Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 26,267 times

Advertisements

Looks like we're going to be moving to the Mansfield area. We are moving from the Syracuse area and had moved from FL only a year before. I now have a 2 year old girl and little boy on the way due April 1st. Things I didn't look for before when we moved are very important to me now. I have not yet been to visit the area yet but my husband has been there often for his work. He'll be transferring with the company. So I am looking for the best towns to live in around there. I would like something with a great library for storytimes etc. We have a great YMCA here too that I would love to have something similar. I'll need a pediatrician right away as well and would like to know about area hospitals. And now of course I am going to have to consider the best schools. Any input is greatly appreciated. I also want to be close to shopping.

Moving from FL was a shock when it came to cost of living in Syracuse, and now of course MA is more expensive. I want something that is going to give us the most for our money as well. We are hoping to make this our home for a while

So what cities in the surrounding area of Mansfield would you recommend? Any advice is welcomed as well! Facing this move while being pregnant with a toddler is quite terrifying LOL

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 05:00 PM

10,014 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Mansfield is a suburban town, with decent shopping options. Certainly you could find every thing you need within a 5-10 mile radius. There is a train that goes to Boston and Providence as well. Here's the link for the local YMCA.

Schools are decent, real estate is mid-priced for eastern Massachusetts. Overall, a good town for families but there are other towns nearby you might prefer like Foxborough, Wrentham, North Attleborough, Easton. Will you be renting or buying? That would make a difference because some areas have more options for rentals.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:50 PM

2 posts, read 26,267 times
We will be looking to buy but if we can't find a house right away, we would be willing to rent short term. I've read some about Franklin as well as the towns you listed. We're really looking for a place to settle down and put roots. Thanks

Old 01-22-2011, 01:38 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,415,443 times
Default Town suggesstions near Mansfield

Also look into

Sharon - (has a nice wildlife sanctuary with hiking trails and commuter rail)

Easton

Foxboro

Walpole

Norton

Wrentham

Plainville

Stoughton

Norfolk

Old 01-22-2011, 04:04 PM

4 posts, read 24,302 times
Sharon has the best schools. Boston Magazine ranks Sharon High School in the top 15 public high schools.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:34 AM

368 posts, read 1,388,307 times
Sharon does have excellent schools. Sharon's library is "ok" at best, and they have almost nothing in the way of rentals. I have to say that Sharon really doesn't offer much in the way of convenience or the 'community' experience. If I didn't need to be here for the special education services they offer my kids, we would definitely relocate. It's a nice little town, yes, but there are MANY better towns (schools, not so much) for quality of life.

The 'best' schools is fairly subjective for most people. There aren't really a lot of awful schools in MA, and the worst of those are probably better than much of FL. Choosing a school really depends on your needs. If you are a sports family, you might want to look at a larger, more sports oriented town. If you need SPED, look for a town that has a strong program... if your children are just normal school kids you're pretty much golden many places.

As someone who relocated here from a much different way of life, I would say my favorite towns are Mansfield, Walpole, and Canton. Mansfield is actually an excellent option for someone used to connvenient shopping and more of a community feel. My husband lived there when we met, and I had really considered it as an option. His sister raised kids in the public school system, and they've both done really well. The school system has struggled a bit lately (as Sharon has as well), but that's pretty much everywhere currently.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:16 PM

2 posts, read 15,522 times
We moved to Mansfield about 11 months ago from NJ with 2 small children who were 1 and 3 at the time (now 2 and 4). We live close to the main street (a requirement of ours) because it had a "community" feel to it. So far, I am happy with the public pre-school, the library, and the kid activities in town (Halloween and Christmas parades, mother's club, etc.).

Real estate is expensive in Massachusetts. There's no real way to get around that one.

We considered Easton and Foxboro, but Easton doesn't have a "downtown" area, and we didn't like the houses in Foxboro at the time. Both are comparable towns though.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 12,562 times
Did you settle in Mansfield? I grew up there and now live in North Attleboro (not to be confused with the city Attleboro). We found that taxes were a bit lower plus North Attleboro has its own electric company. You can get a bit more for your money. I love the town. I have two children and the schools are incredible. I love the small town feel. All the Best! Lori

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-08-2011 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: realtor advertising

Old 05-21-2017, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,884 times
Mansfield also has its own electric company. Love the town. I have lived here for 43 years. Taxes and water has gone up so it is getting a little expensive now that we are on fixed incomes. But I think that is true for most places around here.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:15 PM

636 posts, read 705,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayandJay View Post
Mansfield also has its own electric company. Love the town. I have lived here for 43 years. Taxes and water has gone up so it is getting a little expensive now that we are on fixed incomes. But I think that is true for most places around here.
I took an out of state visitor on a 4-day tour from Boston though the south of Boston towns (actually suburbs),to Cape Cod. Showed them Brockton for entertainment value. All of the towns, they said they liked Mansfield the best. They could not elaborate other than other towns had too much traffic.
Mansfield is my Number One selection versus any other community within the Route 495 semi-circle area of Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts