Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 02:10 PM

8 posts, read 36,356 times

Advertisements

oh yeah! i didn't even think to mention what vneck mentioned. i've seen deer and such in my neighborhood as well cause i live near the woods, strangely we've also seen deer far from the woods, kind of in the more urban parts, just running through peoples yards XD. If you live near woods and have a small dog, watch him cause of coyotes, but don't worry, the coyotes don't carry guns, or at least they usually dont... :/ (jk obviously)

another thing to be aware of though is the neighboring areas to your part. the most secure places are near the town lines usually, and they aren't going to be expensive (i wouldn't think)

my neighborhood is really nice and i would think it's also inexpensive (south east), but i live right near probably the worst apt complex in brockton and then i also live right near crown place condos which my friend used to live in and it was very trashy, idk about dangerous, but people there were very trashy. literally, they left trash all over the lobby all the time. There's an elementary school so school police are almost always in the area or using the parking lot for a speed trap. the only bad things in my neighborhood that happened were with drug dealers that i didn't even know lived there. so unless you deal mass amounts of coke and live like a small time scar face you don't have anything to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 07:54 PM

11 posts, read 51,154 times
I used to live in Brockton, and I really loved it there; it is probably one of my favorite places in all of Massachusetts! While it is undeniable that there is crime, in my opinion that shouldn't deter someone from taking advantage of all the great things a community has to offer. Brockton is very culturally rich, and Brocktonians hail from all over the place (of course there's the born-and-rasied, then many people from Haiti, Jamaica, Cape Verde, Puerto Rico, Lithuania, Trinidad, Liberia, Angola, Brazil, Portugal, Poland, and I could go on There's a lot of good community organizations and programs and just a great feel to the city. I would definitely recommend it, just don't look for trouble and chances are you won't find any.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:13 AM

1 posts, read 3,313 times
Brockton is nothing but a huge cesspool i went to the store to buy cigs and there was a woman in there with a black and blue face...some crackhead thought she had money and tried to rob her.turns out she had no money, so she just got beat up.don"t let nobody fool you,this is not a "city of champions" it is a toiolet

Old 01-30-2010, 08:41 AM

12,860 posts, read 22,021,203 times
^Yeah! Brockton's the worst place on earth! Nowhere else is worse!

(learn to spell)

Old 03-17-2011, 01:00 AM

2 posts, read 5,895 times
Look, I have lived in Brockton my whole life and I want to land a job teaching at the high school there someday. It is a marvelous city (NOT a town). Every street, whether it be a main street or a little side road, is lit well with street lights, so you don't have to worry about "being alone in the dark there." There are some shootings, but there are always going to be shootings in a city of 100000 people--look at Boston, Lowell, Lawrence, Worcester, Springfield, Lynn, New Bedford, Fall River, Taunton, etc. And hey--few to none of the shootings are "chance occurrances." Everything is gang or drug-related, so steer clear of that stuff and you'll be all set. I have never been afraid in Brockton, and I have never felt like I have gotten "dirty looks" from people. No bullet holes in me, and nor am I ever expecting one. The high school DOES have over 4000 students going there, but it uses its numbers to its advantage and I don't know anyone there who regrets the size or feels left out. The multiculturalism is good too, it is another strength of the city. There is TONS of shopping in Brockton: there is a pretty decent shopping mall there (the first indoor mall in MA), around the mall are tons of shopping plazas and strip malls with even more shops, and many other strip malls and plazas in other areas of the city. There are several main streets in the city, and many ethnic and traditional restaurants and bars. Brockton has three (3) commuter rail stops and is about a 20 minute scenic drive from Boston and a 20 minute drive from Mansfield, home to Massachusett's main concert arena (great shows can also be seen in Boston and underrated Providence, which Brockton is also somewhat close to). I would recommend Brockton it to anyone interested. It truly is a beautiful and historic city (eg. Thomas Edison set up shop and did some of his work harnessing electricity there)!

Everybody who has said "Don't go there, it's slummy," has either not been there OR has been there but was looking to find bad things about the city. I can find bad things about EVERY city or town if I want to, if I just look for them. IGNORE THESE WARNINGS AND SEE IT FOR YOURSELF. There are neighborhoods for every type of person: from somewhat slummy neighborhoods with huge multifamily homes that are close together, to beautiful neighborhoods with mansions where dwell the more wealthy, Brockton has you covered. TRY IT.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:01 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dforrest View Post
a 20 minute scenic drive from Boston.
pause.............bahahahahaha!!!

In all fairness Brockton really is a mixed bag with some beautiful areas to it and some wonderful people. Personally I prefer the quiet/security of the smaller towns, however.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:33 AM

283 posts, read 990,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It IS a nice drive, thru the Blue Hills and Avon on 24 - I worked for the City for 3 years back in the 80's it is not as bad as it is made out to be, commuter rail right into south station to boot

Old 03-22-2011, 03:40 PM

41 posts, read 146,825 times
I wouldn't even waste your time looking into Brockton.. try surrounding towns like Easton, Mansfield, Norton, Canton, Stoughton.. some places in brockton might be "ok" but you still don't want to send your kids anywhere near those schools, last year high school kids were shooting each other over stupid stuff and killing each other and shooting at each other in the mall.. unless you can only afford to live in the crap whole, than please DON'T!

Old 04-01-2011, 01:39 AM

2 posts, read 5,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post

In all fairness Brockton really is a mixed bag with some beautiful areas to it and some wonderful people. Personally I prefer the quiet/security of the smaller towns, however.
Actually, it IS a beautiful drive into Boston, like I said. Granted, the traffic gets to be REALLY REALLY bad--the worst in the entire state--but that just gives you time to enjoy the scenery:

Route 24 itself is not exceptionally scenic, but once you get onto 93, you first travel through Mass' beautiful Blue Hills in Canton/Milton/Randolph, then a minute later you're joining up with Route 3 and passing under a couple of interestingly-angled bridges, and then a minute later you're passing by the headquarters of The Boston Globe and passing alongside the waterfront looking upon Boston. The IBEW windmill is to your left, and to your right is the famous Keystone Gas Tank. Boston is ahead of you, and water to your right. It is a much more beautiful and scenic view than the Mass. Pike or the North of Boston parts of 93 / Route 1 have to offer.

Bahahahahaha!!!

Though I do have to admit that the surrounding towns (particularly to the North, West, and South--stay away from the East) are very quaint, "New England Towns;" I prefer Easton myself, they are much more expensive to live in and they do lack a lot of the resources and opportunities that Brockton provides.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,809 times
hey dont knock brockton, you can get a hooker at any hour of the day, and crack is plentiful. there are many interesting "exotic" neighborhoods. any day now they should be doing a remake of boys in tha hood . I almost forgot, the brockton fair-where carnies are the upper crust of society
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts