Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:50 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny99 View Post
FiOS is a dedicated fiber path that is future proof. Cable is shared by your neighbors...which is why your connection is slower when everyone comes home from work. As Video on Demand, and other internet bandwidth hogs, become more prevalent FiOS will shine even more while Comcast's shared connection hits turtle speed. "Xfinity" is just a marketing name for the same old comcrap...like putting a tux on a pig. Go with FiOS.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I love reading posts by those with misperceptions of reality.
Being one of the DIRECT developers of the FIOS equipment...

Quote:" Cable is shared by your neighbors..."

And so is FIOS. Geez, you learn this in networks 101.

Quote:"FiOS is a dedicated fiber path that is future proof."

May I sell you a bridge?

I guess some will buy any of the marketing crap.

(BTW, my new house IS wired with fiber... but do you really need OC-192 to each room?)

20Mb/sec over cable holds me fine. (for data)
Dish Network is my video provider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 04:10 PM

20 posts, read 57,549 times
The mere fact that Comcast is trying to change their brand name to Xfinity due to consistant dismal customer service ratings should help answer this.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:41 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,811,466 times
Yes but technically Verizon was Bell Atlantic and GTE..and before that Bell Atlantic was New England Telephone...phone companies constantly change their names..just like the current AT&T isn't the old one.

To claim fios is wired directly to your house is a bit misleading because that would mean that more land would have to be ripped up creating much more lines going everywhere. While that might sound good from security think about it for a moment. If with comcast something happens and you are out that means others are out. If it's just your house with FIOS they can take their time since you are just one customer vs an entire block.

I think it depends really what service you are looking for. For internet I see no issues with comcast. I've had them (and adelphia before them) for ten or so years with no real issues. The phone on the other hand can be iffy because it's kinda a voip system. Technically an old phone line maintains power even in a storm. If your fios or cable is out then the phone will be out within a few hours.

If you get fios it stays with the house. They take out the old copper wires. If you want the old system put back you can't..they won't, it stays with the house.

In all due respect people are better off with cell phones than home phones.

For tv I'd argue FIOS does better but comcast is catching up. What you have to remember with this is that local contracts exist. Verizon attempted to go to the state government to bypass this but was denied. In most localities there is not much in the way of cable competition (satellite sure) Braintree has Beld but beyond that it usually is just one company.

Wifi keeps spreading to the point where it might get to overlap areas. Online streaming can bypass physical cables..if there is more satellite competition this is a possibility to get around contracts.

Personally I wish that all towns has a choice of cable and fios but not all do.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Yes but technically Verizon was Bell Atlantic and GTE..and before that Bell Atlantic was New England Telephone...phone companies constantly change their names..just like the current AT&T isn't the old one.

If you get fios it stays with the house. They take out the old copper wires. If you want the old system put back you can't..they won't, it stays with the house.

Personally I wish that all towns has a choice of cable and fios but not all do.

Quote:" They take out the old copper wires. If you want the old system put back you can't."

Sorry, not true. They wanted to take out the old copper wires, but I wanted to keep the twisted pair to the central office, and they cannot legally take out the copper lines. If you let them, they will take them (nice to have a captive audience, huh?).
I want a phone that works when the power goes out.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:53 AM

86 posts, read 254,388 times
Drop cable, just get internet and stream movies and TV. You'll find that you don't miss it at all after a few days.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:45 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskothek View Post
Drop cable, just get internet and stream movies and TV. You'll find that you don't miss it at all after a few days.
I don't agree.
If you're like me, you do if you like watching HD tv on a big screen and channel surfing as well as a dvr(best invention ever). Can't really compare to watching tv on a computer.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:56 PM

86 posts, read 254,388 times
I guess it depends how much TV you watch. I find most shows to be crap anyways. As long as I get my Bruins games I'm all set.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:45 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,811,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post

Quote:" They take out the old copper wires. If you want the old system put back you can't."

Sorry, not true. They wanted to take out the old copper wires, but I wanted to keep the twisted pair to the central office, and they cannot legally take out the copper lines. If you let them, they will take them (nice to have a captive audience, huh?).
I want a phone that works when the power goes out.
Well sometimes they take them even if you don't apparently
FiOS users say Verizon cuts copper wires, cheaper options - Boston.com

On the subject of tv online there's a fair amount of services. There is a debate with Hulu as what was once mostly free now has a hulu plus program at about $8 a month. There's also Netflix which is around the same..other companies like boxee, google tv and roku.

That is interesting with this is there are continued debates in light of SOPA as to how much control ultimately is going to be exerted.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Well sometimes they take them even if you don't apparently
FiOS users say Verizon cuts copper wires, cheaper options - Boston.com

On the subject of tv online there's a fair amount of services. There is a debate with Hulu as what was once mostly free now has a hulu plus program at about $8 a month. There's also Netflix which is around the same..other companies like boxee, google tv and roku.

That is interesting with this is there are continued debates in light of SOPA as to how much control ultimately is going to be exerted.

Not to be a litigious little bugger.. but taking the copper lines out is theft.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:28 PM

4 posts, read 7,972 times
Stick with FIOS. I live in Lynn & Comcast has been here forever. Verizon came in a while ago, with FIOS coming in about 5 years ago. We recently got the triple play bundle with Verizon, as we already had them for phone & internet. My aunt pays only $25-$30 a month less for Comcast cable only than what I pay for phone, internet & Cable! No comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts