Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 12:41 AM

341 posts, read 672,560 times

Advertisements

I know that there is a lot of info already. I have a budget of how much I can spend on a house, I am coming back to MA from Calif. I want to possibly live in small town, but would like nice town center, walking parks etc.
We have recently got a ton of info from Worcester Chamber of Comm......I have lived in several communities around Boston but am not familiar with Worcester area,,,,,other than being told it has it's bad sections.........
Please recommend: Auburn, Spencer, Brookfield (N,W,East), Dudley,,,other towns West or South of Worcester...........
I just happened to look at Southbridge,,,,then I read all the negatives about this town on this site..., because I cannot spend more than $250,000 on a house....
I realize that all communities EAST (the Boston side of Worcester) are quite a bit more expensive...........just navigating Cuz I lived on the north shore....
Children are out of school, son wants to go to college in MA,,,,,but I know that a bad school system is an indicator to the community.
So,,,,the issue, affordable home,,,,,but nice community,,,,,
Someone said on this board couple of months ago....West Brookfield was quintessential New England town.....guess that sounds good.
Strangely, as I have gone on google maps and followed the arrows down the streets of some of these communities.....they all looked quite nice and clean to me....
Thanks for the info.........I am just wanting to get back to New England,,,,cannot stand Calif....to each his own I guess,,,,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 05:44 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,262,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsodie2014 View Post
I know that there is a lot of info already. I have a budget of how much I can spend on a house, I am coming back to MA from Calif. I want to possibly live in small town, but would like nice town center, walking parks etc.
We have recently got a ton of info from Worcester Chamber of Comm......I have lived in several communities around Boston but am not familiar with Worcester area,,,,,other than being told it has it's bad sections.........
Please recommend: Auburn, Spencer, Brookfield (N,W,East), Dudley,,,other towns West or South of Worcester...........
I just happened to look at Southbridge,,,,then I read all the negatives about this town on this site..., because I cannot spend more than $250,000 on a house....
I realize that all communities EAST (the Boston side of Worcester) are quite a bit more expensive...........just navigating Cuz I lived on the north shore....
Children are out of school, son wants to go to college in MA,,,,,but I know that a bad school system is an indicator to the community.
So,,,,the issue, affordable home,,,,,but nice community,,,,,
Someone said on this board couple of months ago....West Brookfield was quintessential New England town.....guess that sounds good.
Strangely, as I have gone on google maps and followed the arrows down the streets of some of these communities.....they all looked quite nice and clean to me....
Thanks for the info.........I am just wanting to get back to New England,,,,cannot stand Calif....to each his own I guess,,,,
Based on yout budget, you would be best to go west of Worcester. If you have lived in CA, the traffic on Route 9 won't be a big deal for you. You're right. W Brookfield will be a great choice. It's just isolated enough, but it's still close to Sturbridge. N Brookfield is actually the largest of the Brookfields, but it's not on the Rt 9 corrider.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:20 AM

925 posts, read 2,743,970 times
Would Sturbridge be too far for you? It's a lovely community.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:45 AM

23 posts, read 51,727 times
I recently moved to Auburn and I like it alot. It's quiet but there's also shopping, and, of course, Ronnie's (seafood place, yum!) I live in a beautiful neighborhood with trees in my backyard and spent less than $250K. It's also nice to have easy access to many major routes (20, 290, the Pike). My neighbors have all been very friendly. About 50 minutes to be parked in Boston, about 10 to get to Hanover Theatre in Worcester, less than an hour to Providence, 2 hours from Portland, ME. Really can't complain at all!

Old 04-18-2011, 11:34 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,807,293 times
I second Auburn. Oxford is nice too. The Brookfields are nice but it a pain to get there. Auburn and Oxford are right along 290 and the Pike so Worcester and Boston are very easily accessible. Sturbridge is too pricey but Charlton is nice also.

Stay away from Southbridge and Webster (and some little parts of Dudley).

Old 04-18-2011, 11:49 AM

341 posts, read 672,560 times
Thank you for your replies,,,,I will be bringing a 82 yr old (my Mom) to live with me,,,,,I think for the elder facilities better to be closer to Worcester...my only regrets is that we did not come back there sooner.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:07 PM

3 posts, read 11,191 times
look at auburn or millbury...spencer/ brookfields....are in the sticks. ( sorry if you live there). you want to be somewhat close to worcester hospitals.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:29 AM

36 posts, read 125,209 times
You might also consider East Brookfield, which is only 3 towns west of Worcester (about a 25 minute drive to downtown). It is only 10 minutes to Sturbridge, 20 minutes to Harrington Hospital in Southbridge, and much more affordable than Auburn or Millbury (sorry if you live there). Spencer is one town closer to Worcester and slightly cheaper, but the quality of life around the downtown area is not so good (and also where the more affordable places are).

Old 04-23-2011, 07:57 AM

925 posts, read 2,743,970 times
Are you looking for elder day care or more in-depth care? If you're just looking for the former, there's a lovely place in Marlboro. It's in a nice spacious home instead of a "facility". I met the owner there not long ago & was surprised how nice it was. It's called Pleasantries Adult Day Center.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:22 PM

13 posts, read 30,483 times
If you are looking for a smaller house (that's probably what you'd get in the $250k range) in a quiet town only minutes to Worcester, check out Sterling! Most houses have at least 1/2 acre lots (due to septic), it is a cute, quiet town with easy highway access to 190, 290, Rte.2...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts