Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 03:51 PM

9,927 posts, read 15,500,454 times

Advertisements

All right guys - enough of this, please. None of this is any help to the person on this thread who's looking for housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 09:09 AM

2 posts, read 5,728 times
When I first got out of college, I moved to Cambridge. My first job was a minimum wage job at a record store. And I found a shared apartment situation with complete strangers through the Boston Phoenix. And my next living situations were the same. No biggie.

I agree with tribechamy. Miu you have no idea what Op might be going through in life so stop judging. Some of these kids have been so abused,and maybe Op is just trying to get a little of government help just to be able to survive while going to college. I so easy for some people to judge because they are not on those kids shoes. The same way you are judging you will be judged one day. God forbid you never know if you or someone you love will need government help. I was a teen at 17 years of age all bymyself in this country and I didn't even know english, so I had to get section 8 so I can go to school and college. Well guess what instead of keeping the section 8 and choosing a very good and long career, because of people like you judging me I decided to give up on the section 8. So I had to work instead when I noticed that I won't get paid well with out an good education, then I decided to work and go to college and I already had one child so I had to choose a very short career, and I am so unhappy because this is not what I wanted for me. I wanted to be very succesfull in live, and now I have to live pay check from pay check. Some of these kids even though they are so alone they want to be succesful but they need some kind of help until they make it, but people like you can turn their dreams down.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:35 AM

2 posts, read 5,728 times
Woow this is out line now.

Reading all of these I agree a little with both. I agree with tribechamy that we shouldn't judge and that if my earned taxes can help people in real need or people who are trying to succed in life, then of course is my pleassure to be able to help them. Also I agree that some people needs the help permanent, like the disable, elderly or parent with disable children.

Now I agree a little with Miu as well, in the part that if you are young, healthy and you just want to get government help to better yourself (temporary) then it's ok. But if you are trying to abuse the system then it's not ok. I've been working since I was 17 years old, and I even went to college and worked, but I know plenty of people who are young and healthy and they are living of government help and not doing anything with their lives.

Also in some cases or some situations if you had a child without planning it and then you try to get government help but also try to better yourself then it's ok. Nobody is perfect, but if you continue on having 3,4,5,6 children only to be able to get government help then woowww Nooooo, because I do work hard for my money. I love to help those in real need, but I don't like to be taken advantage. In other words some people are in real need,but others are abusing the system.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:53 AM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,034,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esperanza14 View Post
Also in some cases or some situations if you had a child without planning it and then you try to get government help but also try to better yourself then it's ok. Nobody is perfect, but if you continue on having 3,4,5,6 children only to be able to get government help then woowww Nooooo, because I do work hard for my money. I love to help those in real need, but I don't like to be taken advantage. In other words some people are in real need,but others are abusing the system.
I disagree. More effort should be made for baby mommas to avoid seeking government help as the only solution. What about families helping the situation out? Why aren't the families of BOTH the mother and father of this child? Why are too many times, the father of the child is left off of the birth certificate? And maybe, instead of there being more help for single mothers, there should be incentives for the couple to marry and try hard to work things out.

Maybe it would cost taxpayers less if birth control was offered for free to low income people... having children is fine, if you have a permanent partner and have the financial means to raise them. Planned parenthood... more should be doing this.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:08 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,754,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Why are too many times, the father of the child is left off of the birth certificate?

I thought this was done away with by now for everyone, no? It should be, as unless you do paternity testing before the BC is issued, you don't really know who the biological father is.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:21 PM

62 posts, read 135,040 times
Section 8 is a portable voucher system where the tenant has 'housing choice'. They would simply look for a unit, like anyone else but they are receiving a subsidy through a local city or town's housing authority. Some town's or city's operate an independent list where they draw from applicants who qualify based on income, family composition and housing need. Many times priority is given to a victim of domestic violence, a person(s) displaced by natural hazard, etc. No matter what there are income thresholds. Over 80 City's and Town's in MA are on the centralized wait list, find them here:
Section 8 Centralized Waiting List Massachusetts If they are not on this list, you should contact the town you're interested in directly. There are over 100,00 people on the MA centralized wait list, there is at least a 10-15 wait time depending on situation, and the Federal Housing and Urban Development budget was cut this past year over 6%...

Now, section 8 differs from "public housing" programs. Many folks use the term "public housing" broadly, or even refer to it as section 8 (also vice versa). Public Housing typically means properties owned and operated by a local housing authority, PNP or corporation that has similar requirements to section 8 as far as income, family composition, age (ex: 62+), disability, homelessness...etc. If an applicant receives an offer to live in a public housing unit they only receive the subsidy for that particular unit, at that particular property and cannot make this subsidy portable...as you can do with a section 8 voucher. Applications and wait times are similar to section 8 because there is often a demand for this kind of program, especially if there are properties in desirable areas. Some City's or Town's might have scattered units throughout their jurisdiction that are for use in a public housing program. The funding stream for public housing is a mix of state and federal funds, depending on the unit and requirements of the property.

If you are applying for housing, don't just ask about section 8. This might be a waste of your time. Inquire about public housing applications, and wait lists. Often, the wait time is very high for family units. In a desirable town a family living in public housing would typically occupy that unit over the entire period of time that the school age children are attending school. This is at least 12 years! Usually more if more children are born. And once a family is living in a unit they can stay for as long as they want, typically...

Public Housing and Section 8 are two very different programs and shouldn't be confused with something like section 40b or 'affordable housing'. This is another very different type of 'program' =D

No matter what, remember that if you apply for section 8, public housing or some other kind of housing program you are expected to release all information regarding income, assets and expenses for which you want a deduction. Remember that by signing and accepting a unit or voucher in this program any administrator of this program can contact your employer, financial and medical institutions for which you list on your income reports. Your name and social security number are entered in various databases to cross check income. It seems pretty easy to take advantage of the system...but just remember that ultimately who is really taking advantage of who? All social stigmas aside...

Last edited by papaya21; 02-20-2014 at 03:43 PM..

Old 02-20-2014, 08:37 PM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,034,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I thought this was done away with by now for everyone, no? It should be, as unless you do paternity testing before the BC is issued, you don't really know who the biological father is.
Wow. Seriously?

Old 07-18-2014, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,561 times
Unhappy Worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMMassmomma View Post
I know that I have been on the waitlist since 2004, and I am still "waiting" I have 5 kids, 2 of which are disabled, and my husband works 2 jobs. So we have preference in 2 towns... The centralized section 8 waitlist is a compilation of 91 housing authorities, who each have their own preferences and pick and choose.... So 4-6 years is unrealistic. They are not issuing new vouchers in Massachusetts, they are only issuing by turnover, and no one ever gives it back by choice.

Hi there-I am new here. I have recently been placed into a shelter with my 14 month old daughter. I have spoken to some women here..there are 70 families here homeless. They say they have been here for 2 years, 4 years, 7 months, 9 months. I can't imagine my daughter growing up here sleeping in one room in one bed with me until she's 5 years old. She deserves her own room. This is not the path we wanted to go down. This was not our plan. I am married. 2 years ago we were going to buy a house. We owned a small business and due to the economy..you know the one that 'isn't getting worse' we lost everything and have nothing now. Financial issues led to our break up..and now I am completely on my own. I don't know what to do. And they have an attitude about you being in here and continuously ask you what youre doing all day when you can leave and what youre doing to get out of here. I have been here over 2 months. I have applied to 100 places at the very least for housing..projects (because thats really where i want to live!) but its better than being homeless. And I have also applied for Section 8. Every single place has sent me back that their waiting lists are closed and have been closed since 2001. It's the middle of 2014. What the hell is going on here? DO you know how much it costs to stay in this ****ty motel that i am in? $250 per day. $250 per day..the government can pay but they cant help any of the families here get housing? I have been offered several overnight jobs...I can't take them because I have a 10pm curfew. I am going to be 30 years old. On one hand I am grateful to not be in the street but on the other I am annoyed because I am so afraid Im going to be here forever. My entire family lives several states away. My daughters father isn't involved really..and his family has nothing to do with him or us.

Thoughts?

I was in nursing school when i got pregnant and had to leave due to god awful sickness and i almost lost my daughter. I now owe $800 and cant return until its paid. I am a stay at home Mom..and have been looking for work since my daughter was 3 months old. Things are so bad in MA its not even funny.

Does anybody know any sites I can look at for jobs housing etc?

Old 07-19-2014, 08:39 AM

675 posts, read 1,690,343 times
1derwoman - I'm so sorry for your troubles.

Have you tried contacting the housing authority of the community you live in? Also if you don't mind sharing the community/region you live in? There may be social service agencies that can help you depending upon area.
Is there a church that you attend? Someone there may be able to provide assistance.
Likewise try contacting the social services department of the hospital where you delivered, they may be able to work with you to find resources.
Your local library or the Boston Public Library is another good source for finding programs and services available for you. Start by looking at posters/fliers and asking a reference librarian, and at the BPL check out the Career Center.
You should be eligible for WIC if you don't get it already. Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Nutrition Program
Have you checked out ABCD? ABCD | Home
Also the Boston Public Health Commission may have resources which can help you. Boston Public Health Commission - Home

Do you have childcare for your daughter while you are working? Some moms I know are able to find work at a daycare center so their child can attend while they work. Likewise others try nannying so they can look after their child while looking after another child. Care.com and bostonnanny.com may be able to help. You may be able to start by looking after children of friends.

Do you have friends in the area who can provide help? How long have you lived in the Boston area and is there a reason you would like to stay? Is it possible to contact family for help even if it's just to return to your home state (if you may have more possibility of support like a place to stay or childcare with family/friends)

Sorry again and sorry if I'm repeating things you already know or are doing.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:28 AM

26,638 posts, read 28,466,335 times
You need to apply to every housing authority that you might possibly want to live in. Make phone calls to other parts of the state where the lists are not closed. Get on their lists and keep after them by phone to let them know you are interested. The town you were living in when you became homeless would consider you an emergency case and would put you at the top of the list so that would be an important place to start--make sure they know you were living in that town. With the other towns, you'd have to wait longer.

Section 8 can take forever but stay on it anyway. They will send you a letter every year to make sure you are interested so keep your address up to date with them. If not, you go back to the bottom of the list.

I don't know if you're allowed to work when you live in subsidized housing. I have seen cases when they raised the rent so high (based upon gross income, not net) that the person was better off not working rather than paying childcare, commuting expenses, etc. You need to apply for welfare and other services to help you through the transition. Eventually you will get into housing somewhere--just make sure you call all over the state until you find an area that has housing authorities that have open lists. Once you have a home, you can take it from there and things will fall into place. Good luck. It's not your fault and there are lots of women who have been through this and succeeded in finding housing, school, work, and their kids turned out fine. Try to stay positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts