Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 10:59 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietGal View Post
Hey brightdoglover, I laughed when I read "PC to absurdity". do you have examples of this? I'm not around folks who I would call politically correct. I find it interesting that a few poster have said this about Northampton.
Heh. Just anecdotally from people I knew who went to UMass and spent time out there. Northampton is the world capital for lesbian women, and I think a certain degree of PCness goes along with that (and I'm a feminist- but PCness gets old).
So I'm generalizing. But overly PC stuff, you know it when you see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 11:13 PM

46 posts, read 205,894 times
Hi Quiet Gal,

I guess when I say too PC, I mean people taking themselves too seriously. If we cant laugh at ourselves a bit, life is too heavy. I am liberal in my views, but think it can get carried away sometimes. I appreciate the open mindedness in Northampton, but wish people would be a bit less worried about a "who is more PC than thou" contest and rather put in their efforts to walking the talk more. It is a very lesbian/gay town, and sometimes that becomes a bit overbearing. I dont care what someone does in their private life, but sometimes it becomes just another ego-trip.

Overall though we like the town and the area and think it is definitely worth visiting to see for yourself.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:22 PM

18 posts, read 109,893 times
Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I'll be visiting the area soon. If anyone has more info about other towns (I started a new post yesterday) Shutesbury, Sunderland, Easthampton, S. Hadley, Belchertown, please let me know.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:52 PM

141 posts, read 227,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietGal View Post
Hey Cosmonewman,

Thanks for the info. By agggressive do you mean that a lot of pedestrians walk across the street when they don't have the light?

Pedestrians always have the right of way in Northampton. Nobody waits for a light except for at the major intersections where they have no choice. It is kind of hard to explain if you haven't experienced it but they expect you to stop if they enter the crosswalk. When they do that you are supposed to stop no matter what. It is supposedly a state law but I have never seen it enforced anywhere else.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:30 PM

739 posts, read 2,185,524 times
Amherst is one of the most disabled friendly towns anywhere. It is a student town and you would be competing with them for housing but disabled people are treated with respect and dignity in Amherst, by and large.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:02 PM

16 posts, read 101,461 times
Default Living and working in Northampton

Hi,

I am considering moving to Northampton in the next 6 months. Does anyone know what the housing options are? I am a Speech Pathologist and a Family Therapist. Are there many jobs in those 2 fields? Is the lesbian community pretty diverse(accepting of all colors of lesbians)? Thanks

Old 01-17-2008, 02:44 PM

746 posts, read 3,498,642 times
Well, I'll venture a guess. Northampton has a large Lesbian population which is welcomed and adds another kind of diversity to the area, and perhaps some think this welcome is just a bit too P.C.

Seeing as there are at least a few thousand such folks there, it is a phenomenon, and you can google Northampton and diversity or lesbians and learn quite a bit that has not been mentioned in this thread, other than in "code".

At least until now.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:11 PM

739 posts, read 2,185,524 times
If you're black and disabled, you won't find Northampton to be too overly PC. You might find it relatively safe for you and more welcoming than other towns around it, I dunno, maybe like Easthampton, Hatfield, Greenfield, Franklin County.

A black person and a white person, or a disabled person, can look at the same situation and see it in polar opposites. Litlux is right about "code" and it doesn't help you if people say things that then get deleted.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,691 times
Thumbs up Beverly...My Kind of Town!

Hi!
~GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!~

If I had my own way, I'd be hailing from the wonderful city of Beverly instead of the beautiful, but isolated, Magnolia neighborhood of Gloucester where we lovebirds now reside. I am still working on my most patient and sweet husband to sell and move to Beverly...NOT Hills, that is...no Texas tea here... Beverly Farms, Montserrat, Prides Crossing, well ...gimme ANY neighborhood in Beverly, I'll go there!

Why I love Beverly, is that it has everything a reasonably civilized person (lets me out...;^0) can want and need here, and if you cannot find it here, it is a short ride to where you CAN find it! The houses are reasonably priced, job market is brisk!

Home prices can range from $37,800 for a condo to $8,900,000 for ocean front property!

Everything from a tattoo parlor to Broadway shows can be found here!

John Martin Field at the Beverly Airport is a

The MBTA commuter rail has several stops here from two different lines that whisk you to Beantown's (Boston) North Station in around a half an hour.

Hope to see you there soon!

Kind regards,
The Midnight Lydy

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

More info:

Founded in 1626, the City of Beverly is one of the oldest communities in the state. Residents describe their city as the birthplace of the United States Navy, noting that the first ship commissioned by the Navy first sailed from Beverly Harbor. Although the city was the location of the first cotton mill and the first Sunday school in the country, and has one of its neighborhoods, the Fish Flake District, on the National Register of Historic sites, it is the present and future rather than the past which engross the energies of the community.

Beverly residents have watched an interesting shift over the past 50 years, as the city changed from an industrial site with huge manufacturers like the United Shoe Machine Corporation, to a bedroom community that is 85% residential and emphasizes its academic and cultural facilities more than the industrial parks that house mixed computer and other high technology firms. The city is the home of private Endicott College, and a campus of the public North Shore Community College as well as the site of the North Shore Music Theatre which brings in hordes of visitors to glittering Broadway-type productions. Intact in Beverly is the spacious echo of the past since the city is still the home of some of the most historic families in America on gracious estates in the northern portion of the community.

Residents note the first-rate hospital, the miles of beautiful beach, and the diverse sections of the community that offer everything from rural to urban lifestyles in saying that the city offers everything that anyone could want in a home town.

Northeastern Massachusetts, bordered by Danvers on the west, Wenham on the north and east, Wenham and Manchester on the east, and Beverly Harbor and the Danvers River on the south. Beverly is 7 miles north of Lynn; 18 miles north of Boston; 88 miles south of Portland, Maine; and 238 miles from New York City.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++
Beverly is a city in Essex County, Massachusetts, United States. It is part of Boston's North Shore. The population was 39,862 at the 2000 census. A resort, residential and manufacturing community, Beverly includes Beverly Farms and Prides Crossing. Beverly is located on the North Shore and is home to Endicott College and Montserrat College of Art.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
History

Originally part of Salem and the Naumkeag Territory, the area was first settled in 1626 by Roger Conant. But because of religious differences with Governor John Endicott Beverly would be set off and officially incorporated in 1668, when it was named after Beaver Lake in England . Surviving from the settlement's early history is the Balch House[, built about 1636, one of the two oldest wood-frame houses in the United States.

The first ship commissioned by the United States military (actually the US Army, as the US Navy did not yet exist), was the armed schooner Hannah. It was outfitted at Glover's Wharf, and first sailed from Beverly Harbor on September 2, 1775. For this reason Beverly describes itself as the "Birthplace of America's Navy"—a claim disputed by other towns, including nearby Marblehead. The Hannah can be found on the patch of the city's police department. Beverly is also the site of the first cotton mill in 1787, as well as one of the first Sunday schools in the country - in 1810 Beverly would be incorporated as a city in 1894.

In 1902, the United Shoe Machinery Corporation built at Beverly a quarter-mile stretch of factory buildings, which in 1906 went into production. Closed in 1987, the complex was bought by Cummings Properties in 1996, and developed into a campus of hi-tech companies and medical offices. Cherry Hill Industrial Park, straddling the boundary with Danvers, is home to many businesses and offices. Parker Brothers, makers of Monopoly and other games, has offices in Beverly. Beverly is also home to the Landmark School, which is known world-wide for the education it provides to learning disabled students.

President William Howard Taft maintained a summer home in Beverly; in the summers of 1909 and 1910 he lived in a house located at what is now the site of the Rose Garden in Lynch Park, Beverly's largest public park.

Beverly has a former Nike missile site on L.P. Henderson rd. right near the Beverly Municipal Airport. This site was in operation from March of 1957 until August of 1959 when it was handed over to the National Guard by the army. It is now being used by Beverly as a storage site and is under the scrutiny of many environmental organizations as it and the surrounding areas such as Casco Chemical have polluted the ground water which could be potentially hazardous to the nearby Wenham lake water supply.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

Geography

Beverly is located at 42°33′40″N 70°52′33″W (42.560995, -70.875702) less than twenty miles north of Boston.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 58.9 km² (22.7 mi²). 43.0 km² (16.6 mi²) of it is land and 15.9 km² (6.1 mi²) of it (27.00%) is water. Situated beside Massachusetts Bay and the Atlantic Ocean, Beverly is drained by the Danvers River.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

Demographics

As of the census 2000, there are 39,862 people, 15,750 households, and 9,906 families residing in the city. The population density is 927.2/km² (2,401.4/mi²). There are 16,275 housing units at an average density of 378.5/km² (980.5/mi²). The racial makeup of the city is 85.97% White, 5.04% African American, 0.18% Native American, 1.28% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.52% from other races, and 0.98% from two or more races. 6.81% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race. There are 15,750 households out of which 28.8% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.1% are married couples living together, 9.7% have a female householder with no husband present, and 37.1% are non-families. 29.9% of all households are made up of individuals and 11.4% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.39 and the average family size is 3.02.

In the city the population is spread out with 21.7% under the age of 18, 9.0% from 18 to 24, 30.9% from 25 to 44, 22.8% from 45 to 64, and 15.6% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 38 years. For every 100 females there are 89.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 85.3 males.

The median income for a household in the city is $53,984, and the median income for a family is $66,486. Males have a median income of $45,348 versus $35,659 for females. The per capita income for the city is $28,626. 5.7% of the population and 4.0% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 6.5% of those under the age of 18 and 5.2% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

Points of interest

John Balch House (c. 1636)
John Cabot House (c. 1781
John Hale House (c. 1694)

The North Shore Music Theatre offers a program of musicals and celebrity concerts. The North Shore Music Theatre is also the home of one of New England's largest non-profit music theater education departments.

The Cabot St. Cinema Theatre boasts the world's longest running magician's show. Marco the Magi and Le Grand David are two characters prominent in the show. The theater itself is early 20th century style, and also shows films on a regular basis. Lynch Park Beach, located in the Cove section, is a popular summer spot for swimmer, kayakers, sun bathers, and picnics.

Beverly Airport

[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva][SIZE=-1]Beverly Municipal Airport is classified as a general utility, general aviation/reliever airport. This means it can accommodate all small aircraft and larger corporate type aircraft. Its designation as reliever means it is available to relieve Logan International Airport of small general aviation type aircraft during Logan's peak traffic times.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

'nuff said...Shalom!

Last edited by Midnight_Lydy; 01-19-2008 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: URL's not posting correctly

Old 07-19-2008, 06:20 AM

13 posts, read 79,567 times
Default northampton, Pioneer Valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by logie13 View Post
Hi,

I am considering moving to Northampton in the next 6 months. Does anyone know what the housing options are? I am a Speech Pathologist and a Family Therapist. Are there many jobs in those 2 fields? Is the lesbian community pretty diverse(accepting of all colors of lesbians)? Thanks
We moved from the philly area (25+ years) to the Pioneer valley...about 4 years ago. We absolutely love it....all types of people! Nature is very near (hiking, farms, etc.)...

As far as "which town", that depends on who you are...single, married, family, etc. - we chose to live in Southampton and Hadley (two brothers).... Many of the townships are pretty large - southampton can be 3 minutes from the center of Easthampton, for instance....or, all the way down near the Holyoke mall (north of Barnes Field Airport).

If you are single, I would suggest Northampton and the close in cities - florence, leeds, easthampton..... this will allow you access to the downtowns easily, usually by walking or bike path/short drives.

As far as Hadley, etc....some really nice areas. But keep in mind it is on the "other" side of the river - there is only one bridge and a few roads leading to it, and traffic can get heavy coming and going during the school year. In general, many folks stay on one side of the river or the other.

In short, I think the Valley can be one of the best places to live in the US.....but you have to choose your situation. Are you a city mouse or country mouse, etc?

As far as "too PC", that could come into play if you want to live in N'hampton and be involved in local politics, etc.....you will have to deal with the existing infrastructure. Of course, the outlying towns have good ole boy networks, so take your pick! Best course of action may be to forget local politics and just live...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts