Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 04:16 AM

8 posts, read 14,510 times

Advertisements

My husband has got a job in Hopkinton. We want to move somewhere that has good schools and very family friendly. We are considering Franklin, but not finding a lot in our price range ($450 - 500). Can any one tell me about Northborough/Southborough? Are the schools good and do they have family friendly neighborhoods? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 11:01 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
I don't know either Northborough or Southborough really well, so I can't tell you anything from personal experience. They both have the reputation of being pleasant towns with good schools. Southborough has high housing costs, though. You might find that you have few options in your price range in Southborough. One town I'd suggest you consider is Holliston, which is next door to Hopkinton.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:21 PM

31 posts, read 63,852 times
I live in Westborough and its an amazing community, right next to Hopkinton too. Depending on what you want in a house you should be able to find something in your price range here. The schools are EXCELLENT! Search greatschools.net almost all the schools are a 10 ranking! Westborough has a really active newcomers club too that is a great way to get to know people in town. We are close to 495, rt.9 and the pike...its a great central location with tons of shopping and good restaurants. send me a direct message if you want more info!

Old 04-01-2011, 06:47 PM

925 posts, read 2,742,402 times
There are plenty of good places to pick from, including Hopkinton itself, Southborough, Holliston, etc. (I've lived in all three...feel free to drop me a line if you have questions about them.) Holliston might get you more for your money.

Here's the latest school rankings from Boston Magazine:

School Rankings

Hopkinton also received an honorable mention in the US News & World Report ranking of top public high schools in the country.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:59 AM

31 posts, read 63,852 times
There's Westborough!! On the list as the 18th best school system! No surprise there!

Old 04-03-2011, 03:13 PM

10 posts, read 17,736 times
Hello everybody, I am planning to open overseas business in Boston area as a branch of my company, and we plan with my family to relocate to work in this company. We are from Moscow, Russia. My daughter is 8 y.o., but English is her second language - just started at her school, her main language is Russian.
What would you recommend? I am looking at Arlington, Belmont - was reading many posts at these forums. My criteria are good schools and decent price for small office rentals, family -oriented community, no-crime area. We plan to rent apartment first and then we will see...
I would appreciate your opinions. Thanks in advance!

Old 04-03-2011, 03:51 PM

925 posts, read 2,742,402 times
I would contact with the elementary schools in the towns of interest and speak with them firsthand to see what resources they have for teaching English as a second language (ESL) and what their plan would be to teach English to a child who's a little older. I believe the program would vary depending on the child's age.

Although all school systems are required to provide this as a resource, some do it much better than others. We have family in Concord and they've found the ESL programs there are very strong, and there are many children in the program. Their children mastered the language rather quickly.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmann-sherborn View Post
I would contact with the elementary schools in the towns of interest and speak with them firsthand to see what resources they have for teaching English as a second language (ESL) and what their plan would be to teach English to a child who's a little older. I believe the program would vary depending on the child's age.

Although all school systems are required to provide this as a resource, some do it much better than others. We have family in Concord and they've found the ESL programs there are very strong, and there are many children in the program. Their children mastered the language rather quickly.
Thank you very much for your answer! I am planning to visit soon and speak to lawyers in the area on branch incorporation. The plan is to incorporate and then to move for 1 year with family - wife and daughter. I never heard about special ESL program for children - I believe it will be much easier for them to learn English than for adults :-)
If to choose closer to Boston - what would you recommend to consider firsthand? Thanks!

Old 04-04-2011, 09:01 AM

29 posts, read 74,325 times
For an 8 year old, Reading Comprehension is big in almost all elementary schools and your daughter's English language learning requirement will not be an obstacle because all schools will have options to tailor the curriculum to her language level. Close to Boston, I have heard people say that Lexington, Arlington, Waltham, Winchester - all seem to have good schools. From personal experience, your challenge would be to find a suitable rental home in these places. I know that Arlington and Winchester are closer to the city. Waltham, Concord and Lexington are not as close to the city but still drivable.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essel View Post
For an 8 year old, Reading Comprehension is big in almost all elementary schools and your daughter's English language learning requirement will not be an obstacle because all schools will have options to tailor the curriculum to her language level. Close to Boston, I have heard people say that Lexington, Arlington, Waltham, Winchester - all seem to have good schools. From personal experience, your challenge would be to find a suitable rental home in these places. I know that Arlington and Winchester are closer to the city. Waltham, Concord and Lexington are not as close to the city but still drivable.
Thank you for your reply! What is Reading Comprehension? I am not really well familiar with schools specifics in US, especially for 8 yo. girl. How can I check the level of ESL in particular school? How to compare with other schools? I have no idea - maybe you can advice?

As for the proximity to Boston - actually Boston downtown is not the goal for the office - I can rent office too in other town - because anyway we will be driving with my wife. And my office will be more for administrative work rather than for clients visiting :-) We are small family based company importing equipment from USA to Russia...

It was quite a challenge to study descriptions of towns and schools close to Boston - it is complete confusion in my head now!
I was looking at Arlington as one option. But also Belmont looks like nice low-crime place. What would you say of Belmont for both apartment / house rental prices (two bedroom apartment or house) and for small commercial office rental (size ~ 300 - 500 sq feet)?

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts