U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2011, 12:48 PM

244 posts, read 548,236 times

Advertisements

Anyone bored? LOL? I have a long list of schools my husband found on the Great Schools site that are 8 or above. We may be relocating to the Boston area for his job and have 3 children...14, 11 and 9. If you see a school that we should definitely not look at (or we def. should) could you let me know? If you have any advice, thoughts on homes in any of these areas feel free to share that also. He doesn't mind a commute on the train for an hour or so as he does that now to the Washington DC area. Max we'd like to spend on a single family 'newer' home is $600K.

Thank you in advance!!

8 and up: Acton, Ashland, Bedford, Boxborough, Carlisle, Chelmsford, Concord, Dover, E. Walpole, Franklin, Hopkinton, Holliston, Lexington, Lincoln (RI?), Littleton, Mansfield, Medway, Natick, Norfolk, N. Attleborough, N. Chelmsford, Sharon, Sherborn, S. Attleborough, Southborough, Stow, Sudbury, Upton, Walpole, Wayland Wesborough, Westford and Wrentham

For Great School ratings of 6-7: Bellingham, Foxboro, Maynard, Millis, N. Billerica, Norton, Norwood and Plainville.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 12:57 PM

324 posts, read 1,041,951 times
Where is your husband commuting to? That makes a big difference in how long it will take.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:28 PM

9,143 posts, read 14,194,716 times
Some of those are regional school districts for the upper grades like Lincoln - Sudbury, Acton - Boxborough, Dover - Sherborn, Concord - Carlisle, King Philip (Norfolk, Wrentham, Plainville). I think Southborough is in a regional district, too

South Attleboro is part of the city of Attleboro, I would not recommend the schools.

North Attleborough (note the different spelling) is a different town. Also, East Walpole is just a section of Walpole, not a separate town.

Some of those towns you mentioned will have little to nothing for sale in your price range. Also, we need to know the area where your husband will be working in order to recommend a community that will have train service.

Confused yet?

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-10-2011 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: more

Old 05-10-2011, 02:42 PM

925 posts, read 2,628,672 times
Knowing where in Boston your husband is commuting to would help narrow down your search. If he'll be closer to South Station then Metrowest communities like Hopkinton, Westborough & Southboro would be high on my list. If he'll be commuting to North Station then communities to the north such as Andover or Hamilton/Wenham would be on my list given that they're along the commuter rail & have very well rated schools.

Also, Lincoln-Sudbury and Dover-Sherborn are among the top rated school systems in the state but in some parts of those communities it's tough to get to the commuter rail quickly. Lincoln has a train station but Sudbury doesn't. In Sherborn you can take the train from Natick or Framingham.

You can also check out mbta.com or commutingtoboston.com for more info on commuting options.

And here's some more links to school rankings.
Best Schools 2010: The Rankings - Boston Magazine

21 Massachusetts schools made the U.S. News & World Report’s annual list of Best Public High Schools, including Lexington, Medfield, Millis, Needham, Wayland, and Wellesley High Schools, which were all recognized as Silver Medal Schools, and Hopkinton and Weston High Schools, which both received honorable mentions.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:00 PM

160 posts, read 543,932 times
I think that you can definitely find something in your price range in your Group A (schools with ratings 8 and above), but I think if you want newer with a max budget of 600,000 you are going to have to looks at towns outside of 128 (or compromise on the schools). I think you will find it difficult (or maybe just unrealistic) to find "newer" housing in the following towns within your budget: Lexington, Needham, Wayland, Wellesley, Sudbury, Weston, Concord. I think you will have more success finding newer housing in the towns along 495 (Westborough, Southborough, Northborough, Hopkinton, Holliston, Ashland) if you are commuting to the Back Bay / South Station area of Boston. They will take a little more than an hour on train, so longer door to door.

There are other towns you mentioned, that may make more sense for your commute, but without that information it is hard to recommend.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:37 PM

Sorry, I should've said that most of those schools are high schools as we have one going into next year.
I didn't know that North Attleboro and South Attleborough were two totally different places. I thought they were just above and below Attleboro and heard that is one place that we may not want to look (the regular Attleboro.) These spellings confuse this mid-Atlantic girl!
As for where in Boston, he thinks it's Back Bay...he'll be in the John Hancock building if anyone knows what station is closest to there?

Thanks!

Old 05-10-2011, 09:20 PM

The John Hancock building would be an easy walk from the Back Bay commuter rail stop. It's also very accessible from the green line on the subway (Copley stop).

So, if you look at the towns on the commuter rail lines that stop at Back Bay and those along the green line, you might like Natick, Newton, Needham, Westborough, Southborough, and Sharon. Newton and Needham might be tough in your price range, but you never know.

Just to add the subway map is here:
http://mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/

And the commuter rail map is here:
http://mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/rail/

Last edited by NotAPrincess; 05-10-2011 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 05-10-2011, 11:19 PM

17,735 posts, read 31,141,146 times
Acton is terrific and has two commuter rail stops. The Purple Line runs to the Red Line in Cambridge, and I think goes straight through to North Station.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:15 AM

Thanks! I'm really liking Westborough (at least online) right now. Natick is nice too, but a bit expensive...my oldest has a peer moving there (her father is in the Army) and will be at Wellesley High, so if we go there too at least he'll have one familiar face! Four people from my small town MD have moved up to the Boston area in the last 2 years...guess jobs are moving north!

Old 05-11-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Acton is terrific and has two commuter rail stops. The Purple Line runs to the Red Line in Cambridge, and I think goes straight through to North Station.
True, but then you'd have to take the green line from North Station to Copley, which would add significantly to the commute. But, it's about 55 minutes on the train from Acton to North Station, and then would be probably 15 more to get to Copley (sometimes more, sometimes less).

Agree on Acton though. It's a great town. Maybe worth the longer commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts