Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 03:04 PM

109 posts, read 358,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodcathy View Post
I can't speak for west of town, but I've lived both North and South and now, obviously, the Cape. In addition to the cities/towns North of Boston you've previously mentioned, I'd take a look South and Southwest. Canton, Dedham, Norwood. A little further South, but still on the Commuter rail, Middleborough, Carver (although they both are a little more rural. Still, check them out). On another commuter rail line......Hingham, Rockland and down to Plymouth.
I understand about the free parking..I had that, as well........the problem is GETTING to that free parking. I found it much more efficient and less stressful to leave my car at home and take the T.
I'd suggest going to the MBTA's website, click on the commuter rail map, and check out the towns along those lines. Coming into either North or South Station, hubby will have basically the same commute.....depending on how far out you go.
That being said, there are some towns along those commuter rail lines that you probably want to avoid. The ones you've already mentioned are fine.
Thanks capecodcathy! I actually just finished looking at some places in Sharon and Canton, as I found that on transit the commute would be about 50-55 mins which is actually shorter than many of the commutes from North or West. Probably because there is just a change to the redline. I'll have to look at the time's for some of the towns you mentioned but it's definately worth the look!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 03:38 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdjack View Post
Thanks capecodcathy! I actually just finished looking at some places in Sharon and Canton, as I found that on transit the commute would be about 50-55 mins which is actually shorter than many of the commutes from North or West. Probably because there is just a change to the redline. I'll have to look at the time's for some of the towns you mentioned but it's definately worth the look!
I'm surprised you didn't find homes in your price range in Braintree but you did in Sharon- especially given the fact that Sharon's taxes are at least twice as much as Braintree. I know it's not the home price but the monthly cost will add up and let's face it, taxes rarely go down. (Sharon's schools are better without a doubt but Braintrees are still good) Another consideration in favor of Braintree is they have BELD- Braintree Electric Light Department which translates to less expensive electric, cable and I believe they now offer telephone service.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
I'm surprised you didn't find homes in your price range in Braintree but you did in Sharon- especially given the fact that Sharon's taxes are at least twice as much as Braintree. I know it's not the home price but the monthly cost will add up and let's face it, taxes rarely go down. (Sharon's schools are better without a doubt but Braintrees are still good) Another consideration in favor of Braintree is they have BELD- Braintree Electric Light Department which translates to less expensive electric, cable and I believe they now offer telephone service.
Actually I think I found one house in both that was in my price range that I liked or thought wouldn't require too many updates. I actually found more in Canton which doesn't have quite as good of schools, at least based on scores. I did notice that the taxes were definately higher and you're absolutely right that that plays a big factor in the monthly bills!

Old 01-30-2011, 04:55 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,997,347 times
Two nephews and a niece went to Canton Public Schools, elementary through High School. One nephew is still attending. They don't turn out no dummies. One's a graduate of Fairfield, another UMass, third's attending Boston College and the last is a Soph at Canton High.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:39 PM

160 posts, read 571,741 times
What about Bedford (one town west of Lexington and a little more reasonable? Excellent school (top ten). Also, towns along rte 2 (east of the Concord Rotary) do not have a terrible drive to Cambridge. The Fitchburg Commuter Rail line also has a stop at Porter Square (Red Line) and I believe there is also local buses from there...

Old 01-31-2011, 07:46 PM

392 posts, read 919,700 times
Also, if you are still looking for a realtor, check out website activerain.com

it's a professional networking site for realtors, home inspectors etc, but anyone can join in as well. You don't have to join to check out anyone's profile, but if you'd like to pst on their blogs in comment section you need to be memebr (which is free anyway).

Active members blog quite a lot, you can search members by state and by county / town. When reading what they post you can get a sense if they are a good fit for you professionally, personally and geographically. I agree with advice above: it's hard to find one person who'd know it all. Once you narrow down your options, look for a realtor working primary in the town of your choice.

If you click on their profiles, there's contact info (phone numbers, emails, websites), so you don't have to be a member of the site to get in touch with them. But membership never gave me any headaches, and nobody ever sent me spam, so I can say it's safe to join

Old 02-01-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikaram View Post
Also, if you are still looking for a realtor, check out website activerain.com

it's a professional networking site for realtors, home inspectors etc, but anyone can join in as well. You don't have to join to check out anyone's profile, but if you'd like to pst on their blogs in comment section you need to be memebr (which is free anyway).

Active members blog quite a lot, you can search members by state and by county / town. When reading what they post you can get a sense if they are a good fit for you professionally, personally and geographically. I agree with advice above: it's hard to find one person who'd know it all. Once you narrow down your options, look for a realtor working primary in the town of your choice.

If you click on their profiles, there's contact info (phone numbers, emails, websites), so you don't have to be a member of the site to get in touch with them. But membership never gave me any headaches, and nobody ever sent me spam, so I can say it's safe to join
Thanks! That's a great lead. I'm starting to realize this is going to be a greater challenge than I had at first hoped. I'm contemplating ditching my spring break plans with my kids, dumping them on the grandparents, and heading to Boston just so I can have a few days where I can check out all these towns to get a feel for them. I'll really have to look at that board though to find out the scoop on some local agents though.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:20 AM

40 posts, read 114,757 times
Don't know if this is too late for you.

I live in North Reading and commute to Cambridge. Around here a lot of employers are flexible on hours, either coming in early of later. Not sure what you husband does.

Takes me 35 minutes door to door from the center of North Reading to my office in Cambridge. I get in at about 9:50AM. When I leave around 6ish, drive usually isnt that bad either.

10 Minutes of that drive is usually waiting at lights in Cambridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts