Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 10:28 PM

4 posts, read 14,869 times

Advertisements

nicklag87, You are right on point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 04:50 PM

16 posts, read 80,737 times
Default living in brockton

Brockton has become the roxbury and dorchester in< Boston > NOT A SAFE CITY, no matter where you travel thru it.....look elsewhere to live for you and your family's safety !

Old 02-20-2009, 05:42 PM

2 posts, read 5,816 times
Default brockton is not bad

I was born in Brockton and I now work there. I must say that it is not as bad as so many people make it out to be. It could be a really nice city if only people would stop talking bad about. The reputation is what drives people away and after all, it is the city of champions.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:44 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,975,842 times
I was born in Brockton, and when I turned four, my family moved to Avon.
I still hold fond memories of Brockton, and Avon.
I moved to the west coast in 1971.
There is an old saying, "Nothing last forever".
It is extremely sad to hear what most are saying about Brockton.
I havn't been back to the east coast in over thirty years, and even though my favorite city has undergone a big change, I will always have great memories of my childhood in that area.
I coud write a book about that great city that was my life in those early years.
Where are the city leaders?
Why are they being so complacent if the city is becomming such a slum?
Does no one care what is happening to the city?
It would only take a dedicated few to get the ball rolling.
I guess I can call myself fortunate that I don't have to see it in person.
If it has become what most of you say it has,seeing it would break my heart.
When I lived in the area, I was closely associated with Thorny Lee golf club, and the Brockton Country club.
Oh the memories.
Bob.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:34 PM

5 posts, read 214,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megancolleen View Post
Brockton has become the roxbury and dorchester in< Boston > NOT A SAFE CITY, no matter where you travel thru it.....look elsewhere to live for you and your family's safety !
Wow! Ridiculous comment. Have you been to Brockton. By no means is Brockton "Newton like" but "not safe no matter where you travel"? That's a comment based on rep. I lived in Brockton for my first 26 years of life, my parents still live there, they hav never had a problem. My friens and I played in teh streets all day and night. Rode our bikes to the store etc. never an issue. Sure there are some rough streets, but aren't there any non "rich town".

What you do, is stay away from the gheto streets. Keyword being streets. Not the entire city. Once again, i'm not saying it's teh safest city in Mass, but the bashing it is getting is completly undeserved.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:29 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,021,203 times
^don't let it get you.

She's unaware that Dorchester and Roxbury are huge areas of Boston containing a real solid mix of good and bad areas... MANY good ones.

Brockton, like most other "struggling" cities has areas to avoid, but certainly not the entire city. Not even 1/4 of it. It's aggrivating when people act as if Brockton and other Gateway cities are essentially black holes on the state map.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-23-2009 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Don't attack other posters, argue ideas instead.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:04 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times
You're not going to get murdered just because you're living in Brockton, but in my opinion if you can find another place to live, do it. My friends grandfather lives there...I think he's in his early 80s or so. He was watering his lawn or getting the mail, or something...anyway, some kid who was trying to get into a gang had to shoot someone in order to get in, so he walked up and shot him a few times in the back. He didn't die, but it's just not a very nice area in many places.

I also had a classmate get stabbed a few times there in high school, but he was involved with some shady drug-deal or something so it wasn't like he was an innocent bystander.

I live in a town called Scituate, we're about an hour away from Brockton. It's a beautiful area, especially in the summer. However it is pretty expensive. Cohasset, Hingham and Duxbury are all very nice too, but they're even more expensive than Scituate (and they're quite snobby). A great place to look would be Marshfield. It has very expensive areas, like Marshfield Hills, but it also has plenty of bargains too. It's right on the coast and has many very nice beaches.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:31 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
You're not going to get murdered just because you're living in Brockton, but in my opinion if you can find another place to live, do it. My friends grandfather lives there...I think he's in his early 80s or so. He was watering his lawn or getting the mail, or something...anyway, some kid who was trying to get into a gang had to shoot someone in order to get in, so he walked up and shot him a few times in the back. He didn't die, but it's just not a very nice area in many places.
I know the incident you mean:
YouTube - Elderly man shot Wednesday in Brockton

Old 02-25-2009, 05:47 PM

6 posts, read 44,124 times
Vnek, Nicklag and others who actually know what they are talking about...I'm looking to purchase rental property and considering Brockton. Could you recomend neighborhoods in Brockton that the typical renter would be a hard working, blue collar, family oriented?

Old 02-27-2009, 01:54 PM

8 posts, read 36,356 times
you realize mattapan, dorchester, and jamaica plain are all in boston, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts