Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:14 AM

136 posts, read 842,927 times

Advertisements

Okay, so this Texan has a confession to make - I have never driven a car in snow or sleet

I will be in MA this week visiting friends & family in Kingston, Plymouth and Sandwich for about 4 days.

Is it very difficult to drive in Snow? What precautions should I take while driving? Are there any "unstated road rules" that everybody follows. Do I need to ask for some special equipment at the Car Rental office (snow chains/shovel perhaps?).

You guessed right - I am pretty apprehensive about driving in your lovely state.

Carol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 09:09 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,107,611 times
We are expecting some snow this week, but unless you're traveling to the rural areas in western Mass or VT/NH/ME, you shouldn't have a problem. The plows and sanders are out in force as soon as the snow begins to fall. In 20 years of winter driving in Mass I've never needed chains. A front wheel drive car with all seasons is all you really need.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:23 AM

278 posts, read 702,911 times
You'll be fine. Just go slow, don't follow too closely, etc...

If its just some normal snow/sleet, the roads should be fine. If its really coming down, just don't drive. Thats always the safest option. And since you said you are renting a car, and you are inexperienced in driving in winter weather, i'd make sure you are either covered under your own car insurance, or buy the extra insurance. Just in case *knock on wood* something happens.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:12 AM

88 posts, read 269,756 times
Hi, I just got back from MA (coming from So. California- not that I'm a native), and I also was nervous about the snow driving. I addressed some of how this went in my post How is Mass weather/accessibility for disabled? ... But here is what my Husband and I did. We were expecting a big snow storm while we were in MA, so we made sure to request a 4WD (not front wheel! those front wheels alone won't get you out of a large area of snow and ice- you need push AND pull for that), the rental place gave us a snow brush and scraper. If you're expecting a big storm a 4WD is really a must for a new snow driver. We thought it would have been good to have a small shovel in the car to dig out if we got stuck. But, we got 18 inches of snow... It doesn't sounds like you'll be getting the same.

Also, I was expecting to be sliding all over the place, and it just wasn't true. They take really good care of plowing the roads there. They know how this goes and how to prepare for it. The parking lots some places weren't plowed very well, but all the main roads and highways were. People out on the roads were also being extra cautious and going slower on the highways as well.

But, as brent s said, go slow and give yourself extra time to stop if needs be. Get to know the brakes on your rental before you go out in the snow, test them out a bit in the parking lot of the rental place, just so you know what to expect. Otherwise, in hindsight, I shouldn't have been so worried. I'm sure you'll do fine too.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:29 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,354,667 times
No worries. Even long time residents don't know how to drive in the snow.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:59 AM

1,395 posts, read 5,082,816 times
I don't know how to drive in the snow either. I just go slow and hope for the best and try to stay off the road if possible.

My mom says if you're sliding to turn the wheel the direction you're sliding and you'll straighten up? I always panic when I slide and I have no idea what I actually end up doing. Luckily I've never had a serious accident. They take pretty good care of the roads so it's not too much of a worry.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:00 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,097,305 times
and believe it or not they even plow the roads out here in western mass.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:18 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,650,295 times
Yes turn the wheel in the direction of the skid but it's a whole lot better to not even get into a skid.

Just drive very slowly and keep a distance behind the car in front of you.

If the roads are slick (icy, light snow) don't use the brakes. DO NOT USE THE BRAKES! You will go for a long ride as if you are on a sled with no steering!!!! Drive so slowly that you don't even need brakes. Stay at an even pace, even if it's 5 MPH--do not try to speed up or slow down.

Watch for these slick places especially if you are in an area with trees that are shielding the sun that WOULD have melted the ice.
(In WMass, driving a BMW--they should be put up on blocks for the winter imho--the car became airborn and crashed into a tree because the road curved in a place where trees had kept it icy.) I was not going fast but it was too fast for the conditions=curve, ice -->tree.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:23 PM

732 posts, read 2,125,426 times
If you are driving up a hill do whatever you can NOT to stop. Try to maintain a decent, but not too fast speed. If you slow down too much on the hill the person behind you may have to stop then they are screwed.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:02 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,995,093 times
Beachcomber: That wasn't nice! True, but not nice ::snicker::
This is my second teenager's first year driving in snow...The "steer in the direction of the skid" is the correct advice. Hard to remember, though, if you've never had it happen before. My advice to him, and my daughter before him: go slow, take it easy, DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THE PERSON BEHIND YOU. Better to **** someone off by going to slow for their liking, than to never make it to your destination.
If you skid and can't remember to turn the wheel, take your foot off the gas (you're not going very fast to begin with), do NOT touch the brake. Ninety-nine point nine per cent of the time, one of the car's wheels will automatically find a patch of road it can grab onto. Then you can proceed with caution. This happened to my son earlier this week and it worked.
The 4WD is good advice. I always found that I had more control with a standard than an automatic but so many people don't know how to drive standards anymore.
Another piece of advice: If at all possible don't drive early in the morning or while the sun is setting or after sunset. Give the plows time to do their work. Many of the chemicals we use to melt ice and snow work better during daylight. This is why we have two-hour delays for school. It gives the roads time to recover from overnight snow/freezing, etc.
You'll be FINE!!!!! Have some fun and Welcome to Massachusetts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts