Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 10:14 AM

15 posts, read 39,527 times

Advertisements

I'm a single, 20-some, female... i'm going to be starting a new job in Framingham the beginning of July. I'm hoping to live in an area where there are other young people (doesn't have to be Boston itself, either) and with a reasonable commute to work. Any suggestions? In terms of my budget, i'm flexible, but I definitely don't want to spend my entire paycheck on rent.

Are there areas between Framingham and Boston that offer good outdoor activities, etc?

Also, how long does the commuter rail take from Boston to Framingham?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 10:56 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,383 times
I am not sure if the commuter rail for a reverse commute is the best thing, considering the infrequency of the trains to and from. But you will have judge that on your own. I know that the Worcester/Framingham line has an above average share of "problems" and delays, so keep that in mind.

Putting that aside, would you consider living in Newton/Brighton near Boston College? That is a pretty young area and nice. Plus, rents are not the steep prices you get in Cambridge/Somerville/Boston (though some places can still get pricey). You would be near the commuter rail and also have access to the Green Line to go into Fenway or even all the way to downtown Boston. If you decided to commute via car, it would be a piece of cake to jump on I-90 and commute to Framingham.

You could also look around Allston, but then it gets much more congested, much harder to park (do you have a car?), and rents can increase. Plus, that is DEFINITELY college student central... which can be good or bad.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:08 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
The train won't work if you don't work right near the Framingham station. Many jobs in F'ham are a couple of miles or more from the train. The schedule's also tilted toward people commuting in to Boston, so there are more trains coming from F'ham in the morning than going to it. That said, it's about 45 mins from Boston, plus time getting to and from. You might be better off driving.

One place to look is Brighton. It's a neighborhood of the city of Bosotn that juts out to the west. You can get the Mass Pike at Exit 17 and it's about 15-20 mins to Exit 13 at the Natick/Framingham line, where many offices are located.

Brighton is much cheaper than the more central neighborhoods of Boston proper. You might want to look in "Brighton Center" or "Oak Square." Those areas have 20-somethings and decent nightlife/restaurants, but they're not overrun with college students. East of Market St, nearer to Allston, as well as along Commonwealth Av and near Cleveland Circle, has too many undergrads and crappy student apartments.

Newton's just west of Brighton. Newton's got a number of different neighborhoods with small downtowns, but not a ton of nightlife. It's more suburban and far fewer 20-somethings, but it's safe and clean and convenient. Parts are very upscale but there are affordable rentals too. I know, I live in one. The Green Line subway to Boston makes a number of stops across Newton.

Waltham, north of Newton, has more nightlife in the area near Moody St and Waltham's common. That area's more urban and has more 20-somethings, though many of them have always lived in Waltham. Brighton's got more people from all over.

Outdoor activities: there's a bike/running path along the Charles River from Boston out toward Waltham. You can rent kayaks on the river in Brighton or Newton. There's also kayaking at Lake Cochituate in Natick, which is in a state park. Callahan State Park in northern Framingham has hiking and mountain bike trails. In winter you can go cross-country skiing near Boston and downhill within an hour or two. There are numerous skating rinks too.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:45 PM

420 posts, read 1,368,528 times
I work in framingham and commute via car. I've lived in Brookline and Newton while working here. Brookline was the perfect place to live IMO, Safe, many young professionals. I mean, you're still in the city. But... rent is a bit pricey (although idk what your budget is)

Newton could be much harder to find a place on the T, and is a bit more suburban but still many places to go(depending on where you are in newton). Also a bit more affordable... but, without really knowing your price point its tough to suggest either

one big suggestion is, if you're going to work in framingham make sure you have a car... chances are your job wont be walkable from the train...

Old 04-26-2011, 05:52 PM

15 posts, read 39,527 times
I would ideally try and find a roommate, so that would cut some costs down. I'm looking to spend no more than $1000 per month - obviously the lower the better.

How high can the toll get commuting back and forth between the Boston area and Framingham?

Old 04-26-2011, 07:05 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Toll calculator: MassDOT Highway Division: Toll Information

This would give you an idea, but depending upon where you work you might use the exits at Natick or Westborough.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqelroa View Post
I would ideally try and find a roommate, so that would cut some costs down. I'm looking to spend no more than $1000 per month - obviously the lower the better.

How high can the toll get commuting back and forth between the Boston area and Framingham?
Both Newton and brookline are options. Also, I take route 9 back and forth to avoid tolls... If you have the option to go in from 8:00-4:30 or even 8:30, the traffic isnt bad at all... Takes around 25-35 mins depending on where you work.

I would highly suggest Brookline, Brighton or Newton. Right now me and the Fiancee have a 2 bedroom in newton for 1500, we were paying 1750 in brookline(with a parking spot). If you have a chance take a look at the areas, but I think this would be your best bet. Still get the city life, and have a reverse commute, so traffic isnt a huge issue.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:24 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
Since you are traveling in reverse direction, traffic would be easy for you. For sure you won't find much at $1000 without sharing. Even a 1 bedroom in Fram (a cheaper town) is going for >$1000. Also, when choosing an apt., check if heat is included as that can add $200+ per month in the winter. Some apts include heat & hot water, some not.

I can't say which of the following is the best location for you, but you should be able to avoid I-90 aka Mass Pike (toll road). However, with the skyhigh gas price, you might as well drive the most direct route and avoid the lights if Mass Pike is indeed the best way - it'd probably come out the same:
- For Waltham, take Route 16.
- For Newton, take Route 9.
- For Brookline / Allston / Brighton, take Route 30.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Since you are traveling in reverse direction, traffic would be easy for you. For sure you won't find much at $1000 without sharing. Even a 1 bedroom in Fram (a cheaper town) is going for >$1000. Also, when choosing an apt., check if heat is included as that can add $200+ per month in the winter. Some apts include heat & hot water, some not.

I can't say which of the following is the best location for you, but you should be able to avoid I-90 aka Mass Pike (toll road). However, with the skyhigh gas price, you might as well drive the most direct route and avoid the lights if Mass Pike is indeed the best way - it'd probably come out the same:
- For Waltham, take Route 16.
- For Newton, take Route 9.
- For Brookline / Allston / Brighton, take Route 30.
I would actually advise against route 30, it becomes 1 lane for a while and can get frustrating if you're stuck behind a slow driver, but thats personal preference. Route 30 would be my most direct route right now, but I take 16 to 9 instead.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:00 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwyre237 View Post
I would actually advise against route 30, it becomes 1 lane for a while and can get frustrating if you're stuck behind a slow driver, but thats personal preference. Route 30 would be my most direct route right now, but I take 16 to 9 instead.
You're absolutely right about Rt 30. It is horrid whenever I get behind 1 slow car. Plus there could be backups at the I-95 stoplights.

For Waltham, there is a correction. Depending which part of town you're coming from and going to, it could be a combination of these:
Rt 20 then connect with 30,
Rt 30,
Rt 16 then to Rt 9.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts