Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 04:44 PM

368 posts, read 1,388,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudestmonkey View Post
You'll find the system here is very different. In Massachusetts especially people basically buy their way into good schools through the town they live in and the schools can vary greatly from town to town because it greatly depends on the funding from the town.
So true! I've always said I'd rather live on the fringes of the best town eating beanie-weanies, rather than have the best house in a lesser community, just so my kids can get a better education.

While there are exceptions everywhere - in general you pay for a higher quality education, even in the public school system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 05:28 PM

234 posts, read 628,941 times
Haha, just read my post again and I apologize for the poor grammatical marking and redundant wording, I had a 1 year old crawling on me!

Old 03-30-2011, 06:49 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenda107 View Post
Hi we are moving from Ireland to MA at the end of the month. My husband will be working in Marlboro and we are looking for somewhere nice to live close by with good schools. We are going to rent until we are sure where we want to settle. I have been on greatschools website a lot but I really do not understand the school system yet. We do not have any site like this here for national school. Do I trust the ratings ? How do they work ?
Also we are planning to visit schools next week does anyone have any tips on what kind of questions we should be asking?
In Ireland children start school at the age of 5 they do 2 years called junior and senior infants, from there it goes from 1st to 6th class when students finish this school and go on to post primary school where they finish after 6 years usually at the age of 18.Can anyone explain how the school system works in the U.S. I am a little confused we do not have middle schools here.
Here kids learn to read and write in junior infants at the age of 5. My 7 year old is in first class and has a reading age of 11 this is quite common here. On some of the posts I have read here people have said that kids do not learn to read and write until 1st grade. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. My main concern with moving is all to do with schools. Don't think the budget will stretch for private yet. Are they as expensive as people say? We have two school going boys aged 7 and 11.
[+] Rate this post positively
Natick is near however the schools not so sure.
My advice is to really contact the schools and then do decide. Also if not in the best school you also could help them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts