core, like Canton.
I think some realtors might include them with "South Shore."

Old 11-30-2010, 04:22 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,653,607 times
Neponset Valley.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:07 PM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Neponset Valley.
Randolph and Stoughton I would categorize as the Brockton area. The others well just south of Boston or the Neponset Valley. There are other areas as well that don't really fit into a little box. For example Burlington, Billerica, Woburn are not the North Shore nor the Merrimac Valley or Metrowest or anywhere really. They are just north of Boston. The term Greater Boston I'm not aware it's specifcally Boston and northern suburbs or blue-collar towns. I would include anything within 128 and maybe 15 miles beyond in all directions.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:10 PM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsteve77 View Post
most of these towns have a much bigger middle-class,urban-ish and diverse presence than you would find on the "south shore" or "metro-west".

Any thoughts?
How could any town be more urban and diverse than Quincy? Or Framingham in metro-west?

Old 12-01-2010, 07:09 PM

59 posts, read 284,240 times
That region does have a name: the doldrums!

Old 12-01-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
How could any town be more urban and diverse than Quincy? Or Framingham in metro-west?
I personally do not consider Quincy to be the "South Shore". While it is on the shore, it is 100% Greater Boston in my mind.

Framingham slipped my mind, you're right. But in general, the diversity in Framingham remains strictly within Framingham and has not spread to the surrounding towns. ( Unless you are considering Worcester part of the metro-west)

I'm just saying in general the Metro-West(with the exception of Framingham, and ****MAYBE**** Natick) and South Shore( with the slight exception of Weymouth and Hull, in terms of "urbanity", NOT DIVERSITY) are overwhelmingly White-Christian, with virtually no minority population.

As opposed to towns such as Stoughton and Canton (along with several others) with quickly growing Black populations, as well as somewhat prominent Jewish populations.

Randolph is certainly more racially diverse than Quincy although I can not be certain in terms of culture, religion, etc.

When I say urban, I also mean gritty.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Randolph and Stoughton I would categorize as the Brockton area. The others well just south of Boston or the Neponset Valley. There are other areas as well that don't really fit into a little box. For example Burlington, Billerica, Woburn are not the North Shore nor the Merrimac Valley or Metrowest or anywhere really. They are just north of Boston. The term Greater Boston I'm not aware it's specifcally Boston and northern suburbs or blue-collar towns. I would include anything within 128 and maybe 15 miles beyond in all directions.
I perceive Greater Boston as all the towns/cities that actually border Boston, but including the northern cities that may not technically border Boston( The whole Malden, Everett, Chelsea, etc area)
So basically--> Quincy, Milton, Canton ,Dedham and all the way around the horn.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxwalking View Post
That region does have a name: the doldrums!
I could be interpreting the term "doldrums" wrong, but I would hardly call these towns, some of which ( Canton and Dedham) directly border Boston, and are along 128 and 95 the "doldrums".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts