Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 04:23 PM

746 posts, read 3,490,290 times

Advertisements

I think a visit to MCLA would have told you more than a few of us in this forum. Newsweek likens MCLA to a small private college, and the area, while rural in nature, has amazing cultural offerings. There are theater companies and galleries galore, and many employ students during the summer.

The college itself runs a shuttle around the area for those without a car, plus there is the Berkshire Regional Transit System, though not at night or on Sundays.

There is a lively community of artists, and many of us get together once a month for a "Potluck for the Creatively Afflicted" so there are opportunities to network with the working arts community as well as the student one.

There are numerous websites you can visit to explore what is going on, the best of which is Berkshire Fine Arts for which I write articles and critiques once in a while. You could too, if so inclined, and get free tickets in the process.

Emerson is a good choice, too, though it is far more costly to live in Boston than North Adams. I am sorry I did not notice your initial query here. It deserved a more prompt response than you received.

Good luck whatever your final choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 04:03 PM

14 posts, read 76,028 times
Default Leave The Area

If missgolightly lives in the MCLA vicinity / North Adams area sounds like she nneds to find a new place to live. It is these narrow minded views that keep good people from coming to the area. I would hardly make my college (and future) decisions based on this member's views!

Old 01-26-2008, 03:04 PM

11 posts, read 52,097 times
The area is desolate. I worked in the community and went to MCLA, so I do know what I'm talking about, thanks. Are you aware that North Adams has the highest incest rate in New England? The entire community is backwards, and MCLA is a party school with very little to offer a serious student. In my personal opinion, Boston...or anywhere really is a better location to attend college.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:59 PM

746 posts, read 3,490,290 times
The independent student publication is available online. It also has links to a variety of other information sources for both the college and the community.

The MCLA Beacon

Old 01-26-2008, 05:50 PM

739 posts, read 2,176,331 times
Our daughter went to MCLA three years ago. She said it was desolate, too, just like missgolightly is saying, and transfered out. I found it hard to get a decent cup of coffee there.

The school is inflexible, strict, especially for kids who have already had a lot of autonomy and handle themselves well independently. The hype about MCLA is just that, hype, and the food is over rated.

I'm sure there are art and cultural offerings for older people in the community but not much stuff of interest to a 20 year old. How many times can a 20 year old go to Mass MOCA before being bored to death?

I'm a lot older than 20, have a BFA and an MFA with a concentration in painting and EdD in community art education both from major Boston art schools and the National College of Art & Design in Dublin... I would say once at most for Mass MOCA before being bored to death.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:19 PM

11 posts, read 52,097 times
I agree completely with willdufauve. North Adams has nothing to offer to a college student, and MCLA doesn't even try to make up for that.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:03 PM

136 posts, read 750,384 times
I wound up applying. Visting, and speaking to students. I didn't like what I saw. And the students were miserable as wildu mentions her daughter felt. But I did visit and atleast see for myself.

The area was not what I wanted in a college. And the students I spoke to didn't seem too thrilled like they have been about other schools. Which says a LOT.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:55 PM

5 posts, read 21,137 times
As a recent MCLA grad and a lifelong resident of North Adams I can say that the opinions of certain people here do reflect what I like to call the bitter side of North Adams. They do not necessarily reflect reality, though.

MCLA is a fine school and I honestly can without reservation recommend it as a viable choice if you know what you're getting into. The education there is fantastic and I learned from many of the same books that high school friends or Williams colleagues used yet you get a much more friendly environment where the professors actually care how you are doing and care to learn your names.

Many people I knew at college who did not understand how to live the small town life turned to the standard college tradition or just getting drunk and doing stupid stuff. Many of them never graduated or instead found themselves jobless and, of course, they blamed the college afterwards.

On the other hand I attended MCLA with some students who went on to graduate or Law schools. Still there are even more who went straight to get high paying jobs (50K+) in the area which, for the Berkshires at least, is quite good.

Which actually brings me to another point, jobs in the Berkshires are largely hidden. Depending on your skills you may need to look around a bit. I suppose if your skills are limited then you will have just as hard a time finding a job in Boston as you will in North Adams. There are quite a few technology jobs to be had here for skilled workers although a lot of people do commute daily to Pittsfield for such places as General Dynamics.

A lot of people are complaining that the population of North Adams is declining when in fact, what is happening is a lot of the young bitter crowd are leaving for greener pastures and many new people are moving in from all over. Heck, even some of those Boston area kids are deciding to take up roots here. Why not when you can buy a house for the cost of rent in the cities.

In short, to enjoy North Adams you have to adjust your mindset. Instead of the million hectare shopping malls and entertainment centers you can go play a game of mini-golf or hit a bucket of balls at the Berkshire Range. If that's not your game go check out the many museums in town or 10 minutes away in Williamstown and if that doesn't suit your taste we at least have a movie theater, active bowling leagues, Lifelong Learning classes at MCLA, baseball games in the summer, outdoor movie nights in nearby Adams and countless events at the many churches in town.

Take off the blinders, remove the hate and check us out. I'm sure we'll grow on you.

At the very least you won't be bombarded by panhandlers like you get in Northampton.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:04 PM

5 posts, read 21,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missgolightly View Post
I agree completely with willdufauve. North Adams has nothing to offer to a college student, and MCLA doesn't even try to make up for that.
Apparently the very active scene on campus for clubs such as Drama, Dance, Anime, Photography, Film, Political Science (both Conservative and Liberal) etc. wasn't appealing enough? I don't know what you want, really. Life is what you make of it. There's plenty to do and MCLA was pretty good about people starting their own groups and clubs around common interests.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:44 PM

739 posts, read 2,176,331 times
Miniature golf, bowling leagues and church wouldn't have been on my high priority list of things to do when I was a 20-year-old undergrad. And, who says "heck" anymore? Are you sure you're not really somebody's grandpa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts