Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2011, 11:10 AM

20 posts, read 47,160 times

Advertisements

We are flying to Logan next week. My buddy lives in Sharon, MA. I hate to bother him for a ride. I am not too fond of renting a car. I sth traffic very bad going to Sharon from the aiport? How about from Sharon to BU the next day via car at 7:30 am?

We will arrive in Logan at 3 pm. Need to get to my friend's place at Sharon. Looking for bus/train commute. How much is it? Like $8 per person each way?

Then next day, my daughter has an interview at Boston U. We need to commute from Sharon to Boston U. Homw much is it? Like $8 per person each way?

What is the best way to accomplish all this? Please input your ideas. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 01:15 PM

55 posts, read 203,558 times
Take the commuter rail to Sharon then have friend pick you up. On the way to BU, take commuter rail then subway green line to Bu.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:24 PM

613 posts, read 2,306,520 times
check out www.mbta.com

My guess - From Sharon to BU - commuter rail from the Sharon station (Providence Stoughton line) to South Station. At South Station transfer to the Red Line T (subway) and take that to Park St station. From Park St. Station take the Green Line outbound B line (Boston College) to one of the BU stops. I'm thinking about 90 minutes during the rush hr. But I'd allow 2 hrs since your daughter isn't familiar with the trip.

The trip from the airport - Silver Line T (it's a bus) from the Airport terminal to South Station and then the commuter rail (again, Providence-Stoughton line) to the Sharon train station. I'm guessing 90 minutes as well. Maybe 2 hrs. During weekdays, the commuter rail runs pretty regulary in the afternoon, but on weekends, it's like every hour or so.

$8-$10 sounds about right.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:37 AM

How about renting a car and driving from BU to Sharon on Thursday night? Then back from Sharon to BU early Friday morning? I am thinking like 6:45 am departure from Sharon? What is the best way to get to BU from Sharon? Any HOV? Thanks

Old 02-07-2011, 08:39 AM

Default What is the best route to get to BU from Sharon Friday morning?

What is the best way to get to BU from Sharon? Any HOV? I am palnning to leave around 6:45 am. How long should I allow? Thanks

Old 02-07-2011, 10:43 AM

You can drive there, or take commuter rail then connecting with subway. It normally takes AT LEAST 45 minutes driving even with zero traffic so I'd give it 2hrs. There is an HOV lane but for only a few miles.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:52 AM

You may wanna stay at a nearby hotel on Thursday nite since you don't save much renting a car with all the fees plus insurance and then paying for parking on near BU. Go to hotelscombineddotcom and you can get some nice hotels in the city for $90-$100.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:27 PM

613 posts, read 2,306,520 times
It's going to take an hour and a half. I'm not sure where you'll be getting on the highway, but I would take 95N to 93N. Once you get near Boston, 93N will take you through the O'Neill Tunnel and you'll exit at Storrow Drive. Take Storrow Dr to the Kenmore/Fenway exit and get out at Kenmore Sq. (you'll be right by Fenway Park). This is the beginning of the BU campus.

I have to say, you'll hit rush hour. There's an HOV lane on 93N. It's not a super convuluted drive, but it can be a bit confusing if you're not familiar with the area and the roads. Combine that with rush hour... You'll be in one lane and need to exit, but you'll have 5,000 cars in the way. None of which will let you in unless you push your way in. And before you know it, you'll have missed your exit to Storrow Drive, be forced to go over the Zakim Bridge and will end up in Charlestown - nowhere near BU. Sorry, that reminded me of a true story regarding out of town friends who went to IKEA in Stoughton (near Sharon) and were trying to get back to my place in Brookline (I'm less than a mile from BU).

Someone in your other thread suggested that you try a hotel for the night. It may be worthwhile if you need to be somewhere early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts