Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 02:13 PM

24 posts, read 82,309 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am interested in relocating to the New England area and hope to find a place soon. I do NOT like long cold winters and am not looking forward to the snow and cold I hear so much about. Please do not tell me New England is not the place for me. I am interested to know where the best weather might be? By best I mean sunshine, four distinct seasons, the least cold and snowy. I am coming from dreary Portland Oregon, long periods of rain and clouds are not something I enjoy.

I am also interested in veggie friendly towns if possible. Me and both kids are vegetarian.

Drumming is important to me as well. I would like to live in a place where there will be drumming circles.

I have two children so school is also important. I would like to be in a place where there are great public schools with very low class sizes. My kids are recieving a wonderful education here with 11 kids in one class and eighteen in another. It is a tough thing to walk away from. If anyone knows of such a place that is not so far out in the styx please let me know.

Being near a city will be nice for the opportunities a city can offer but living in a big city is not important.

That is all for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 04:56 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times
Default Check out towns near the coast

Just to get you started here, you'll generally find the mildest winters (mild being a relative term) within a few miles of the coast. It might be foggy on occasion, but generally the area will be about as sunny as more inland locations, with somewhat milder temperatures, and about a third less snow.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:01 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,656,638 times
How about Cape Cod? Cape Cod Vegetarians The winters are a little better south of Boston near the coast.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:44 PM

100 posts, read 381,475 times
Cape cod is an idea but not sure about you finding drumming circles there and they can get hit with freak snowstorms but it will be warmer there than the rest of New England or you might want to consider southern CT although it is crowded there.

I wouldn't say that it is all that sunny here in winter but probably more sunny than where you are. Some folks suffer with Seasonal affective disorder here in the winter.

I was thinking you might like it in the Northampton MA or Brattleboro VT area, if you are veg and into drumming, lots of homeschoolers here as well.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:09 PM

286 posts, read 1,118,594 times
Portsmouth, NH comes to mind. It's near the water which will moderate the summers and winters a bit, is veg-friendly (I'm vegetarian and didn't have any trouble finding good food while there), and while I don't know about any drumming circles per se, it's got that vibe downtown.

The other places I can think of offhand have one or the other--a mild climate (CT coast, Cape Cod, Providence RI), or have the atmosphere you're looking for (Northampton MA, Burlington VT), but not really both. I don't know anything about the schools, though, so you might want to look into those places and see if any of them qualify.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:27 PM

286 posts, read 1,118,594 times
I was curious, it looks like meetup.com has a good number of people signed up to participate in a drum circle in Portsmouth.

And the student:teacher ratio is under 11 (pdf):
http://www.ed.state.nh.us/education/...02005-2006.pdf

Anyhow, you might want to check it out (go in late September if you want to be convinced to go; the foliage will knock your socks off. Go in February to see *any* New England town at its worst, if you want to be dissuaded. The weather won't be at its coldest, but any remaining snow won't be pretty.)

I know you put this in the Mass. forum, though. Are you specifically looking there?

Old 07-25-2007, 11:33 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,022,184 times
Winters in New England will be mild or cold- that will be determined where you come from. If from the Midwest- it will be decidedly milder. If from coastal California; Florida or the deep south, AZ and parts of Texas it will be colder.

Southern New England is the mildest region; and coastal areas of southern New England are the mildest of the six state region.

Winters near the coast are moderated by the Atlantic ocean. This keeps winters milder, and summers cooler then locations further inland.

New England has many micro climates- winters generally begin late throughout the region, especially along the coast, because of the still warm waters of the Atlantic. Mild weather with tempertures in the 60s and even 70 degrees can extend will into November especially in southern New England and south coastal areas. Winters arrive late- with increasing severity as one goes into Vermont, upstate New Hampshire and central northern Maine.

Winters typically last 3-3.5 months. Coastal regions see spring retarded more then inland locations because of the still chilly waters of the nearby ocean. While in the heat of summer, coastal locations will enjoy a cooling sea breeze

Climate change is making all of New England's climate milder then 25 years ago..

Old 07-25-2007, 12:38 PM

57 posts, read 379,198 times
I've sent you a PM but just incase you don't notice

how on earth was my post off topic and deleted like so many have been by you , then you tell me I get an infraction for being racist (huh) please provide one comment I've done)

I told the poster not sure about veggie towns
I told her about the weather is more milder in southern england
I asked her what drumming was

is this because I am more of a consevative than you?

valid question

Last edited by manc; 07-25-2007 at 12:57 PM..

Old 07-25-2007, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,386 times
I've been a long time lurker on here and enjoy the views and forum.

Now I have noticed lately that mancs post have been deleted but I had read them before they got deleted like the thread called the great migration before that was deleted.

Now it seems skytrekker has been censoring his posts which is a shame as like I mentioned all views and posters on this forum I enjoy.
I have seen nothing abusive from her/his posts as all.
If you as a mod have a personal disagreement with him please keep it off here

Stop the censorship and let us enjoy the forum, if us posters find a post offensive then we will report it.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:15 PM

6 posts, read 20,366 times
If you want to be in Boston, Jamaica Plain is your home.

Check out Spontaneous Celebrations... also Centre Street Cafe.

Good luck with the move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts