Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 01:10 PM

422 posts, read 1,475,453 times

Advertisements

It's such a pain to try to find a primary care physician as many doctors in my area are no longer accepting new patients.

anyone knows of any walk-in clinics that we can go to for minor illnesses like flu/fever in any of the following areas??:

- marion/mattapoisett/rochester
- fairhaven
- dartmouth
- new bedford
- wareham
- buzzards bay
- bourne
- sandwich
- plymouth
- carver

thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 02:18 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,356,930 times
Did you look into CVS Minute Clinics? I know there is one in Plymouth at exit 6 or 7 (Standish Street). Quick and easy and they take all major insurance carriers. I'm not sure where others are located but there are none on Cape -what I was told was CC Hospital makes the majority of it's revenue in summer when tourists have no choice so they have blocked the opening of any on Cape.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
Did you look into CVS Minute Clinics? I know there is one in Plymouth at exit 6 or 7 (Standish Street). Quick and easy and they take all major insurance carriers. I'm not sure where others are located but there are none on Cape -what I was told was CC Hospital makes the majority of it's revenue in summer when tourists have no choice so they have blocked the opening of any on Cape.
hey thanks beachcomber. i did check CVS minute clinic but the only one that popped up was in cambridge MA. i didn't realise there's one in plymouth. will go google it.

coming from a country where I can just walk into any clinic to seek treatment regardless of whether or not i have any insurance coverage....the regulations here are really giving me a lot of headaches i have been self medicating for the past years everytime i'm down with flu/fever.

right now...i'm actually on a very good insurance plan that i'm paying big bucks for...but i can't even find a doctor to go to. this is ridiculous!!!

Old 05-02-2011, 03:10 PM

hey found that the nearest CVS minute clinics that are closest to me are in fall river (32min drive) & plymouth (36min drive). there are clinics in bridgewater and taunton too but slightly further...but i guess i can get there too if i need to if it's just flu/fever. and CVS accepts my insurer! yeay!

anyone else who knows of any other walk-in clinics or good doctors who are still accepting new patients....please do share with me.

thanks a million!!!!

Old 05-03-2011, 10:24 AM

137 posts, read 239,460 times
Are any of these close enough to you?

LocalTel » Find Walk-In Clinics in Massachusetts

Old 05-03-2011, 10:35 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
A hint to using those clinics---they won't accept medicare.

If you're on medicare, you can't pay the difference, you can't pay the full amount. Per medicare guidlines, they can't charge you the difference, so they don't charge/treat you at all. I saw a lady be turned away because she was on medicare. She was told to go to the ER, which accepts medicare, but takes forever.

If you opt to go to a minor ER clinic and are on medicare, just don't say so. Say you're private pay, pay with cash or credit card, if they ask for your ssn, don't put it down, leave it blank, chances are they won't notice it if not filing insurance, anyways.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:17 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
A hint to using those clinics---they won't accept medicare.

If you're on medicare, you can't pay the difference, you can't pay the full amount. Per medicare guidlines, they can't charge you the difference, so they don't charge/treat you at all. I saw a lady be turned away because she was on medicare. She was told to go to the ER, which accepts medicare, but takes forever.

If you opt to go to a minor ER clinic and are on medicare, just don't say so. Say you're private pay, pay with cash or credit card, if they ask for your ssn, don't put it down, leave it blank, chances are they won't notice it if not filing insurance, anyways.
this is my post, I just thought to update it!

Like I stated, be careful if you are on Medicare

Old 06-17-2013, 10:52 AM

613 posts, read 944,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatturkey View Post
coming from a country where I can just walk into any clinic to seek treatment regardless of whether or not i have any insurance coverage....the regulations here are really giving me a lot of headaches i have been self medicating for the past years everytime i'm down with flu/fever.

right now...i'm actually on a very good insurance plan that i'm paying big bucks for...but i can't even find a doctor to go to. this is ridiculous!!!
Yeah, welcome to America, Dude..... (I'm stopping myself now from going into a rant about the American health-care (or lack there-of), system).

There is a great Consumer Reports survey, July 2012, with ratings of medical practices all over Mass. They even have a section for Bristol County, & another for "Cape & Islands". If you can find a good medical practice anywhere near you, almost all of them will see sick patients, same day, if you call them. (Weekdays usually, week-ends are another matter).

You might need to keep doing more research to find a medical practice, & Dr. you can tolerate. The minute-clinics, it's great that those are an option, but I'd suggest you try to find a good Dr.'s office you can go to also.......

Old 06-17-2013, 01:08 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
CVS MinuteClinic does not do blood work of any kind, or even prescribe blood pressure pills -- at least as of a few years ago; they even told me that I had to go to a primary doctor for those. I guess it's set up as a rule to not infringe on the business of local doctors...just being grateful for an entry into the local medical market?

Old 06-17-2013, 01:28 PM

387 posts, read 916,204 times
Out of curiosity, I used my BlueCrossMA login to check primary care doctors in Dartmouth, and there were 47 family doctors accepting patients within 20 miles. You might want to check with your insurance again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts