Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 05:24 PM

50 posts, read 144,805 times

Advertisements

I am trying to decide where to relocate my family of 5. We really like Marblehead Massachusetts but would like to see other options. Here is what we are looking for:
-MUST be waterfront (my kids are avid sailers so it would be nice is we could walk or have a short drive to the ocean)
-small town (under 100,000 people)
-great schools (either excellent public schools or private school options)
-community oriented
-safe (i want my kids to be able to play in the front yard without me worrying and when they get older I want them to be able to walk/bike/drive around town without me worrying about them)

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 05:29 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,737 times
Before I opened the thread Marblehead was the response. I did a lot of work there when I worked for Comcast, That place is AWESOME!!!! Especially Old Town. Lots of $$$$ though.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:50 PM

10 posts, read 35,764 times
Are you particular about which part of Mass you want to live in?

In central Mass there are many different lakes like Webster Lake (Webster Lake Real Estate | Webster, MA Homes for Sale) and in Charlton there is Glen Echo Shore (Glen Echo Lake | Home Page). If you're looking more for ocean front (which I assume you are since you're looking in Marblehead) you could also try Somerset or Berkley. They are both waterfront towns that I feel meet all of your criteria. I grew up in that area and the boating is great there and the neighborhoods are safe.

If you have any other questions about any of the locations let me know.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:05 PM

50 posts, read 144,805 times
thank you for the suggestions so far. I want to clarify that the most important thing is that it is waterfront and ocean is ideal. Other than that, I do not care what part of Massachusetts it is

Old 04-06-2011, 06:25 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
With close to 200 miles of coastlines, there are many towns that could work for you and your family. Do you have a preference as to South Shore, North Shore, Cape Cod, etc? Narrowing down by region would be helpful IF location is important to you.

That said, one town that I could recommend is Newburyport. It's family oriented, lots of festivals throughout the year. The downside is that being a port town, it's at the mouth of the Merrimack River, and not directly on the ocean.

Other towns that come to mind are Marblehead and Beverly. Amazing oceanfront property. Big $$ but oh, the views...

Just noticed your 2nd post and noted that location is not an option. If you don't mind my asking, where are you moving to MA from? Could be a bit of culture shock, depending on what you're used to... I am looking forward to the recommendations of other folks, particularly on the south shore, which I am not at all familiar with. Even people 'in the business' learn here at City Data

Last edited by Valerie C; 04-06-2011 at 06:39 PM..

Old 04-06-2011, 06:52 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,977 times
South of Boston seaside towns that would give kids the freedom to move about town and have excellent public schools:
Top 3
Cohasset
Hingham
Duxbury

Worthy of consideration:
Scituate
Marshfield

You can travel further to the Cape or South Coast and have plenty of private options and being avid sailors, your kids might do well at a school like Tabor that does have an acclaimed sailing team.

As far as public schools the 2 best are Nauset and Sandwich both which have plenty of sailing and oceanfront options but most towns on Cape would give you easy ocean access and excellent private school choices. Cape Cod Academy, Falmouth Academy and Tabor Academy in Marion are great options.

If Cape Cod Academy would be to your liking I would seriously consider Osterville. It is a village of the larger town of Barnstable but has a very different feel and identity than other parts of that town.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:35 PM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Marion and Mattapoisett fit the bill too and might offer more for the money.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:50 PM

40 posts, read 139,592 times
Manchester by the Sea!!! Best of all the options mentioned so far, in my humble opinion. Super safe, excellent schools, best harbor--many people live there to be able to sail, amazing beaches, and type of community that has everything you need in small, very friendly format. Hope it helps.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:10 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specval09 View Post
Are you particular about which part of Mass you want to live in?

In central Mass there are many different lakes like Webster Lake (Webster Lake Real Estate | Webster, MA Homes for Sale) and in Charlton there is Glen Echo Shore (Glen Echo Lake | Home Page). If you're looking more for ocean front (which I assume you are since you're looking in Marblehead) you could also try Somerset or Berkley. They are both waterfront towns that I feel meet all of your criteria. I grew up in that area and the boating is great there and the neighborhoods are safe.

If you have any other questions about any of the locations let me know.
Webster is a hell hole. She has 5 kids...Webster is no place for her.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:21 AM

324 posts, read 1,089,899 times
Can I second the rec for Manchester by the Sea!? I met several people from there when I was in high school (through an academic club) and I was so jealous of them...the town is just beautiful and the schools are very good. It's also accessible to Boston by commuter rail! There are also a bunch of older rambling farmhouse-type homes which would probably be great for a big family. (it's expensive, no surprise).

There is also a fabulous town beach, Singing Beach. Every year I'm tempted to give up city life and move to Manchester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts