Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 10:41 AM

5 posts, read 53,067 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I just moved to Pittsfield, MA a little under a year ago as this is where my husband works and owns a home. We are hoping to sell our house soon and buy a larger, nicer house that we can start a family in. Since I'm not originally from the berkshires I don't know where the best places are to live. We are looking for a town that has good schools, is very safe and not too rural (still some things to do), and is a 30 minute drive or less to Pittsfield. I have heard good things about Dalton and Lenox, as well as certain areas of Pittsfield.

Can anyone suggest towns/areas we should look for a new home? We are looking to spend up to $350,000 on a house.

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 08:38 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,256,732 times
You might also want to consider Lee, Great Barrington and Williamstown. The latter two might be a tough commute come winter, but both have decent schools.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:07 AM

6 posts, read 40,941 times
You may want to look at Great Barrington, Lee, Lenox... I think all these towns are great and have very good schools. Housatonic is also a nice town, it is, actually, a "village" of Great Barrington. It takes about 30-35 min. drive from GB to get to Pittsfield (you can use either Rte 7 or 41).
You really would be close to everything that this area has to offer: from schools to restaurants, from shopping to Tanglewood, Berkshire Theatre Festival, Norman Rockwell Museum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtotheBerkshires View Post
Hello everyone,

I just moved to Pittsfield, MA a little under a year ago as this is where my husband works and owns a home. We are hoping to sell our house soon and buy a larger, nicer house that we can start a family in. Since I'm not originally from the berkshires I don't know where the best places are to live. We are looking for a town that has good schools, is very safe and not too rural (still some things to do), and is a 30 minute drive or less to Pittsfield. I have heard good things about Dalton and Lenox, as well as certain areas of Pittsfield.

Can anyone suggest towns/areas we should look for a new home? We are looking to spend up to $350,000 on a house.

Thanks for your help

Old 02-15-2011, 09:53 AM

732 posts, read 2,125,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtotheBerkshires View Post
Hello everyone,

Thanks for your help
I grew up in Dalton moving here to Austin a little over a year ago. If the criteria in bold is all you are looking for than Dalton is appropriately on your short list.

The schools in Dalton are fairly diverse economically and scholastically but not racially. The area of Dalton I lived would probably be the most rural area. It was nice to live far enough out to not have any traffic on our street and breathing room between houses yet still being only a few miles from the grocery store in Pittsfield.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:47 PM

113 posts, read 374,333 times
There is some excellent housing in the area of Pittsfield close to Cranwell. I drove along the parkways there last year -- gorgeous Victorians! Also, along South Mountain Road there were some newer, tastefully large homes that go in the 350k range.

If you like skiing, it's be nice to live right by Bosquet like that, I'd imagine.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts