Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 03:06 PM

2 posts, read 6,008 times

Advertisements

We've been renting in Boston and are now looking to buy (single family detached, 3+ BR) just outside of Boston. We're looking for a nice area that's still relatively close (say, 30 minute drive) to Boston. Doesn't have to be crazy affluent, middle to upper-middle class would be great. A big consideration is public transportation as there's no easy parking for my job in the city. We don't have kids yet but they're in the 5-year plan.

I'm literally all over the map here, but in my searches I've been homing in on Stoneham and Braintree (the current favorite) as a couple of top contenders that seem to have a good amount of inventory in our price range. They both appear to meet our criteria pretty well (though please do correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't yet had a chance to drive through either town to get a firsthand feel for them yet).

If anyone has any thoughts about those two towns I'm certainly interested, but I'm also really curious if anyone has additional suggestions. I was bouncing around North Shore areas for a while before I noticed Braintree, and it just makes me wonder if I'm overlooking other places with similar characteristics.

Thanks,
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 08:29 PM

23,563 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Braintree would be a very good choice if something is available in your price range. Think overall middle-upper middle class. Very convenient to everything. Good tax base/reasonable property taxes that are likely to stay. MBTA has a stop in town as well as in Quincy right over the line. At the junction of I-93, Rt. 3, Rt. 128 so driving anywhere else is easy.

Stoneham I can't really compare, just that public transit won't be as good.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:01 PM

613 posts, read 2,306,691 times
I've said before that Braintree is an under appreciated suburb. Based on your criteria, it would've been my top suggestion even if you didn't mention that it was one of your main contenders.

The fact that it has the Redline T and not just a commuter rail is huge. Don't get me wrong, the commuter rail is great, but it won't match the convenience and timing of the T. I'll also echo massnative's points about proximity to the 93, 95/128, and 3 as well as the fairly reasonable taxes (due to the town's strong commercial taxbase). The schools may not have the same rep as some of the others in the Boston metro, but they're solid.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:28 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
I would also look at Roslindale or West Roxbury maybe Norwood

Old 01-19-2011, 08:58 AM

779 posts, read 876,560 times
I really only know the South Shore, so take my recommendation with a grain of salt, but I also think Braintree is a great choice, especially in terms of proximity to public transportation.

I would also consider Weymouth. The downside is obviously proximity to the T...at least compared to Braintree. If you lived near Weymouth Landing, however, you'd still be a 10-minute drive from the Braintree T stop and on the Greenbush Commuter Rail line. Shiver is right in that the T is more convenient since you're not married to a timetable, however the commuter rail will get you into south station in 25 minutes from Weymouth Landing, which is also a nice perk.

The main reason I feel like Weymouth could be a good option for you is that you mentioned kids are in the five-year plan and I think Weymouth is a good middle-class community with lots of single family home options. I just feel like you see more families in Weymouth than Braintree. Both are good, though.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:05 PM

23,563 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
I really only know the South Shore, so take my recommendation with a grain of salt, but I also think Braintree is a great choice, especially in terms of proximity to public transportation.

I would also consider Weymouth. The downside is obviously proximity to the T...at least compared to Braintree. If you lived near Weymouth Landing, however, you'd still be a 10-minute drive from the Braintree T stop and on the Greenbush Commuter Rail line. Shiver is right in that the T is more convenient since you're not married to a timetable, however the commuter rail will get you into south station in 25 minutes from Weymouth Landing, which is also a nice perk.

The main reason I feel like Weymouth could be a good option for you is that you mentioned kids are in the five-year plan and I think Weymouth is a good middle-class community with lots of single family home options. I just feel like you see more families in Weymouth than Braintree. Both are good, though.
I don't believe Weymouth schools are as good as Braintree. Also if you are buying I don't think homes hold value as well. Still not a bad choice though, and much better than Randolph, Holbrook or Rockland. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by massnative71; 01-19-2011 at 10:25 PM..

Old 01-20-2011, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 6,008 times
Thanks for all the feedback everyone, it's very helpful!

Yeah, the Red Line in Braintree wins it major points with me, and I was really surprised to find stuff in my price range -- always figured it would be way up and over. And I'll also take a look at some of the other suggestions.

Weymouth I had been looking a close look at but then kinda cooled on when I read some things about it going downhill. But when I'm down there scouting out Braintree I'll be shooting over to Weymouth as well because other than some posts here and there, it did look really promising.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

Old 01-20-2011, 01:28 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
One side thing on braintree is that they've had the mall for years and unlike some others it's usually filled with stores. They expanded it years ago and some chains did end. From what I understand when Nordstrom opened it actually gave the town a small surplus.

There's also a fair amount of shopping by the borders area..it's a borders, bestbuy, babies r us, kmart, pet store etc.

BTW don't fall for the "I can get you three tv's for 2 grand" ever few months someone from out of state gets swindled at the south shore plaza..it's been going on for years.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:42 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
I would look at Melrose over Stoneham, better access to the Orange Line and commuter rail.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:40 AM

63 posts, read 137,052 times
Melrose is my home town. It's a great place to live and raise a family. Yes,
thanks to the Orange Line (plus the train to North Station) it's location is superior to Stoneham.
I/we are now living ('stuck!') in the Lakes Region of New Hampshire; and, I miss the convenience to Boston that Melrose offers. Presently, I require a lot of medical treatment; and, NH simply cannot compare to the Harvard based medical communities in Boston.

Personally, I can't compare Melrose to Braintree; but, I too have heard good things about that town as well.

Good luck in your pursuit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts