Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 02:56 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times

Advertisements

The continuing saga of Puffle, the home hunter. Get this, the guy that said we could have his place in Acton, would put our deposit in escrow just put the place on auction to the highest bidder starting at $650 to end Sunday! He has shown this place to tons of people, has had the ad listed for weeks and now has it up for auction. My husband has a bad feeling about it. I have seen pictures, talked to they guy many times, he has measured everything to make sure our stuff would fit and now he has to make sure that it is rented this weekend because he has a busy month. If we pass the mustard with references, etc. then he will stop the auction. What is up with that? You can see it on Craigslist for Acton for $650 today. I told me son that we have a place and was so excited. I am sorry for venting, but this has become my job. I am up at 8:30 every morning checking ads,calling places, talking to agents, until late at night. Even if we find a place, how do I know that it won't be rented out from under us before we fly out to see it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 03:10 PM

735 posts, read 3,501,796 times
So sorry to hear that Puff, but better to have this happen now that get involved with a sketchy landlord.

I still think if feasible you need to make a trip out east. It would probably be easier to find a place in person..

Old 08-02-2007, 07:28 PM

31 posts, read 205,168 times
Sorry to hear that you have hit another difficult patch, Puffle. For what it is worth, I've heard good things about the rentals at "The Legacy" in Arlington. It is right on Mass Ave, but I don't remember my friends ever finding noise an issue. They definitely accept dogs, I just don't know how they would feel about four dogs... here is a link I found for them in case it looks interesting: Boston Apartments - The Legacy at Arlington Center - Arlington, Massachusetts - Luxury Living Community (http://www.bostonapartments.com/legacy.htm - broken link)

Old 08-02-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katezli View Post
Sorry to hear that you have hit another difficult patch, Puffle. For what it is worth, I've heard good things about the rentals at "The Legacy" in Arlington. It is right on Mass Ave, but I don't remember my friends ever finding noise an issue. They definitely accept dogs, I just don't know how they would feel about four dogs... here is a link I found for them in case it looks interesting: Boston Apartments - The Legacy at Arlington Center - Arlington, Massachusetts - Luxury Living Community (http://www.bostonapartments.com/legacy.htm - broken link)
Thanks for the info. A guy that owns a home in Arlington told me there is a three dog limit there.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:55 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
Puffle, why don't you just all make the move out here and find a temporary place while you're looking? Arrange to board your dogs in CA (or here when you arrive). When we moved to the east coast 12 years ago, we had a place in Seattle board our dogs then take them to the airport when we were ready for them (i.e. found a house). We were in company paid housing before that and it was a small apartment that didn't take pets. If you board your dogs either there or here, you can rent a room at a residence inn type place or maybe a short term furnished apt. Then you can look in person.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Puffle, why don't you just all make the move out here and find a temporary place while you're looking? Arrange to board your dogs in CA (or here when you arrive). When we moved to the east coast 12 years ago, we had a place in Seattle board our dogs then take them to the airport when we were ready for them (i.e. found a house). We were in company paid housing before that and it was a small apartment that didn't take pets. If you board your dogs either there or here, you can rent a room at a residence inn type place or maybe a short term furnished apt. Then you can look in person.
We were thinking of having my husband go down..found a really cheap flight on priceline round trip for $65!!How do we go about setting things up.? While he is there or here just before he goes? When we just had two dogs living in an apartment was easy, but now......I'm just afraid that from the time I find something on line and my husband goes to see it, it would be taken. How do we avoid that?

Old 08-02-2007, 08:22 PM

735 posts, read 3,501,796 times
I agree with NChome 95%. The other 5% wonders about how much that boarding will cost- probably mucho dinero!

BUT- that brings us back to what I think is going to be the solution- coming here in person!!

4 dogs is pretty much a deal breaker. And the only way you'd get a break is to meet an animal loving landlord. I sort of doubt you'll be able to do that via email and online. What about boarding the doggies with family/friends just for a month. That should give you and the family (humans) time to move to an area and scout out several towns- go to coffee shops, local markets, and mom & pop places and get to know some people that might point you in the right direction.

I think it will have to be a whole house rental. 4 dogs + apartment is going to be one in a million shot up here. No matter which way you slice it, you have to figure out a temporary solution for the doggies and come here.

I'd even be happy to tour you around some areas and set you on the right path!

Old 08-02-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY'er lost in MA View Post
I agree with NChome 95%. The other 5% wonders about how much that boarding will cost- probably mucho dinero!

BUT- that brings us back to what I think is going to be the solution- coming here in person!!

4 dogs is pretty much a deal breaker. And the only way you'd get a break is to meet an animal loving landlord. I sort of doubt you'll be able to do that via email and online. What about boarding the doggies with family/friends just for a month. That should give you and the family (humans) time to move to an area and scout out several towns- go to coffee shops, local markets, and mom & pop places and get to know some people that might point you in the right direction.

I think it will have to be a whole house rental. 4 dogs + apartment is going to be one in a million shot up here. No matter which way you slice it, you have to figure out a temporary solution for the doggies and come here.

I'd even be happy to tour you around some areas and set you on the right path!
The dogs can stay with my mother in law with my son, but school starts in one month and I have to find a place,organize movers (our stuff is ready to go in storage) and move in all before Sept 4th or August 30 depending on what town works. I appreciate what everyone is saying and wish we could spend the necessary time to look, but we don't have the extra $$ to stay in Boston,rent a car, expenses and on top of the cost of a cross country move not paid for by a company. I'm not making excuses, it's just a difficult situation with tight money and a month to go. If we had friends to stay with, that would have absorbed the largest cost, but we don't. We'll figure it out.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:15 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Default $650?

Sorry you're going through all of this. It must be especially rough to be handling this from a distance. I hope things start working out better SOON.

When I read the original post, I assumed that $650 meant 650,000 for a house you were considering buying. Then several posts talked about rental property. If this was in fact a rental for $650/mo., that would be another red flag. It's way lower than the rent you would expect to pay in the area.

Whatever actually is the case about renting or buying, best of luck getting this all worked out.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Sorry you're going through all of this. It must be especially rough to be handling this from a distance. I hope things start working out better SOON.

When I read the original post, I assumed that $650 meant 650,000 for a house you were considering buying. Then several posts talked about rental property. If this was in fact a rental for $650/mo., that would be another red flag. It's way lower than the rent you would expect to pay in the area.

Whatever actually is the case about renting or buying, best of luck getting this all worked out.
Thank you. I will survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts