Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 08:35 PM

13 posts, read 41,452 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I currently live in CT. I'm moving to Medford for my new job in Boston (close to Silver Line Way station.) My new place is very close to I-93 and I'm trying to figure out the best way to commute to work. I think I have three options.

1. Take a bus to Sullivan Square Station (the orange line), switch to the Red line at Downtown Crossing, switch to the Silver line at South Station. Get off at Silver Line Way and then walk to my office.

2. Take I-93 and drive to work. Park close to the office.

3. Drive and park close to Porter Square. Take the Red line and switch to the Sliver line at South Station. Get off at Silver Line Way and then walk to my office.

I want to minimize my commute time. What is the traffic like in the morning on I-93? I've found parking both close to my office and close to the Porter Square. I'm not sure which option may work out better.

I'd appreciate any advice you guys may have for me. Thank you!!

Jessie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 10:22 AM

38 posts, read 69,058 times
real simple.

Take the T.

You cant just drive into boston and expect to park somewhere, unless of course there is a garage where your will prob pay upwards of 30$ per day.

Neighborhoods around this area have 2 hour parking and residential to prevent people from getting a break.. and trust me, they enforce it.

If your working normal hours expect a hour to commute from Medford to Boston even though it seems close.

T is much quicker if
1. you dont mind public trans (which is packed at that time of day)
2. you may want to park in a T lot at wellington station for 5$ and then get on the train. this is sometimes full if you get there late.
3. if you can jump on a bus to a train, this is your best option

However,
I live in everett, right next to Medford and its amazing how congested the area is during peak commuting times.

Frankly, its a reason I'd hate to work in town and want to move away from here.

The T has its drawbacks and may take some getting use to.
To me, theres nothing like getting in your car at the end of the day and heading home.
Getting on trains and buses, especially in the winter, is sometimes stressful but your best option.

unless there's delays!

best of luck

Old 04-20-2011, 10:59 AM

387 posts, read 915,857 times
It would help to know where you'll be in Medford since the transit options are very different in different sections.

To address the scenarios you gave:

1. Bus to Orange line, to Red line, to Silver line: As a general rule (going anywhere in the Boston area, or anywhere else for that matter), you don't want to take more than 2 forms of transit. For example, a bus to train can be fine, as is commuter rail to train. Any more transfers than that, and you're really padding your commute with waiting. Is your office walkable from South Station? Map it out and see.

Also, depending on where you are, you may be able to take the 96 bus straight into Davis Square and change for the Red line there.

2. Take I-93 and park: Talk to your company about parking options, monthly stipend, etc. Paying on your own, this could get expensive. However, this is the fastest and easiest option otherwise. If you can wait to leave until 8 a.m., you'll be able to avoid a lot of traffic. Also, you'll learn a few side routes in time, which can save you from unexpected snarls.

3. Drive and park close to Porter Square: Where are you planning to park in Porter? If you use the shopping center parking lot, you're likely to be ticketed and/or towed. Also, I live right on the Somerville/Medford line, and driving to Porter in the morning would be almost as much effort as driving in to Boston. If you live farther out, don't even consider this option.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:47 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp8621 View Post
real simple.

Take the T.

You cant just drive into boston and expect to park somewhere, unless of course there is a garage where your will prob pay upwards of 30$ per day.
Well, no. There are plenty of lots in the Seaport area for $10/11 per day.

Not saying you should drive but it's not $30 per day to park in that particular area.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:18 PM

114 posts, read 323,212 times
the mbta website has a really good trip planner tool.

a lot depends on where you will be living in Medford.

aside from just driving in, my first instinct is that you would either drive to Wellington and park there, and take the Orange line, or drive to Alewife, and park there, and take the red line.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:20 PM

Thank you guys for your feedback/advice!!

I live close to Exit 31 on I-93. There is monthly parking available close to work for $235/month. It's expensive but an okay price to pay if driving to work could save me commute time. I can wait until 8 am to go to work. If I leave a little after 8 am, will I be able to get to the office (on Congress Street) by 8:45 am? I've heard horrible things about the traffic to Boston during rush hours and that's why I'm also looking into taking T.

My office is about 20 minutes walking distance from South Station. I may walk directly to my office when the weather is good. It can be hard during winter so that means I'll need to take Orange, then Red, and then Silver.

Thanks for the advice about driving to Porter Square. I thought about renting a parking space (an ad on craigslist) close to Porter Square but I won't pursue this option now.

Any other suggestions and insights? Thank you!

Old 04-20-2011, 02:55 PM

387 posts, read 915,857 times
Before you commit to the monthly parking, at least give your other method a shot. (Obviously, the parking cost doesn't include your gas, car maintenance, insurance, etc., vs the T is a pretty straightforward expense.)

That said, I'd be surprised if driving doesn't save you upwards of 5 hours+ commuting time a week, which might be worth it for quality of life. If you take the T, you're looking at a minimum of an hour each way, not including walking time. While driving can be frustrating, counting on 3-4 forms of public transit to function properly and on time each day is likely to give you headaches.

I think you should be fine getting in by 8:45 if you drive, but you should do a test run to be sure. It's amazing how different the drive is if you adjust a tiny bit outside the usual rush hour range.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:04 PM

3,685 posts, read 7,422,687 times
I would drive. If you leave your house in Medford at 7:15 AM, I bet you would be at your desk at 8:00. Leaving work at 4:30ish you will be home in under 30 minutes most days.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:39 PM

I live at Main St. and Medford St. in Medford. If my spouse can drop me off at Sullivan Station or Porter Square or Davis Square, which do you think is my best option?

Old 04-20-2011, 07:10 PM

38 posts, read 69,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj803 View Post
I live at Main St. and Medford St. in Medford. If my spouse can drop me off at Sullivan Station or Porter Square or Davis Square, which do you think is my best option?

i would go to porter and take the redline to the silver line.

as a previous poster put it, the less transfers you do the more sane you shall stay.

Redline IMO is a nicer train, bigger and cleaner.. a nicer ride into boston over the Charles river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts