Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:35 AM

5 posts, read 8,024 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to MA soon and am looking to find a place to rent in towns between Framingham and Boston. A single male in my late twenties, I would love to have easy access to Boston itself by car or train. I am guessing the commute to Framingham won't be a hassle since I will be going against the normal flow of traffic. I am budgeting for 1100 - 1400 including heat, hot water and other utilities.

Anyone have suggestions about towns that could fit the profile and specifically apartment complexes or rental agencies? I can provide more details if necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 11:50 AM

55 posts, read 118,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jun1e View Post
I will be moving to MA soon and am looking to find a place to rent in towns between Framingham and Boston. A single male in my late twenties, I would love to have easy access to Boston itself by car or train. I am guessing the commute to Framingham won't be a hassle since I will be going against the normal flow of traffic. I am budgeting for 1100 - 1400 including heat, hot water and other utilities.

Anyone have suggestions about towns that could fit the profile and specifically apartment complexes or rental agencies? I can provide more details if necessary.

I am in the same position as you, I will be working in Franklin starting in June and I am also looking for a place around that area. Framingham is on my list of possible places to rent. I am told it is as close as you will get to an urban town not including Boston/Providence. The closer you get to the Boston area the more expensive. Try using Hotpads.com for rentals

Old 02-23-2011, 12:47 PM

420 posts, read 1,369,604 times
While working in framingham I have lived in both Brookline and Newton. Both are great choices depending on how urban you're looking for, and how much you're looking to spend.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwyre237 View Post
While working in framingham I have lived in both Brookline and Newton. Both are great choices depending on how urban you're looking for, and how much you're looking to spend.
I was considering those areas. Is my range 1200 -1400 adequate enough? I would say moderately urban but considering what I've heard about parking in the urban areas in and around Boston I am not sure if that works. What about the Waltham area.

I am willing to up my range a bit if I can find a spot with easy commute and easy access via rail into the city when I need to.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:42 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,307,085 times
Waltham, Newton, Brookline and Brighton (particularly Brighton Center-Oak Square) might work. All of these places have relatively easy access to the Mass Pike and/or Route 9.

Your budget sounds OK for rent, but you should really try to find a place with heat included or you'll go way over. Brookline would be the most expensive, and the toughest to park in (no overnight parking on the street, apts with a spot are uncommon and expensive).

Brighton and Waltham (or at least Waltham Center/Moody St area) have nightlife options so you wouldn't have to trek downtown every time you want to go out. Brookline as well. Newton has a couple of bars but not that many. It's pretty quiet at night, but I live in Newtonville and it's 10 mins to Waltham or Brighton and there are taxi companies. It's also not that far to the Kenmore, Back Bay, Harvard or downtown Boston areas, but getting home by mass transit can be tough. Last commuter train to Newtonville is 11:25 on weeknights, 11:00 on Saturday. There's the Green Line but it doesn't come straight to Newtonville. It goes farther south in Newton. Check the MBTA website for options.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
I was considering those areas. Is my range 1200 -1400 adequate enough? I would say moderately urban but considering what I've heard about parking in the urban areas in and around Boston I am not sure if that works. What about the Waltham area.

I am willing to up my range a bit if I can find a spot with easy commute and easy access via rail into the city when I need to.
1200-1400 may price you out of Brookline, but we're currently in a nice 2 bedroom in West Newton for 1500 (utilities included). One of the pros, and cons about Brookline is that you would be required to have off street parking (no parking over night on streets in Brookline). My current commute to Framingham is around 20-30 mins depending on what time I leave, and if I take the pike, or route 9. Since it is a reverse commute, and I've set up hours to avoid traffic further (8:30-4:30) I couldn't hope for a better commute.

The commute from Brookline was comparable + 10 mins depending on exactly where you're coming from.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwyre237 View Post
1200-1400 may price you out of Brookline, but we're currently in a nice 2 bedroom in West Newton for 1500 (utilities included). One of the pros, and cons about Brookline is that you would be required to have off street parking (no parking over night on streets in Brookline). My current commute to Framingham is around 20-30 mins depending on what time I leave, and if I take the pike, or route 9. Since it is a reverse commute, and I've set up hours to avoid traffic further (8:30-4:30) I couldn't hope for a better commute.

The commute from Brookline was comparable + 10 mins depending on exactly where you're coming from.
Utilities including electricity, heat and hot water as well? Thanks for the info about the commute times. It looks much saner than the commute into Boston.

Last edited by jun1e; 02-23-2011 at 08:44 PM..

Old 02-24-2011, 05:49 AM

64 posts, read 159,792 times
I am partial to Brighton. I lived in the Cleveland circle area for years. It's exactly 30 min to Framingham from Oak Square (it's a mile away from the Pike), and 35 from the other side of Comm Ave if you take route 9. We are renting out our 800 sq ft 2 bedroom condo for $1850. I think a one bedroom may be less. Everyone who lives there will be just like you: young people in their 20s, recently graduated from college, on their first job, having fun on the weekends. Newton is good too. Other towns might be too boring for a single dude in his 20s. If you like a little bit more quiet and suburban, waltham is good too, depending where though, b/c if you get away too far from the Mass Pike, your commute gets longer.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Utilities including electricity, heat and hot water as well? Thanks for the info about the commute times. It looks much saner than the commute into Boston.
Our utilities actually include H/HW and even electric... but this isnt common, we were surprised when we heard it too.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheina Maydela View Post
I am partial to Brighton. I lived in the Cleveland circle area for years. It's exactly 30 min to Framingham from Oak Square (it's a mile away from the Pike), and 35 from the other side of Comm Ave if you take route 9. We are renting out our 800 sq ft 2 bedroom condo for $1850. I think a one bedroom may be less. Everyone who lives there will be just like you: young people in their 20s, recently graduated from college, on their first job, having fun on the weekends. Newton is good too. Other towns might be too boring for a single dude in his 20s. If you like a little bit more quiet and suburban, waltham is good too, depending where though, b/c if you get away too far from the Mass Pike, your commute gets longer.
Agreed, brighton is a good choice too. We lived in the cleveland circle area, but just into the brookline side.

When in brookline we had a 2 bedroom around 750sq for 1600 + 150 for parking spot (total 1750). There are less expensive options in brookline/brighton, but it will take you further away from the T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts