Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 11:49 PM

341 posts, read 672,091 times

Advertisements

I have seen earlier thread but am going to ask; What is the best town in that area (I know Chicopee is a city). As others posting, I am looking for a semi county setting but still have a decent town center with some New England charm. I have not looked at property in any other towns except Chicopee, which is amazingly cheap....cheap compared to where I am.
I am in So. Calif. and want to RETURN to Mass., but want to live outside the 495 belt,,,I know this is way outside. Any advice,,,I am here in CA for another couple of years, son wants to go to college in Boston,,,Mom wants to move back permanently,,,never wanted to leave in the first place.....so even though California RE has plummeted horribly,,,,I can get what I consider a lovely home in Mass,,,,depending on the town,,,I cannot move to Newton (used to live there)... .....
To sadly put it...looking for a place that I can grow old, as I will be in mid 50s when I return.....also would like to have a home where my children can eventually bring their children....etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 05:16 AM

6 posts, read 40,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsodie2014 View Post
I have seen earlier thread but am going to ask; What is the best town in that area (I know Chicopee is a city). As others posting, I am looking for a semi county setting but still have a decent town center with some New England charm. I have not looked at property in any other towns except Chicopee, which is amazingly cheap....cheap compared to where I am.
I am in So. Calif. and want to RETURN to Mass., but want to live outside the 495 belt,,,I know this is way outside. Any advice,,,I am here in CA for another couple of years, son wants to go to college in Boston,,,Mom wants to move back permanently,,,never wanted to leave in the first place.....so even though California RE has plummeted horribly,,,,I can get what I consider a lovely home in Mass,,,,depending on the town,,,I cannot move to Newton (used to live there)... .....
To sadly put it...looking for a place that I can grow old, as I will be in mid 50s when I return.....also would like to have a home where my children can eventually bring their children....etc....
Have you thought about the Berkshires/Western Mass? I know it's even farther from 495 than Chicopee, but it's really only 2 hours to Boston.
There are many charming towns like Stockbridge, Lenox, Lee, Great Barrington with attractions like Kripalu Yoga Center, Tanglewood, Norman Rockwell Museum, and many others. All these towns are right by exit 2 at Mass Pike.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:47 AM

325 posts, read 924,801 times
Northampton ! (about 20 minutes to Chicopee)

Old 02-13-2011, 07:13 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Westfield and Easthampton are also good choices. Chicopee feels rather urban, it's in a small metro area.

Westfield, Northampton and Easthampton are a bit dense near the center but once you get a few miles out it's quite rural.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:54 AM

Default Thank you for replies...

Can maybe one of you tell me a bit about any of these towns, other than the demographics on this board.....I have heard and found online that Chicopee has (or did) have a high Polish population?? That is my ancestry and would feel good being around that...without moving to Pennsylvania....where part of my family is from. I lived in Mass so many years and want to return to a state I am familiar with...children born there etc...have some family there also.
Why is Northampton a good choice etc...Thank you.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:46 AM

6 posts, read 40,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsodie2014 View Post
Can maybe one of you tell me a bit about any of these towns, other than the demographics on this board.....I have heard and found online that Chicopee has (or did) have a high Polish population?? That is my ancestry and would feel good being around that...without moving to Pennsylvania....where part of my family is from. I lived in Mass so many years and want to return to a state I am familiar with...children born there etc...have some family there also.
Why is Northampton a good choice etc...Thank you.
True, Chicopee has high Polish population, there are some "Polish" stores there with typical foods that everybody knows (kielbasa, pierogies and such). Summertime, local churches hold picnics with Polka bands and fun for everybody. As for the Berkshire part, Housatonic, Great Barrington have some older and younger Polish people (there are 80 year olds, as well as 30-50 year old group. Adams and North Adams are also towns with Polish folks.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:57 AM

522 posts, read 715,343 times
Northampton,South Hadley, Easthampton, Amherst are pretty quintessential New England towns. Do a websearch and check out the Chamber of Commerces for the towns. Usually have good relocation info.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:01 AM

325 posts, read 924,801 times
Chicopee, Hadley, and even Northampton have a strong Polish heritage (check out some of the names in the Phonebook). Northampton has a Polish Parade in October and I think Chicopee has a Kielbasa Festival. You will find churches that have masses in Polish. Nevertheless with time things have become more diluted in gerneral and people are less segregated than, say, my grandparents' generation.

I suggest Northampton because it is a very vibrant walkable community with a great downtown area, lots of arts/culture, restaurants & unique shops. It is, beacuse of this, more desirable/expensive than other areas like Chicopee (which is kind of a tired mill city).

Old 02-13-2011, 11:45 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Northampton has a Polish Catholic Church and there's a place with Polish food in Hadley.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspt17 View Post
True, Chicopee has high Polish population, there are some "Polish" stores there with typical foods that everybody knows (kielbasa, pierogies and such). Summertime, local churches hold picnics with Polka bands and fun for everybody. As for the Berkshire part, Housatonic, Great Barrington have some older and younger Polish people (there are 80 year olds, as well as 30-50 year old group. Adams and North Adams are also towns with Polish folks.

Thank you so much for that info...I want to come back there soooooooo bad I can hardly stand it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts