Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 01:41 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,964,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzone View Post
If I did own an oil company, it is no benefit to me. NewEnglandGirl is too far away.

I am doing a research myself too. I've just bought a house with an ancient oil boiler and I am looking to replace it. Initial thought without doing any research, I was like going gas all the way. After doing some research, I'm kind of having a change of heart. Buderus GB125BE oil boiler is the top of my list if I'm staying with oil. Triangle Tube Prestige Gas Boiler is the top of my list if I'm going gas. The thing with conversion is the cost of installing gas line.
How does Triangular Tube Prestige boiler compare with Ruud (Rheem) or Trane? Do you have any stats on this? What rate of efficiency is TTP? (Ruud I think is 96%).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmass View Post
We have a Rheem 92.8%, it is pretty quiet; I have no complaints. Hodge City Mechanical was the installer; they seem reasonable and were the lower of two quotes.

It could be costly to remove the oil tank if you do it "by the book". Technically, I think you need to remove it and require a permit from the fire dept. However, no one will ever know if you just leave it there (until you want to sell the house). We paid a guy $200 to take away ours (w/o permit)
Did you always have gas or did you change over to gas? We probably live in the same general area and so get the same cold weather! I contacted Hodge and am getting info. I am really worried about oil prices this winter and future winters.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:43 AM

325 posts, read 924,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Did you always have gas or did you change over to gas? We probably live in the same general area and so get the same cold weather! I contacted Hodge and am getting info. I am really worried about oil prices this winter and future winters.
We already had a gas line for hot water and cooking, but had oil for heat. They could have converted the exisitng furnace to gas, but it just made sense to upgrade to a new higher efficiency gas furnace.

Everyone I know who has oil was really complaining about fuel prices this past winter.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmass View Post
We already had a gas line for hot water and cooking, but had oil for heat. They could have converted the exisitng furnace to gas, but it just made sense to upgrade to a new higher efficiency gas furnace.

Everyone I know who has oil was really complaining about fuel prices this past winter.
The question is, will natural gas prices keep pace with the cost of oil? Is there a graph anywhere that shows this?

Old 06-02-2011, 01:16 PM

220 posts, read 835,853 times
newenglandgirl,

How is the oil-to-gas conversion going? Have you started the process yet? Do you have any quote for the installation?

I'm going to convert to gas too. I want gas cooking stove; unbelievable, the other day it took 1-hr to boil water in large pot (electric stove). I've talked to National Grid. They said it costs $500 to run the gas line from the street to the gas meter (100-foot max). They offer Burnham boiler ranging $700-2700 in price. And $325 plus permit to haul away the oil tank. I need to find reputable plumbing & heating to do free estimate for the installation.

Last edited by nzone; 06-02-2011 at 01:25 PM..

Old 06-07-2011, 10:03 AM

3 posts, read 7,675 times
Default Just started this process too!

Good luck!

Called National Grid about putting in the line. I have an old line in the basement so checking up on whether that will work or not.

Had a plumber that NG recommended come out. He had a few ideas but the price may be out of my league - 12-13K or so before rebates and that depends on the efficiency (this quote if for 95%). A lower efficiency unit of 84-88% efficiency would be cheaper. I should have more accurate estimates in a few days. He was definitely pushing for the pricier option - no surprise. Looking for other plumbers in the South Shore area so if anyone has been through this and knows of any/has had a good experience, please let me know.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShomeowner View Post
Good luck!

Called National Grid about putting in the line. I have an old line in the basement so checking up on whether that will work or not.

Had a plumber that NG recommended come out. He had a few ideas but the price may be out of my league - 12-13K or so before rebates and that depends on the efficiency (this quote if for 95%). A lower efficiency unit of 84-88% efficiency would be cheaper. I should have more accurate estimates in a few days. He was definitely pushing for the pricier option - no surprise. Looking for other plumbers in the South Shore area so if anyone has been through this and knows of any/has had a good experience, please let me know.
$12-13K; that's just crazy. Trying to rip you off or something.

I have talked to NG, they said installing the gas line from the street to the house will cost me $500 (up to 100 feet). Oil tanker removal is $325. The highest efficiency boiler offer under NG program is Burnham Alpine (95%). The cost of this boiler is $2600-ish for the biggest model (tax included). There is also a $1000 rebate. There is no way the installation cost $10000. Even if you relocate the boiler, the installation shouldn't be approach that number.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
$12-13K; that's just crazy. Trying to rip you off or something.

I have talked to NG, they said installing the gas line from the street to the house will cost me $500 (up to 100 feet). Oil tanker removal is $325. The highest efficiency boiler offer under NG program is Burnham Alpine (95%). The cost of this boiler is $2600-ish for the biggest model (tax included). There is also a $1000 rebate. There is no way the installation cost $10000. Even if you relocate the boiler, the installation shouldn't be approach that number.
Thanks. This includes a relocation, venting outside, and an indirect water heater tank (do not have one currently). But still, I thought it was a little high so good to know that as I look for other estimates. I can't do anything even close to 10K really.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShomeowner View Post
Thanks. This includes a relocation, venting outside, and an indirect water heater tank (do not have one currently). But still, I thought it was a little high so good to know that as I look for other estimates. I can't do anything even close to 10K really.
Have you looked into "mass save" ? They have rebate(s) and 0% interest loan program. I need to do this myself, too!

The condensing boiler needs venting, 3" exhaust and 3" intake. There is also a drain pipe to dump the condensing water (similar to AC). Adding an indirect water heater might perhaps jump the installation cost. Have you considered a tankless water heater (Rinnai seems to be good)? There is no need for the boiler to maintain 'water in the tank' temperature (120 deg).

We'll see the heating & plumbing came up with the quote. He said I should get it by tomorrow.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Have you looked into "mass save" ? They have rebate(s) and 0% interest loan program. I need to do this myself, too!

The condensing boiler needs venting, 3" exhaust and 3" intake. There is also a drain pipe to dump the condensing water (similar to AC). Adding an indirect water heater might perhaps jump the installation cost. Have you considered a tankless water heater (Rinnai seems to be good)? There is no need for the boiler to maintain 'water in the tank' temperature (120 deg).

We'll see the heating & plumbing came up with the quote. He said I should get it by tomorrow.
Good luck with the quote. If you don't mind sharing, I'd love to see how it breaks down.

To get the 0% loan, you have to do the energy audit and have certain energy saving measures in place. I will do the audit to see what happens. Why not.

I have the tankless right now with more oil boiler. Its ok. I've read that a good indirect can be more efficient than a tankless.
Energy Savers: Tankless Coil and Indirect Water Heaters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts