Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 07:52 AM

623 posts, read 965,818 times

Advertisements

Try the silver lake campground in Belmont,nh. They have cabins for rent and is on the water
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 09:59 AM

12,848 posts, read 22,021,203 times
I'd check a rental by owner site (VRBO, etc) for places in Westport, MA. Many of them include beach passes to the private Bakers Beach (an ocean front beach with snack bar, private changing rooms, and soft white sand that's groomed every day). Even if they don't, Horseneck Beach and Cherry and Webb (really all the same, long stretch of beach as Bakers) are fantastic as well.

The great thing about Westport is that it's South facing. Water is MUCH warmer (10 degrees or more) than the North Shore (or Maine, NH, etc) in July. Swimming is much better. Red Tides are rarely a problem (like they can be in Newport, RI). You do get surf, occasionally which is nice, but you have to keep an eye on kids.

Westport is off most people's radar. It's sandwiched between Newport, Cape Cod, and Martha's Vineyard so it sort of slips between the cracks of vacation searches. Rentals are slightly cheaper and most who visit will tell you that the beaches are better (all around) than most of the public beaches on Cape Cod. With the exception of the National Seashore, I'd be inclined to agree (spent my summers in Brewster growing up which was beautiful too).

In addition to Westport, I'd check out rentals in South Dartmouth (i.e. Padanaram Village and Round Hill areas), and Fairhaven (Sconticut Neck is great, but West Island is a real gem with. It's about 2 square miles, connected to the mainland by causeway but includes a HUGE white sand beach, forest with hiking, and rocky shoreline). I think you'll find great value down there and it's not even close to as... well, "different" as Hampton Beach, Old Orchard Beach or Salisbury Beach. Much more the prototypical quiet Cape Cod-like beach scene.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:06 PM

779 posts, read 877,067 times
This might be a really bad suggestion because you requested beach vacation options, but I'm throwing it out there, anyway.

Bar Harbor, Maine? It's on the water, so at least there is that. I just love Acadia National Park as a summer destination because it's not completely crazy like the Cape or even Kennebunkport.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:49 PM

735 posts, read 3,501,600 times
Hey- thanks folks- lots of good info to chomp on here.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:22 PM

304 posts, read 774,335 times
Old Orchard Beach in Maine is a beautiful and very fun and you can usually find some pretty good deals.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:27 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,284 times
Watch Hill in Rhode island might be worth looking at.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:55 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Default Check out southern RI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
Watch Hill in Rhode island might be worth looking at.
I second that. South County in RI is really nice and more affordable than the Cape, Newport, and the Vineyard. It's not on the radar but the beaches are every bit as beautiful as the Cape. You also have the Block Island Ferry nearby and Block Island is a fantastic seaside destination for biking, beaching, & seafood. Look into areas like Watch Hill, Misquamicut, Point Judith etc. on the southern coast of RI if your looking for sandy beaches and nice water temps.

http://www.southcountyri.com/

http://www.blockislandinfo.com/

Old 04-14-2011, 04:51 AM

735 posts, read 3,501,600 times
Great suggestions everyone- thank you. What I am finding with VRBO and Homeaway is that even homes that seem reasonable can be deceiving. They list them as for example: $1,500/wk but that is really the starting point. (off-season) You pull up the listing and it is $3,400 in July.

Vacation rentals, private rooms, sublets by the night - Accommodations on Airbnb seems to be like a likely option for us because we'll be able to find properties where we can stay for 4 days- saving money and maybe getting into a good location at the same time..

Old 04-14-2011, 07:12 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,649,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown_mama View Post
Old Orchard Beach in Maine is a beautiful and very fun and you can usually find some pretty good deals.
I would second Old Orchard. There is a part just south called Ocean Park which is really nice. Also, I know it was mentioned here, but not many people talk about the beaches in Rhode Island. I think the one I used to go to quite a bit was Scarborough. I find the Cape to be overrated. The beaches are nice there, but when you aren't right on the water at the cape I find it pretty dull.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:17 AM

12,848 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Rhode Island beaches are a great suggestion. Gorgeous, under the radar, and more affordable. I'd add Little Compton to the list of places to look. Many people are also unaware that the "Newport Beaches" are actually in Middletown. Look for something close to Second or Third Beach and you will be pretty happy. There's also nothing like Thames Street in Newport for an adult evening out. Block Island is a heck of a value too, compared to MV and Nantucket.

I knew I'd eventually see Old Orchard Beach suggested. I know a lot of people like it, but I don't think it's what the OP is looking for considering that they weren't thrilled with Hampton Beach. Old Orchard is just a smaller version of Hampton. I lived in OOB for a year in college (actually, Ocean Park). Without getting too much into it, the crowd is mostly a combination of bikers, angsty local teens, white trash and Quebecois. The buildings are ugly (many resembling 3 deckers on the beach) and the streets are lined with kitsch $2 tee shirt places, rickety old amusement park rides (funtown/splashtown a few miles away is a much better option for rides and slides), sleezy bars and greasy french fry and pizza joints. Add to that that Amtrak and freight rail use the tracks running through the center of town so if you stay near the beach and the drunk folks from the bar don't keep you up, the multiple 3am train whistles will.

Maine's got hundreds of miles of BEAUTIFUL coastline. Every single one of those miles is far more attractive than Old Orchard Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts