U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2007, 12:33 AM

136 posts, read 732,432 times

Advertisements

I am in the college search. I am going to be a HS Senior this upcoming school year. I recently learned about Mass. College of Liberal Arts (MCLA) which is in North Adams, Mass.

I was wondering anyone could tell me anything about the area? I am completely unfamiliar with details about the area (obviously I have researched the college). But being from the Jersey shore my knowledge about the area is VERY limited. How is it? I will be getting up for a campus visit this fall, but I wanted information ahead of time. How urban/rural is it really? How college friendly is the area? Are things easily accessible being it is isn't likely that I will bring a car. Any information on the area is appreciated!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 12:29 AM

I guess nobody can give any input?

Old 07-15-2007, 10:41 AM

14 posts, read 72,387 times
Default Some Information

I live in North Adams and also own real estate around the college campus. North Adams is a clean city which is in the process of undergoing a transformation into a cultural arts destination. Everything you could possibly want / need is within walking distance of the campus. It is a safe campus and community and the Berkshire region has lots to offer. I have rented apartments to students from MCLA for years and find them to be very respectful and fine tenants. I am sure you will find your trip up for the campus visit to be a pleasurable one.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:15 AM

10,203 posts, read 26,312,654 times
I don't live in North Adams--but have visited recently, and I do live in the general area. If you want small town, you may really enjoy the area, and it is in close enough proximity to several larger towns (Williamstown the closest) but if you are looking for an active college social life--you might find it too small and isolated.

The area around North Adams is beautiful (the Mohawk Trail, rte 2) but I think the town needs about another 2-5-10 years to really get on its feet.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:34 PM

419 posts, read 1,182,194 times
The winter in North Adams can be a little tough and the town is a little run down and out of the way from most of what MA has to offer, The people are down to earth and the housing is cheaper and I personally think it's a pretty decent place but it does need to be spruced up a little. It will take a long time before they are at the same pace as the more eastern towns go but I don't really see that being a bad thing. If you like the outdoors and small town America, you will more than likely enjoy most of what the North Adams area has to offer. I have never spent a lot of time there but from the outside looking in, I would describe it as an old mill town.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:02 PM

Interesting. I am not sure exactly how I feel about the rural factor. But it is on my list colleges to visit and consider.

Thanks!

Old 12-11-2007, 02:25 AM

11 posts, read 49,292 times
Well I certainly hope you didn't end up coming here. North Adams is a town in DESPERATE need of repair and a boost in its economy. The college is seriously lacking academically, and good luck if you'd ever like to transfer out. They say the dorms are newly renovated, but they are still in somewhat disrepair, and if something in your room is broken, learn to live with it because most likely the maintenance staff will never get around to it. Unless you're looking for a party school in a VERY rural area...look elsewhere.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:28 PM

Thank you for the input. I didn't even wind up applying to MCLA. I developed a very small college list instead. I applied to Lyndon State College in Vermont. and was accepted. As well as to Emerson in Boston. I am leaning towards Emerson in Boston.

Thanks again for your input!

Old 12-31-2007, 02:08 PM

739 posts, read 2,083,183 times
Emerson, by a mile.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:14 PM

11 posts, read 49,292 times
Emerson is AMAZING, but unless you have a lot of money to put into your tuition, or are planning on being deep in debt upon graduating college, I'd look elsewhere. They are on the list of the ten colleges in the US with the worst financial aid. Good luck with whichever school you choose!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts